Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

Basically starting over with screaming

im not sure what happened; maybe i did something that permanently damaged my voice, maybe just neglecting my screaming for a while to work on my singing voice, or both; but I CANT SCREAM PROPERLY ANYMORE

i used to have relatively good false-chord screams, especially my lows; seeing as how my voice is very deep, its fitting that my lows were my strong point

now, though my singing is significantly better, my screaming has turned to shit

ive done more than start over, because i originally picked up on screaming very quickly, proper technique and everything; i have actually somehow set myself farther back than when i started because my screams sound absolutely terrible, and they also resonate entirely in my throat, making them hurt terribly

the three main paths im thinking of taking are these:

1) try to relearn false-chord screams, while possibly sacrificing some of my sining abilities
2) attempt to try a new type of scream (fry or power fry, preference in that order)
3) let go of screaming and embrace my singing voice only

which one should i do? or if you think i should i do? or if you think i should do something different than one of the 3, let me know.

pleas, any advice would be great right now. this is a pretty big deal to me

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
Zerath

I'm not learnt in the art of screaming but to me it sounds like you have learnt to sing clean improperly. Try to use the same fundamentals for singing as you did for screaming and you should be able to get into it again ( if that is the case!)
Zerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
merriman44

Depends on what your goals are. A recording will help us know what is going wrong. Do you have access? You may indeed be singing incorrectly.

If you want to relearn false cord, I'm told that my tutorial is helpful:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...all/play1217766

Its the one titled, "so you want false cord scream eh?"

If you want to sing in a metal band, most folks would say completely clean singing is a nonstarter. There are obvious exceptions but most agree you at least need a rasp to go along with the aggressive bent of the music

Get me a recording of something and I can do more for you. All advice is arbitrary without it.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

i dont believe i sing improperly anymore. my main focus with singing has been to extend my range, so ive been training myself to relax and reach higher notes than i could before without straining

i mainly think it might be mainly neglect, seeing as how i havent properly practiced screaming in months

i wouldnt be so alarmed though if my screams had only digressed a little. but like i said, theyre worse than when i started

Edit: also, ill try to get a recording as soon as i can

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
merriman44

The muscles for false cord waste away quickly. Its like not walking for a few months. Your legs would be twigs. As such, your control has disappeared.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
jaybrink10101

My advice is re-learn false cord screaming but restrict it to lows and develop fry screaming for mids and highs. Refer to your last post for a (hopefully helpful) instruction guide on fry screaming. (sorry about the long wait, exams and stuff...)
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...84#post31901184
Also, focus on teh singing, because being a 'good' screamer and a 'great' singer (Devin Townsend) is better than being a 'great' screamer and a 'good' singer.
jaybrink10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybrink10101
My advice is re-learn false cord screaming but restrict it to lows and develop fry screaming for mids and highs. Refer to your last post for a (hopefully helpful) instruction guide on fry screaming. (sorry about the long wait, exams and stuff...)
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...84#post31901184
Also, focus on teh singing, because being a 'good' screamer and a 'great' singer (Devin Townsend) is better than being a 'great' screamer and a 'good' singer.

i just may do that, seeing as how when i was in my prime, my lows were my specialty

and yeah, i definitely will never give up on improving my clean vocals. ive always liked singing MUCH more than screaming. if i learn to scream again, im still going to stick with my 40/60 singing-to-screaming ratio, at a max

plus, its easier to get away with being a shitty screamer rather than a shitty singer lol

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Rate This Thread: