Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
Ricky Nelson

Question Ricky Nelson fan looking to pick up a guitar - But can I really learn?

Hello everyone!
For several months now I have been thinking about learning guitar but due to several issues I wasn't sure whether I should or even could!

Okay, let me explain from the start, first off when I was nine years old my parents sent me to have piano lessons, I absolutely hated it and my teacher would slap me on the hands with a ruler and yell at me all the time. I never did end up learning piano, I would occasionally try to repeat songs I heard on the home piano when my aunt was away and even "invent" my own songs that I played by ear until I was 12. Then they sold the piano and that's the end of my piano episode.

In school we had music classes which I also hated, partly because I didn't like that everyone was singing at the same time, the fact that the songs were just dumb or maybe because I was singing false because I am a bit hard of hearing which is one of the issues here. They tried to teach us the flute but I never did end up understanding or learning the music sheet system.

When I turned 15 I found some old records at my Grandparents' house and discovered some old records. From there on I became a bit of an audiophile, listening to many different genres and artists and collecting CDs for years to come. That's how I discovered that I didn't hate music but in fact loved it! I just hated "bad" music.

I particularly fell in love with the music of (yeah, you probably guessed!) Ricky Nelson and Buddy Holly! Then at the age of 23 I'm feeling the desire to learn how to play the guitar myself but I'm still clouded by uncertainty, here are some of my issues due to which I'm still wondering whether I actually could learn the guitar: I'm hard of hearing and due to this I have some motor coordination issues, due to some health issues I have a very bad memory and a short attention span. But then I'm told guitar uses different music sheets that are easier to learn to read?

I have to say I don't know anything about guitar, I understand there are different types even amongst the non-electric variety? Can electric guitar songs be converted to normal guitar? What would be a good way to get started learning guitar? Do you think that considering my health issues I could still learn guitar? Maybe it's too late to learn (I'm 23)?

Thanks all for your time! Here's an awesome guitar song that I like: youtube.com/watch?v=xHQUwQiaMEU

Last edited by Ricky Nelson : 09-07-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Ricky Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
stepchildusmc

it's never too late. i started at 43. i'm half deaf and have issues with tones sometimes. i've broken every finger at least twice.
i have no real issues learning to play.
the best way to start to learn is of course..... to buy a guitar. i recommend a decent all solid wood guitar and when you do get it, have it "set up" at a competant guitar shop/luthier. guitars as a general rule are set up horribly right out of the box. the big mistake a lot of people make is to think that it's going to be playable as soon as it's bought. a decent guitar will start at around $200 or more.
i strongly recommend a good teacher( if you see a ruler sitting around, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE !!!) if a teacher is not an option, theres always the online method, not a fan of that as you dont have an opportunity to have someone point out mistakes that could be corrected early on.
a few good sites are Justinguitar.com( excellent learners site) and martywchwartz.com to name a few popular ones.
good luck on your journey. it's tough for the first few months but gets incredibly easier once you get the mechanics of it ironed out.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Ricky Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
it's never too late. i started at 43. i'm half deaf and have issues with tones sometimes. i've broken every finger at least twice.
i have no real issues learning to play.
the best way to start to learn is of course..... to buy a guitar. i recommend a decent all solid wood guitar and when you do get it, have it "set up" at a competant guitar shop/luthier. guitars as a general rule are set up horribly right out of the box. the big mistake a lot of people make is to think that it's going to be playable as soon as it's bought. a decent guitar will start at around $200 or more.
i strongly recommend a good teacher( if you see a ruler sitting around, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE !!!) if a teacher is not an option, theres always the online method, not a fan of that as you dont have an opportunity to have someone point out mistakes that could be corrected early on.
a few good sites are Justinguitar.com( excellent learners site) and martywchwartz.com to name a few popular ones.
good luck on your journey. it's tough for the first few months but gets incredibly easier once you get the mechanics of it ironed out.

Thank you for your response!
I'm starting a master course at college in a few days so I will be a bit short on cash for lessons (I checked and in my town it's like 30 bucks per hour!) but I would definitely be able to put some cash aside for a guitar and some online courses. Is 500 Euros a good budget for starters?

What about the tab system, is that easier to read and learn than classical music? Is it less confusing?

By the way I was wondering; is something like the song that I posted something that's difficult to play? He's playing an "acoustic" guitar, correct? Not sure if there are different types.
Ricky Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
stepchildusmc

500 euros will get you a decent guitar like a yamaha fg700s with tons of change. the tabsystem is prety easy once you figure out the basics. its much easier than learning how to read sheet music, although sheet is more accurate.
i'm not sure on the song....it didnt post to your thread.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
guitar_guyz

The best time to start guitar is RIGHT NOW!

I have have had students well into their sixties pick up the guitar for the first time and start playing, so 23 is definitely not too old.

Quote:
What about the tab system, is that easier to read and learn than classical music? Is it less confusing?

Some people find TAB easier to understand - especially if you haven't had formal training in music notation. Basically TAB points out where your fingers need to go, and you have to listen to recordings of the song to pick up on rhythms, etc.

Good luck!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Bikewer

Ricky Nelson, eh? Man, you're diggin' deep. Hell, I used to watch Ozzie and Harriet with the Nelson boys...
Always kind of liked him... "Garden Party" was (and is) a great tune.

I started playing at about age 26, and still going strong some 40 years later. Go to it!
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
tuxs

Wow Bike, I thought Cranky and I were the only matured cheeses here. Cheers
tuxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
stepchildusmc

guess i fall under just plain "cheese" i call the Gouda !!! (smoked of course)
Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #9
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i don't think of myself as cheese, but i have been playing for 45 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxs
Wow Bike, I thought Cranky and I were the only matured cheeses here. Cheers
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
tuxs

Yes Patti 45 years does give you entry to the senior division. We could start a group.

" The fossils" Cheers
tuxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
ghobby

If you're not sure if you'll take to it, try to rent a guitar for a month. If you like it, great most places will take the rental fee as part of a payment. If you don't then you haven't invested much.

23 is not too old, I was 38 when I started.

Have fun
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: