Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
xecxylove

Question what is this masterpiece??

Hi everibody, I'm a late bloomer when it touches to guitar, I only learned i had this particular affinity for guitar about a year and a half ago(im 21) , as such i have been learning a bit of everithing rock, blues, funk and more specificly flamenco, but only a week ago i found out ESTAS TONNE and his music , and i must say I absolutly love it and it's in my deepest desires to learn this style of playing. I came here so I could ask you guys what type of music this is, and how can I find a proper teacher.

THanks in advance, best regards Andre

Link for estas tonne:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gphiFVVtUI
[forbidden link]

/watch?v=7gphiFVVtUI

Last edited by xecxylove : 09-13-2013 at 07:19 AM.
xecxylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
roadie114

I agree with you 100%. I too would love to learn how to play like that. I've been looking for any information on how to play that song, chords, etc.
roadie114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

He's playing something heavily centered around flamenco and spanish folk with a lot of different influences here and there.

look in classifieds, local music shop notice boards etc. find a classical teacher.
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
shaiag

Hi there,
Indeed this is quite an amazing playing!
you might find this article helpful:
http://guitarinternational.com/2013...sh-guitar-runs/

it's an article i published a week ago at the guitar international magazine, which includes examples of flamenco and spanish guitar scalar runs and passages. it's a bit similiar to the playing style in the video, though more guitar dou-oriented as it talks about lead playing only but using a combination of picking techniques and legato.

good luck!

Shai
https://www.facebook.com/agmonshai
https://soundcloud.com/shai_agmon
shaiag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
dylandempsey6

It's got a built-in incense holder
dylandempsey6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #6
cupidon192

This is the video I love and watch countless times. Sometime I play it again and again many times to get motivation learning. maybe he is a buddhist, I see an insence on the headstock
cupidon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
jcarlos007

Oh yea, I love this guy. I saw this video before i started playing and never thought to go back and see if I could play this. He's not playing anything really difficult though. I like how throws lead lines that sounds like they are from metal songs into his style, sounds awesome. The main thing to watch for is his right hand technique, he's playing classical style, thumb for bass 3 middle fingers for melody and then strums simple chords. If you want to improve on that get a classical teacher and tell him to give you the hardest songs he knows hahaha.

I can only play classical style for a little while before my hand start to hurt and tendons in my forearm tighten up. But if I play that way in public people notice it and gravitate towards it. Its wierd.
Anyways check out this video , you can see the lead guitarist's right hand and the speed that it gives him. Again his fretting hand is playing pretty simple stuff, speed comes from the alternating picking fingers, 3 picks are better than 1. At least for this style.

----------------------
On a side note, the video is hilarious, the guy filming resuses some of the clips cause he was filming other things at the same time. So when he got back to editing he had to cover some things up by using the same clips twice. it doesn't sync up sometimes. Just an observation since I do editing as well.
jcarlos007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
Mornox

ok since this is going into describing his technique, this is what i posted somewhere else:

Estas Tonne TECHNIQUE: Estas uses a lot of reverb and a little chorus or delay in some tracks, as well as an effect that greatly prolongs a low bass note sounding like a Didgeridoo. Most of his pieces are based on the e minor natural scale (note his standard lefthand position with index finger on high e 7th fret and improvising from there). for the right hand he is mainly using alternating finger picking styles (never pick twice in a row with the same finger, even if the thumb has to move over several strings for achieving that, like picking low bass and g string with thumb and b/high e string with the other fingers as shown below in the 2nd pattern) and he has finger nails. he is committed to "free stroking" meaning fingers do not rest on strings in between picking.

Main patterns repeating in the Song of the Golden Dragon (6/8, usually em or am chords and pinky on 2nd or 3rd fret of high e):

(pimac is thumb to pinky from "p" to "c", added x for pull off)

opening pattern for e minor (open string chord, a and d strings are not played):
--a-x-----m--m--- pull off is optional
--------i-----i------
--------------------
--------------------
--------------------
--p-----------------

this one especially outlines how he creates that fluidity as moving the thumb up gives him the possibility to play the high e string with continuos alternating fingers (as it is double-picked when the pattern repeats) and thus maximizing speed (both for em and am):
--a-x----------m-- pull off is optional
--------i-----i------
----------p---------
--------------------
--------------------
--p-----------------

fast-paced tremolo stuff:
--m-x----m-x------
--------i-------i----- in some parts the index picks high e as well for more of a tremolo feeling
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
--p-------p---------

for most melodies he just picks any of the notes of the natural e minor scale on high e string. frets to consider: 0, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12
with emphasis on 0/2/3 for main patterns and 5/10 for interludes and transitions, 8 is rarely used.

most of the parts he plays are quite achievable for any finger style guitar player who can use thumb, index, middle and ring finger of his right hand. the switch of techniques is just practice, but not overly complicated. only the part where melody and bass lines overlap, forming two separate melodies, is quite hard - but still i managed it within ~a week without classical training or teacher. just start and see how far one can dig into this, surprise yourself.

Last edited by Mornox : 09-18-2014 at 06:38 AM.
Mornox is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: