Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 09-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
hunk143
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Buying My First Electric Guitar? Suggest Please!

Hello everyone, i want to buy my first electric guitar and i can spend only 200$ right now.
I'm more into Pop/Blue/Rock kind of music.
I already have a AMP and other stuff.

Here's the link to guitars i've thought of buying.

Fender Bullet Strat HSS
[forbidden link]


Fender Bullet Strat SSS
[forbidden link]

Fender Squire California SSS
[forbidden link]

Epiphone Les Paul LP100
[forbidden link]

Fender Fat Strat
[forbidden link]

Yamaha Pacifica 112J
[forbidden link]

Yamaha Pacifica 012J
[forbidden link]

Last edited by hunk143 : 09-05-2013 at 05:27 AM.
hunk143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
Minimallamb
Registered User
 
Minimallamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Personally, I'd stay away form the bullet Strats. I'd recommend the Yamaha 112J. I haven't played one of the Epiphones. The best thing to do would be to try a few out to see how they feel, I've found especially with cheaper guitars, the feel of each one is very inconsistent. I have a Squier Tele that I play as much as my MIA Jaguar
__________________
Misha Mansoor:
Quote:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
Minimallamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Jim #4
Registered User
 
Jim #4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Inside the Cynic
save a little more money. from my expirience, cheaper instruments make you feel like you dont progress because they keep sounding bad.

what about an ibanez S series around 300$ ?

you will have much more fun with that thing
Jim #4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
Jazzmandtk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I agree about the saving up a bit for a better instrument part. My first electric was an Epiphone Les Paul and though it was a good guitar I realized quickily I wasn't a fan of the Les Paul sound compared to the sound of a Strat. Think of your favorite guitar players and what style of guitar they play and go from there (for a cheaper model of course)
Jazzmandtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Lin689
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Try out the guitars, buy whichever you like most. But don't rush it, take your time and try out the guitars several times...

There's definitely some quality difference between 200$ and 1200$ guitar, but from my experience the main difference is electronics... So go for the guitar that looks well built, proper wood, preferably single piece body etc. Then when/if you get really annoyed with the sound of guitar (which you probably will), you can put in some better pickups and electronics.
Lin689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
WantsLesPaul
Nod to my Nod
 
WantsLesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: *nods*
I started out with a Pacifica 112J. I think it's a fine guitar to start with.
__________________
🐙🐙🐙🐙🐙🐙
we b all just sqids in de pond bb
WantsLesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
ryanbwags
Registered User
 
ryanbwags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Can't beat the strat for the blues/rock sound. Definitely don't get a bullet. It would be worth the extra 100 to save up for at least a squire. Can't speak for the Yamahas personally. The fat strat could be good because you get the Fender single coil and a humbucker in the bridge for a little diversity.
You really need to go put hands on them, just to see what's comfortable for you, though.
Try used stuff too. If you're in the States, most Guitar Centers have some pretty interesting stuff on the used wall. Your local small guitar shop could be a good resource too. Don't be afraid to go hang out and get some insight there.
__________________
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
EHX: Metal Muff
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
EHX: Big Muff Pi
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
ryanbwags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
SomeBlueKind
Banned
 
SomeBlueKind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I think this is sure to cover your needs:
http://www.daisyrock.com/products/s...fly-short-scale

You can deposit the savings from the $200 into my account.
SomeBlueKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
luvmygibby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
It would be in your best interest to hold out and save your money for an instrument that is in the 600-700 dollar range. Otherwise, you will need to replace your instrument, as someone else said, you won't feel like you progress. You'll notice things like the hardware and wood are cheap and will affect your playing and the sounds you produce.

Take your time and actually go and feel which guitars you actually like to hold and play. This will make a huge difference too. One of my favorite sounding guitars that I have had was a BC Rich and it sounded awesome for metal, BUT, the body made it very uncomfortable for me to play.

If you absolutely feel like you can't wait (and I know the feeling), find something good that is used, but try to stay away from the internet when buying something used. You want to be able to look down the neck to make sure it isn't warped.

Good Luck!
luvmygibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
gay4slipknot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
My first guitar was a Fender Squier and it was pretty aweful (nut cracked, fret wire indented, tuners didnt hold tune, thread in the trem arm went, just general bad sound) but it did and still does make sense as a beginner guitar, they're probably the nicest looking budget guitars you can get and with them being single coils is very cheap to change out the pickups, you just got to find one which has a decently made neck. Im more of a Les Paul fan personally but I have to say looking at a photo of a LP100 it looked cheap and nasty but its probably going to have the best sound. Yamahas..... i don't like them but from other peoples opinions some say they're miles better in quality than squier, some say they lack the character, coin toss really.
gay4slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
marianoarnaiz
Registered User
 
marianoarnaiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: caracas venezuela
If you can make the jump from a starters guitar to a Fender real guitar (even a made in mexico one) you won't regret it
marianoarnaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
chancecooper1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Asheville NC
I've been playing for 10 plus years and I've owned probably 12 guitars in that time.. My last purchase was a Squier Standard Tele and I've gotta say I'm really happy with it. Any beginner would be chuffed to have a guitar like that.

Don't listen to the guys that say you need to spend six or seven hundred dollars just to have a decent instrument. It's simply not the truth. Obviously the more you are able to spend, generally speaking you will get a better quality instrument. Spending too much starting out is a mistake though for sure. You can get playable guitars for under 300 easy.

+1 to the guy who said try them out extensively before you buy em. Especially in the lower ranges of guitars, the difference in tone and feel between two guitars that look the exact same can be pretty dramatic.
chancecooper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
ryanbwags
Registered User
 
ryanbwags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancecooper1
I've been playing for 10 plus years and I've owned probably 12 guitars in that time.. My last purchase was a Squier Standard Tele and I've gotta say I'm really happy with it. Any beginner would be chuffed to have a guitar like that.

Don't listen to the guys that say you need to spend six or seven hundred dollars just to have a decent instrument. It's simply not the truth. Obviously the more you are able to spend, generally speaking you will get a better quality instrument. Spending too much starting out is a mistake though for sure. You can get playable guitars for under 300 easy.


This guy knows. My favorite guitar right now is my explorer I built kit style about 10 years ago. Sure, it's been changed about 3 times since then, but I keep going back to her. Initially, it only cost $250 to build. I have 1 guitar that was more than $700 bucks. All my others max out at $300 bucks each at time of purchase. I like to hot rod them, though. So none are really stock.
__________________
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
EHX: Metal Muff
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
EHX: Big Muff Pi
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
ryanbwags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #14
hunk143
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbwags
Can't beat the strat for the blues/rock sound. Definitely don't get a bullet. It would be worth the extra 100 to save up for at least a squire. Can't speak for the Yamahas personally. The fat strat could be good because you get the Fender single coil and a humbucker in the bridge for a little diversity.
You really need to go put hands on them, just to see what's comfortable for you, though.
Try used stuff too. If you're in the States, most Guitar Centers have some pretty interesting stuff on the used wall. Your local small guitar shop could be a good resource too. Don't be afraid to go hang out and get some insight there.


I'm thinking of buying CA Fat Strat HSS and there's another expensive option of CA Affinity Start SSS.
Which one do you guys recommend?
hunk143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #15
samuraigoomba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I have yet to play a good standard squier. My friend had a standard Squier tele and it was a nightmare.

There was a great thread earlier about used guitars under $100. Go read that. Of the choices you listed, I'd definitely get a Pacifica before any sub-$250 Squier. Maybe you could go used and get a Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe.

If you end up liking guitar and get a standard squier, you will probably be selling it for a real guitar inside of six months. And the amount you'll spend to get it set up or fix the electronics when they fail could have gone into the initial purchase price of a better instrument.

For a bit more than $200, you could get a Godin Session or Malden Karma from Guitar Center's used website. As in, get someone to give you a $30 loan, and you'll have a guitar that can probably compare reasonably well with Fender's USA line. That's a hell of a lot better than a Standard Squier. Well, whatever you do, remember to go used to save money.

You can get very playable guitars for under $300 easy, but imo the Squier standard and affinity guitars are not generally those guitars.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
hunk143
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba
I have yet to play a good standard squier. My friend had a standard Squier tele and it was a nightmare.

There was a great thread earlier about used guitars under $100. Go read that. Of the choices you listed, I'd definitely get a Pacifica before any sub-$250 Squier. Maybe you could go used and get a Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe.

If you end up liking guitar and get a standard squier, you will probably be selling it for a real guitar inside of six months. And the amount you'll spend to get it set up or fix the electronics when they fail could have gone into the initial purchase price of a better instrument.

For a bit more than $200, you could get a Godin Session or Malden Karma from Guitar Center's used website. As in, get someone to give you a $30 loan, and you'll have a guitar that can probably compare reasonably well with Fender's USA line. That's a hell of a lot better than a Standard Squier. Well, whatever you do, remember to go used to save money.

You can get very playable guitars for under $300 easy, but imo the Squier standard and affinity guitars are not generally those guitars.


Thank you so much, for detailed info.
Well its my birthday this month and i'll have to buy a guitar anyway as i can't wait.
And it all goes bad i'll buy an MIM Fender or some other better one after few months if i really like it.
hunk143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #17
Simcoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Squire Tele classic vibe
Simcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:27 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.