Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #21
HomerSGR
What?

I'm left handed, but I play right handed.

Started to play in school in music class in eight grade, and there was no lefties available - I learned three basic chords and since then I've never looked back. My brother is right handed, and our progress has been pretty much equal over a 6 year period.

I have since learned that my all time favourite player, Janick Gers of Iron Maiden, is left handed - as is Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits, Carlos Santana and Steve Morse of Deep Purple. They all play regular right handed guitars.

I do understand that there might be a preference in the beginning though - I've always had to work hard on my picking technique (and I've struggled with a tendency to strum and pick very hard), whereas the fretting has come natural - and thus I might have an advantage at the techniques which only involve my dominant hand - I often get complimented on my vibrato and accurate bends (which I wouldn't trade for anything).

I would like to add that I still play air guitar like a lefty. There's no way around that.

Yamaha SG2000
Gibson LP Std Faded
Gibson LP Deluxe
Fender Am Std Strat
Fender Std Strat
Fender Am Std Tele
Fender Am Std Tele
Charvel San Dimas
ESP Eclipse 1CTM
Jackson RR5
Ibanez RG1XXV
PRS SE C24
Schecter Blackjack V-1

Last edited by HomerSGR : 09-04-2013 at 08:33 PM.
HomerSGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #22
Roc8995

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintVitus
Everything you've typed seems to make sense.

I'm slightly drunk and that other post was more of a rant than anything so you should probably just ignore it.

Fair enough. I'm sure it's frustrating to put up with stuff meant for right handed people and just being told to deal with it on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSGR
I would like to add that I still play air guitar like a lefty. There's no way around that.

This is the question we really needed the answer to. Thank you.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #23
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton

My brother is left-handed. I believe more companies should make more guitars left-handed, and that it's unfortunate that left-handed instruments often cost more.

However things like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgioAntonio
Left handed guitarists have A LOT more dedication and commitment to playing the guitar.

Are, with all due respect, silly and dumb. I don't care if someone plays righty, lefty, or all of the above. I care about their knowledge and ability. That's what determines their dedication and commitment, not their handedness.

As far as lefty models being more expensive, that's just simple math. 10% of the world's population is left-handed. Since you're selling one lefty to every nine righties, you have to increase the price to make it make sense to keep the extra CNC machines, employees, etc. to make the mirrored models. You sell fewer, but they take the same amount of effort, time, money, resources, etc. to make. So you're spending the same amount, and getting less return on it.

This is also why there are so few in the stores; every lefty guitar you send to a store is only going to appeal to 10% of your possible customers. It doesn't make economic sense to make a ton of them.

Baltimore Orioles: 96-66, 2014 AL Eastern division champions
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 9-5
2014 Pick 'Em: 150-72-1
necrosis1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #24
Roc8995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Monk
To be fair, Saint was refering to left handed people trying to learn right handed guitar. This is an issue of course, because learning anything with your non-dominant hand is difficult. Have you ever played Tennis or Ping-pong with you opposite hand? For most it's much more difficult.

Did you read any of my posts? The guitar is not a right handed instrument. It has no inherent handedness. You play it with both hands, and neither has a position of enough importance or specificity that it requires dominant orientation. Lefty guitars aren't inherently left-oriented, they're just mirrored. You started with one because you thought you needed to, but if you'd have started with a "right handed" instrument I bet you'd have learned it up just as well.

It's totally false that learning anything with your dominant hand is difficult; learning dominant-sensitive activities is, but there are a lot of things that aren't dominant-sensitive. Painting, definitely. Driving a car, not to any meaningful degree. Chess, definitely not.

My entire point is that guitar is not like tennis or ping pong, so it is silly to compare them that way. It is like piano, or typing at a keyboard. Those things do not have a handed dominance, so there is no reason to call it a right-handed guitar any more than you'd call a piano a right-handed piano. It's just a piano, it's just a guitar, "lefty" is a poor convention that doesn't reflect reality.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #25
deadsmileyface
vertigo

Location: ~~~ lost in the patterns of youth where the windows shine brightly back at u ~~~
Tony Iommi, my hero, is a lefty. Hendrix was also a lefty and so was Cobain.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #26
deathroman13

I am left handed as well but I started playing on a right handed guitar and now I couldn't even play on a left handed guitar.

Now it feels natural for me to play right handed and I see it as an advantage that my fret hand is my dominant hand.

It doesn't really matter if You are right of left handed, You can learn to play both ways and your problems Will be solved.
deathroman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
Nico the Great
Damned Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsmileyface
Tony Iommi, my hero, is a lefty. Hendrix was also a lefty and so was Cobain.

And 2/3 of these people are dead.

Nah but, really, I'm right handed. Nobody is judging you based on your handedness, OP.

Damned Icon - Portraits of a Man EP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Nico the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #28
jjfeu662
Celestia

I'm a lefty but learned righty. I have never had any of these problems.
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs
ALL HAIL CELESTIA
jjfeu662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #29
deadsmileyface
vertigo

Location: ~~~ lost in the patterns of youth where the windows shine brightly back at u ~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico the Great
And 2/3 of these people are dead.

Nah but, really, I'm right handed. Nobody is judging you based on your handedness, OP.

good point.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #30
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

All the right hand drummers can't play in time with their left hand.

Most piano players are probably right handed, yet the dominant rhythm is played always by the left hand, and piano players since 1600 seem to be doing fine.

So by the logic of one of the oldest instruments (piano) rhythm should be dictated by left! So it would makes more sense to play right handed anyway.

A sax or flute players picks notes with both hands, you don't notice that half of a melody sounds out of place, because the valves of said notes are pressed with the left hand.

The ONLY thing important on guitar, is that the picking hand is dominant and the fretting hand should follow that.

That being said it might be to late to shift, but you could try.

Why do people say to switch or other seemingly negative replies? Well what else is there to say...?

"oh I feel your pain"
"oh that sucks for you"
"at least there are some lefthanded companies "

This is typical self fulfilling prophecy, and you get it if you act butthurt.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 09-07-2013 at 06:40 AM.
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #31
voncameron

I'm a lefty, and I play lefty. I saw Cobain and hendrix do it, and I thought it would be better if I did it that way *shrug* Sure, the selection is slim, but you can play a right handed guitar and get the general feel, even upside down, plus when you do find a lefty that you enjoy, it's really really special. Also, I kind of like being different. Being left-handed, and dominantly so, factors into everyday life, and idk, it's pretty dumb, but I like the fact that I can show off that I'm different in a big way. Plus no one messes with my guitars.

Also I don't feel in anyway superior for being a left-handed guitar player. Left-handed in general? Well, yea, but certainly not in the context of a guitar player. Thats just absurd.
voncameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #32
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Just buy a right handed guitar and turn it upside down and restring it (and you may need to do something to the nut) like Hendrix did. Problem solved. Maybe buy a "symmetrical" shaped guitar like Flying V, SG or PRS and it won't even look weird (also, a reverse-Strat is a Mosrite).

And who cares if you are left or right handed? The only thing that matters is whether you can play the guitar or not.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #33
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Are you suggesting that Hendrix inspired people to be left handed?

Fender wouldn't even make Jimi a lefty while he was alive. Just goes to show it's about the market and not the 'inspiration,' I guess.

that is incorrect. jimi felt for some reason that leftie guitar would be inferior in quality. he did get a leftie V from Gibson. you could special order a leftie strat from fender at the time.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: