Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
samuelzz10

What should I do?

I know I made a thread on this forum a while ago, and I was a dick. I'm very sorry, but I need advise on what to do in this situation.

I recently started a band with a few friends that is having a hard time getting its shit together because we all live in different parts of a town, and the only members that can meet up on a regular basis are the bass player, the drummer, and me, the lead singer/rhythm guitarist. Also, we almost all are taking a lot of Pre-ap and ap classes so we can't find much time to play either.

My bass player has been causing a lot of crap recently though. He is really determined to make this band become a national success, and has un-realistic ideas of success and thinks that within a year we'll all be living the high life. But last night, me and another member were on a Skype chat with him and whenever we tried to choose a band name that wasn't the one he wanted (to clarify, the name he wants is Penumbra) he dropped out the call and we had to beg him to get back on so we could try and choose a name.

For most people, a band member that pulled off shit like that would've gotten kicked out already, but he is actually a good bass player, and guitar player, that composes and plays bass semi-professionally (Highest level school band, to clarify) and he also is the only member that clears up his schedule of personal hobbies to go to band meets, and he makes no compromises.

Also, he really likes modern punk rock bands like Blink 182 and Sum 41, while me and the other members are trying to make music more like KISS and Deep Purple. He basically tries to introduce modern punk rock bass riffs into songs we try to re-vamp like
Maybe I'm a Leo and Sharp Dressed Man.

On top of all this, we can't for the life of us find any people who actually know how to play bass besides him.

So, should I kick him out or keep him in because he is a legitimately good bass player? (he can play Tippi Toes perfectly)
samuelzz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
aviator42009

That name he wants is taken by the way.
aviator42009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
samuelzz10

Ok, today we did finally get a name. (Ultra-Mega-Cannon, if you were curious) but still, I'm wondering if I should keep him. It should be also noted, all the other band members think he's really obnoxious.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

take a lesson from beer fest "das boot! das boot! das boot!"

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
Ignore

sounds like a fun band
Ignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Does he have a tantrum if he's out-voted, or does he "take one for the team"?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
samuelzz10

He never takes one for the team. Also, he isn't willing to put any money into any equipment that he doesn't get to keep in his house.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ I'm not sure why he would have to put money towards gear that isn't bass related.

If he cannot make compromises, the band is going to fail. Being in a band (not a session band - different!) is all about constructive criticism and compromises.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
samuelzz10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
^^^ I'm not sure why he would have to put money towards gear that isn't bass related.

Mostly recording equipment that can be shared amoung all the band members.

I think I'll just get a new bass player, or become one.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ So if he helped pay for "recording equipment" then left the band, what would happen to the recording equipment?
Old 09-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

^ Or if the band breaks up, leaving no original members left together, what happens to the recording equipment?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Old 09-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #12
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Or if you can't agree how to play a song what are you going to record?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
samuelzz10

Oops, haven't been in in a while. All of the band members signed a contract we all made that said the longest running member in the band got to keep anything more than one member funded, and we all signed it at the same time as to make sure I wasn't by default the longest running member
Old 09-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #14
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ You made an agreement that you would lose money if you leave the band? If you kicked the drummer, would he be entitled to less because he's the quickest to leave the band, even though you kicked him?
Old 09-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #15
samuelzz10

I would assume a drummer joined a band when he had his own drums... but yeah, kicking people does make a problem we didn't think of. But then again, he didn't spend any money so it's no loss to him.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #16
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ What would happen if he did pay like you wanted? What if he actually paid the most?
Old 09-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
samuelzz10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
^^^ What would happen if he did pay like you wanted? What if he actually paid the most?

Let him stay in the band, because it shows commitment.

Also, unrelated question, what is a good USB mixer? and do mixers work with amp outputs? I know this is a noob question, but I don't know very much about recording. Preferably has 2 inputs and costs less than $150
Old 09-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

What if the band all decided to break up in one day, leaving nobody the "longest surviving member"?

See, if something is purchased as a band, it is an asset owned equally by all owners of that business called "your band." When one of the owners leaves, or is pushed out, they are entitled to their fair proportionate share of all the assets of that business, based on fair market value.

Therefore, when one person leaves, and it is a five piece band, the other four remaining owners buy out their share of the fifth person. The fifth person can take his/her share in either cash, material assets, or both.

If three of the five members quit, or something like that, it may make more sense to liquidate the assets in question and have the partners take their share of the money. Otherwise, two people are *each* going to have to come up with 30% of the value of the recording gear to buy the other three out. The three who leave won't likely take it in material assets (or buy out the other two), because they're probably going in different directions.

CT

Quote:

Rate This Thread: