Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
jamesboone182

any experience with DG335replica.com?

so ive ventured into the land of replica guitars. i know I'm going to get a lot of criticism (trying to pass this off as a real gibson, not supporting actual vendors, playing a "counterfeit")
i know all of those things
1. im not going to pass this off as a real gibson, if someone asks, ill tell them that its fake
2. im left handed, therefore, my options are super limited, its either buy a crappy low end guitar (which i guess im doing anyways) or buy a really expensive guitar (not on a mcdonalds salary)
anyways, they have a tom delonge 333 on their site. i being a huge tom delonge fan, have always wanted a tom delonge signature. but unfortunately, they have never been made in left handed models. i found my way around this when i wanted his strat, by just making my own, but with his gibson its a little different. i contacted the site and they said they could do it for me. this is just my way of justifying why i would by from a chinese replica store, because to get the guitar that i desire, this is my only option.
now the real reason im posting this, is because i want to know if any of you have purchased anything from them, and know if they have decent products, by that i mean
1. do you actually receive a guitar? i noticed that they use paypal so i heard thats a good thing, seeing as i can snag my money back if something goes wrong. but regardless, its better to not spend the money at all if im not going to receive a guitar.
2. i get that its not going to be gibson quality, but will it be salvageable. i know im going to have to get the frets redone, im going to have to put in a different pickup, and probably completely new electronics.
basically, has anyone had any experience with this site? and how was it? thank you
jamesboone182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
hminh87
Justin here!

Paypal is no where as secure as they want you to think. They can only freeze and refund you only if the seller account still has any money left. If you get scammed then there's a high change there won't be any money left to be refunded. After that there is almost nothing you can do.

In most cases you do receive the guitar but be aware that buying counterfeit products is prohibited is many places. The custom might take hold of it.

• ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
dannyalcatraz

Its not a copy of the Tom Delonge 333, but Adirondack Guitars stocks a lot of lefties, and they have some Dillion 533s:

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lef...335_dse_533.htm

Dillion's are decent guitars, and you won't have to worry about the possibility of ripoff or forfeiture.

And, FWIW, they also had this Eastwood:

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lef...od/classic6.htm

Agile's Harm series might work, too, and I THINK they're available as lefties.

http://www.agileguitars.org/product-list/

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 09-11-2013 at 09:30 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hminh87
Paypal is no where as secure as they want you to think. They can only freeze and refund you only if the seller account still has any money left. If you get scammed then there's a high change there won't be any money left to be refunded. After that there is almost nothing you can do.

In most cases you do receive the guitar but be aware that buying counterfeit products is prohibited is many places. The custom might take hold of it.

No, that's not true. They'll put the sellers PayPal account into minus.

It happened to me the other day, a seller bitched about something and they put my account into minus and sent his money back, but not my bank account.

In any case, they will refund you the money if you're paying into a real PayPal account, the only time they won't is if you get a fake invoice and you pay, and it's not PayPal.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
jamesboone182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil

It happened to me the other day, a seller bitched about something and they put my account into minus and sent his money back, but not my bank account.

In any case, they will refund you the money if you're paying into a real PayPal account, the only time they won't is if you get a fake invoice and you pay, and it's not PayPal.

So would you take the chance on this site given that they use PayPal?
Old 09-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

The problem isn't Paypal. It's the quality of the instrument that you're getting, if you even get a guitar. I mean, they use a Hotmail email address.

So, no, I wouldn't take the chance.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
jamesboone182

Quote:
The problem isn't Paypal. It's the quality of the instrument that you're getting, if you even get a guitar. I mean, they use a Hotmail email address.

So, no, I wouldn't take the chance.

See, I understand that it'll probably be crappy, and I'll have to put more money into it than I paid for it just to make it sound decent at best, I'm just concerned as to whether or not I'll get a guitar
Old 09-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
dannyalcatraz

My understanding is that some of the "guitars" people get are actually just guitar-shaped assemblies of stuff that cannot be made into a truly functional guitar. Yes, it will probably be equipped with pickups & strings and so forth, but it might not be structurally sound. And if it isn't, no amount of money will make it playable.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

It's a big risk. Sometimes what you receive is basically just veneered plywood. Multiple pieces at that. I've seen some of these fakes that get shipped that don't even have a truss rod in the neck. I mean, it has a TRC and everything and is routed, but no truss rod. You could get them with twists in the neck or electronics that don't even work as well.

If you really consider the prices, you pay 250 for the guitar, 150 for shipping and other import duties before it gets to the door. Then, you'll have to replace all the hardware and get the thing set up if that's even possible. You could easily be paying 200 for the hardware and a setup and that's only if it doesn't need something more time consuming like fret leveling etc...

Basically, after you pay everything, your $250 replica turns into a $600 guitar (think about the guitars you can get for 600 bucks?) if you're lucky. Most likely you'll end up with 600 dollars of shit.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Old 09-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
jamesboone182

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz

Taking everything that you've said into consideration, you are correct, this is a bad idea, I have come up with a different idea, and tell me if this is possible.
I could buy a regular Tom delonge signature
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Ar...nge-ES-333.aspx
And have someone repaint it, and when he repaints it, he could cover up the hole for the volume knob, and put one on the other side, and boom, done
Would that be possible? And do you have any idea what that would cost me? I would assume it wouldn't be cheap, but at least I know what I'm getting
Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz

I've seen threads elsewhere by lefties who have had righty 335s, 333s and similarly symmetrical guitars converted to lefties, but I don't recall any discussion of cost.

I know you can get an idea ofwhat it costs to get it refinished, though.

http://www.martybellfinishing.com/index.html

And I'd imagine some of the stuff like new lefty nut & bridge installation would be similar to a repair of the same, so check with a local luthier.

So..with a TDL Epi running $500, I figure you're talking at least another $200 at least...

You might be better off just going with another maker's lefty semihollow.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 09-11-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I think that it would be a good idea to just buy a left handed guitar.

I don't know why you'd want to buy a guitar, repaint it, and modify it when you could just buy a left handed one for less than what you'll end up paying.

A portion of what you're paying is for the paint job, and then you're going to lose that just to make it left handed. Just buy a leftie.

http://www.reidys.com/pr/electric-g...CFfQetAodZRYAVg
Old 09-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
HippieMagic

There are quite a few lefties in the $500-800 range here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c595--Lef...lectric_Guitars

A few are pretty similar to what you were looking at.
HippieMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #15
dannyalcatraz

Also: http://www.southpawguitars.com/archtop.html

Check out the Eastwoods, Hagstroms, Hamer and Ibanez- almost all should be in your price range.

On top of that, they are Gibson/Epiphone dealers, but do not advertise their stock:

http://www.southpawguitars.com/epiphone.html

Another maker whose prices aren't on the website is Peerless:
http://www.southpawguitars.com/peerless_archtops.html

Those, however, may be outside your price range- I've only ever seen their higher-end ones for sale used on eBay, running between $800-1400.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 09-11-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #16
hminh87
Justin here!

Quote:

The seller get refunded? That means you as buyer double paid. This makes no sense.
My guess is that Paypal probably only draw a minus balance on a Paypal account that they deemed "trust-worthy" with good chance of getting money back from the account owner. They don't have the authority to actually demand any other bank to send them any money without the bank account owner allowance. If the seller setup the account with the intention to scam people then there is virtually zero change anyone will be able to get their money back. We can talk about pressing criminal charges but good luck with that.

---------------------------

On the guitar. If you're not 100% picky on the exact shape then by all mean take a look at some of the makers people recommended here. I can vouch for Dillion, Agile, Xavier, Hagström. They should have somewhat similar model to your favorite model.

• ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 : 09-12-2013 at 04:54 AM.
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:06 AM   #17
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Pardon me, I was the seller.

What they do take the money from your PayPal balance and if the money isn't there they put your PayPal in negative and hold the money until the issue is resolved.

They then pay the person and attempt to retrieve funds from you via whatever means necessary.

You can't remove your bank account from PayPal if you have fees pending, are in dispute or owe money. They can take your money and they will, as is stated in the terms and conditions.

They pay the buyer with their own money if you don't have the money and then will take you to court if you don't pay. Google it, there are sellers all over the place complaining about it but they always pay the buyer if they have a legitimate claim.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 09-12-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesboone182
1. do you actually receive a guitar? i noticed that they use paypal so i heard thats a good thing, seeing as i can snag my money back if something goes wrong. but regardless, its better to not spend the money at all if im not going to receive a guitar.
2. i get that its not going to be gibson quality, but will it be salvageable. i know im going to have to get the frets redone, im going to have to put in a different pickup, and probably completely new electronics.

I've not purchased anything from one of these sites personally, but a friend has (though not specifically from pieceofcraptomdelongelookalikesemihollowbody.com <G>). The result was a moderately decent and certainly usable guitar. Like you, he was after a particular "look" in the guitar, rather than being concerned with its quality as an instrument. In essence, he bought it as a kind of jewelry he could hang around his neck to impress those who more or less had the knowledge to know what it was supposed to be, but not enough knowledge to spot the telltales that told it was a fake.

The deal went well enough, the guitar arrived and was playable and he seems happy with the results.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: