Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
ricardo_sousa11

Help with "identifying" guitar

Hey UG's

Today I found out a guy selling an acoustic guitar, I took a look at it, and it seemed in "good" condition, despite a few problems.

So the guitar has like 15-20 years (its from the 90's), and its an acoustic, its meant to be for restoration, though all it really needs is some tuners. The guitar was originally a electro-acoustic guitar, but he took off the pickup a long time ago.

The thing is, the guitar is a Maison W709E guitar, Hummingbird model, but I cant find any info on the thing. I still havent fixed it (will do tomorrow) but I'd like to know if anyone knows anything about this or similliar guitars...it seems to be a mid-end guitar from the looks of it, but I cant really tell.

Heres a picture of the beauty:

The inlays on the neck, pickguard and bridge are real, the neck is straight, and everything is good.

Payed 20 for it.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Bikewer

Here's the company page:

http://www.maisonguitars.co.uk/

Says they are Korean made and supposedly "hand made" but I'm unable to find anything on that particular model....Which looks like a Gibson copy to me.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
stepchildusmc

yeah, i thought it looked like an Epi/Gibby hummingbird clone. probably not worth more than what you paid for it. throw some decent tuners and strings on it and enjoy !
Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
ricardo_sousa11

I've ordered some tuners, pickup, and pickguard (its dif. from the original) and check out how it sounds. Idk why, but I got a nice "feel" from it, even though its clearly a clone.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Captaincranky

For me, the only test of a good guitar is whether or not I enjoy playing it. If it meets that test, it's gold. OK, so looks don't hurt, but the Hummingbird is a nice looking guitar anyway.

If I were you, I'd do some additional research about the maker. During the years you mention there were some issues with "law suit guitars", even from the large Japanese manufacturers.

Even if your guitar doesn't fit that category, (& IDK if it does or doesn't), at least you might find a bit of a story to tell.
Captaincranky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
ricardo_sousa11

As soon as the parts arrive, I'll "review" it and see how it goes

Rate This Thread: