Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
andrerist
schecterguy

Multiple guitar reccomendation

So my birthday is coming up and i'm looking for some reccomendations because i'm not quite sure what I want yet. Looking to be gentle on the price ( less than $500 and i'll be looking for used) i'd also like them to be something I can get from guitar center so its not a pain to find them.

Les paul style:

going to be used mostly for a punk/classic rock type of playing. my biggest concern here is that i dont want a neck thats too fat but definately nowhere near ibanez thin. Also, passive pickups

SS with floyd:

again, a punk/classic rock type of style. I want a floyd on this and PASSIVE pickups. (I already have a schecter with EMG's) as for a neck, i'm ok with whatever as long as its not a baseball bat

7 string:

If i find a good deal on one, i'd love to pick one up. I'd like to start getting into a keith merrow type of style with this and i'd prefer passives in this as well.

i'm just trying to get a feel for what to look for and what to stay away from. I'll most likely end up replacing pickups at some point down the line so i'm not overly concerned about something like that

EDIT: thoughts on agile guitars? I'd be willing to consider one of them if the quality is good at a reasonable price

Last edited by andrerist : 09-12-2013 at 12:31 PM.
andrerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Agile makes a lot of good 7-strings. I think they have a few that are ~$800 new, so you should be able to find some that are under $500 used.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
andrerist
schecterguy

http://www.rondomusic.com/inte727mncpbkflame.html

THis one caught my eye. thoughts? I'm just concerned about quality on it being so cheap and worried about how it will hold up to shipping
Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

I wouldn't go with that model. Problem is, because it has a Floyd Rose...well, cheaper FR hardware can be an issue. Do you want a floating bridge on your potential 7-string? If you're willing to consider a fixed bridge 7-string, I'd try to find a mid-tier Schetcher C-7.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar -- If you can get something like that used, I would recommend snapping it up.

Edit:
I just noticed those stock pickups are active, but that's the kind of quality I'd look for. Just using the C-7 as an example.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 09-12-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
andrerist
schecterguy

At that range though, are the agiles a good, solid guitar? provided i grabbed one with a fixed bridge?
Old 09-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrerist
At that range though, are the agiles a good, solid guitar? provided i grabbed one with a fixed bridge?

At the $1,000-1100 new range, yes.

Bandcamp

Old 09-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
dspellman

Quote:
http://www.rondomusic.com/inte727mncpbkflame.html

THis one caught my eye. thoughts? I'm just concerned about quality on it being so cheap and worried about how it will hold up to shipping

One, you're relatively close to Rondo (less time on the road?).
Two, Kurt is extremely good with the customer service, and if you have a glitch, simply return it.
Three, in regard to quality and price: Most buyers open the box and have a "I paid HOW much for this? Whoa!" reaction. Hopefully yours will be the same.

I've had two Agiles shipped to California (my third Agile was purchased used, but it was also originally shipped to California) and all three are in perfect condition.

My personal advice -- I always budget for a great initial setup by a really good tech (this is the part that trips most up) on any guitar that's new to me. Recently that's meant a fret superglue and trip to the PLEK machine, but the results are awesome.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
dspellman

Quote:

Question one: Yes. Outstanding.
Question two: I have three Agiles with floating bridges (all Floyds). All good. That's definitely not something to be concerned about.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
I wouldn't go with that model. Problem is, because it has a Floyd Rose...well, cheaper FR hardware can be an issue.

I've always been told that. I've never had an issue.

I have a '92 Samick (below) with what *has* to be a very cheap Floyd-alike. It gets played, and it gets maintained. I have a nice new gold Schaller OFR that's been sitting in its bubble pack on the shelf for the past five years, just waiting for the cheapo to go down. Not a bobble, not a glitch. (*knock on wood*)

Old 09-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
I've always been told that. I've never had an issue.

I have a '92 Samick (below) with what *has* to be a very cheap Floyd-alike. It gets played, and it gets maintained. I have a nice new gold Schaller OFR that's been sitting in its bubble pack on the shelf for the past five years, just waiting for the cheapo to go down. Not a bobble, not a glitch. (*knock on wood*)

Yes, but the point is that FR parts WILL wear out. Lesser quality parts will wear out faster. You don't want to have to replace the whole floating bridge because part of it bent over time.

Another consideration is the quality of the wood at that price. Will the wood be of good enough quality to get a good tone and have good sustain? Probably, but spending a few hundred more (new) would get wood with a better tone and better sustain. You can't just say, "Oh, it's mahogany" and call it good. The quality/density of the mahogany need to be considered.

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 09-12-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust

why not an sg.....or LP studio ...should be able to find some used for under 500......for the LP you´ll be wanting to go for the 60 style neck if you don´t want the girth.....and honestly if you want a player SG´is gunna be the way to go.....with the double cut you can get all the way up the neck without having to bend like slash ;-)
Old 09-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz

I know it's not at GC, but the Godin Richmond Empire is a good LP-style guitar in your price range and Sweetwater is a good company to order from:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...CFc9i7AodymwA8w

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EmpireRCr

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EmpireMR

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 09-12-2013 at 06:39 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: