Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
chrose1201

New guitar opinions wanted

Hello all. I am starting a search for a new guitar and I would like your thoughts based on some parameters.
Right now my main guitar is a 98 American Pro Deluxe Strat maple neck (all around), as a back up I have an Ibanez RG350DX (straight rock). I really want to add a warm humbucker/rock sound back into the mix.

I was/am ready to drop $$ on a Les Paul Trad Pro II. The main reason above all else is that it has the 60’s slim taper neck. I like smaller necks. I love Ibanez wizard necks, and Ibanez guitars for that matter. But the LP had a perfect feel at the bottom of the neck and it could sing and scream something that single coils just can’t do the same.
PRS “Pattern thin” necks are awesome, but unfortunately so is the price…..

So in a nutshell does anyone have any opinions for a warm/scream humbucker sound (think Bonamassa variety of tones) with a small neck.
I have contacted Carvin to see what their necks are like as well. So before I drop a small bundle on the Trad Pro (bear in mind $1500 limit)

I appreciate any and all thoughts. Thanks!
chrose1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Buy a Traditional pro and get used to how the neck feels. The necks really aren't as thick as everyone moans that they are. They're just so used to Ibanez wizard necks that anything even a hair thicker feels massive. You get used to it quickly and most people grow to enjoy them.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 09-12-2013 at 10:42 AM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrose1201
So in a nutshell does anyone have any opinions for a warm/scream humbucker sound (think Bonamassa variety of tones) with a small neck.
I have contacted Carvin to see what their necks are like as well. So before I drop a small bundle on the Trad Pro (bear in mind $1500 limit)

I love Carvin necks, though they can vary by guitar type (carved top, Holdsworth, DC series, Bolt series, etc.). You can even specify a neck profile you like and they'll provide it (though there's an additional cost and you lose your ability to simply return it, no questions asked, if you don't like it. You still get to send it back if there's a factory defect, of course). I personally don't think it's necessary to go this route with them; their necks are outstanding.

Agile guitars have a "thin" neck option (their standard is rather '60's size) that will get you all the way down to 17mm depth at the first fret and 21mm at the 12th fret. Those are close to Wizard numbers, but with the shorter scale the taper will obviously be a bit more rapid. I have a wide/thin neck profile, with the aforementioned depth numbers on a 1 3/4" wide nut (that tapers to normal string spacing by the time you get to the bridge) and I absolutely love it. Those are stock choices, but they also have a semi-custom build that will allow you to select neck-through construction on an LP-type body, as well as additional choices of 25.5" and 27" scales, 24-fret necks, stainless steel frets, scarfed (carved) neck heel (think Gibson Axcess) and tummy cut, a chambered upper bout, Floyds, binding options, inlay options (no plastics available -- shell only), ebony, rosewood or maple fretboards, hardware colors, etc. Delivery time is around 3-4 months.

One other thing to toss into the pot, given your $1500 limit. I've got a Variax JTV 89F on order. Variax makes an LP-style singlecut guitar (the JTV59) that has a smooth neck heel, rosewood fretboard, a very good set of humbuckers and all the Variax modeling built in. I've gone with the 89F, however. It's got a longer 25.5" scale, a 16" radius rosewood fretboard, jumbo frets, 24 frets, a wider thinner maple neck on a solid mahogany body, a pair of slightly hotter humbuckers and a Floyd Rose with piezo saddles by Graphtech. With only those specs to work with, it's a helluva guitar. But it also has all of the Variax stuff, which means that it's got something like 28 guitar models (they've even modeled the 89F's own pickups for consistent sound when you downtune), including acoustics, 12-strings, teles, LPs, strats, 335's, etc. I've had a Variax 500 for several years and use it a lot, and the models are very good. On the 89F, however, they've upped the ante and have a firmware change (as of a week ago) that applies their "HD" technology to the models. I'll let you know about that when I have it in hand. In addition, the models use pitch replacement technology to allow you to set any string's tuning (without changing the actual tension on the string) an octave up or down. There are a potload of alternate tunings built into a rotating dial on the guitar, including downtunings all the way to Drop Bb. But you can also sub in your own personal tuning favorites. The change is instantaneous (if you have an HD500, for example, you can run the guitar through a special Variax cable and save guitar model, alternate tuning, amp,cab and FX choices to user banks and change everything with a single stomp). If you've just learned a song in the original key and your singer arrives and needs to sing it two stops down, you simply dial in the new key on your guitar, play it the way you learned it, and what comes out of the amp is two stops down. Retail price is $1499, but I got mine for 20% off. With sales tax in LA, I'm back to around $1300 out the door.
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
dannyalcatraz

Fernandes makes guitars with shredders in mind, so much like Ibanez, their necks tend to be slimmer. However, they also trend towards hotter pickups.

Here's a link to their page showing all the high-end MiJ versions of their guitars, so you can get an overviewof their product line:
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/pro.../jp-series.html

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
chrose1201

Toodeep I should clarify. I don't need to get used to how the 60's slim taper neck feels, I love it! I don't like the 50's neck. It's like a baseball bat... Essentially I am trying to find a neck similar in feel with humbuckers for a price closer to $1000 before I drop $1900 (before coupon) on a LP. My son has an ESP with a great feel but it sports EMG active pups which I do not want.
chrose1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
dannyalcatraz

Godin has a few models that might appeal to you including, but not limited to, the Freeway SA and the xTSA:

http://godinguitars.com/godinfreewaysap.htm

http://godinguitars.com/godinxtsap.htm

Old 09-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrose1201
Toodeep I should clarify. I don't need to get used to how the 60's slim taper neck feels, I love it! I don't like the 50's neck. It's like a baseball bat... Essentially I am trying to find a neck similar in feel with humbuckers for a price closer to $1000 before I drop $1900 (before coupon) on a LP. My son has an ESP with a great feel but it sports EMG active pups which I do not want.

You could try getting a used one.Two birds one stone.

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
dannyalcatraz

Reverend necks are kind of middle of the road- not too thick, not too thin. Their guitars tend to be tonally flexible, and they're quite affordable. Their visual aesthetics are not for everyone, though.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/

FWIW, Carvins are great guitars for the money. Incredibly well built, comfy, and beautiful. Hard to go wrong with one.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 09-12-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Rate This Thread: