Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
justfoldedflags

I'm too awkward with strings...

So I've been playing Roto 13's for a while and they just don't do it for me anymore.
I needed a thinner high E and a thicker low E so I had a try of the Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky's and I love the sound of them, but I still need a thicker low E and I don't like the G not being wound, completely ruins the sound of my tapping riffs on that string.
It's absolutely perfect (apart from the unwound G) in Drop B, but I play in A# (Bb) in my band and it's still not cutting it.

Ideally I need something like .012 .014 .024(W) .034 .046 .058 but I'm pretty sure that isn't something that exists in prepackaged sets. So short of buying loads of individual strings off the internet, what is there I can do?

Fender Jaguar Blacktop HH
Korg Pitch Black - Boss NS-2 - Maxon OD808
Laney Ironheart - 60 Watt
justfoldedflags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
ibanezguitars44

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ibanezguitars44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezguitars44

Those are really inexpensive! 5 sets for $15, 10 sets for $29...that's better than a lot of prepackaged sets...

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
justfoldedflags

I saw that place, they only go upto .056 which is what I have now, neat idea though! (Also I'm UK based!)

Old 09-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Power slinky 7 string set and get rid of the .011? Or regular slinky 7 set and get rid of .010
Old 09-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
justfoldedflags

Power slinky could work, though I'd have to try the .011 instead of the 14. Worth looking into! Nowhere local stocks 7 string sets so I didn't even think of it, and the Ernie Ball UK site is horrible to nav round. Thanks!

Old 09-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
anguskilminster

http://www.ghsstrings.com/strings/electric/boomers-2
GHS do Zakk Wilde custom sets that run 11-14-18-36-52-70 and 10-13-17-36-52-60. Don't know if the 3rd string is plain or wound though.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
jaymz9350

I currently am using a set of Cleartone's on my guitar I use for drop B/A# and I like them. they are 12-16-20p-38-52-60. I replaced my not even slinky's with these (that 24p was just horible) and like these much better, the high side is light enough for me for minimal lead work (I'm pretty much a rhythm player only though) and had a nice heavy low end which gives me plenty of tension on the strings, also I find the 20p is not bad pretty much the largest plain I can use. I'm pretty sure D'Addario makes something with similar gauges as well. I haven't found anything pre-packaged that has a wound "G" for electric without using a 7 string set minus the high E.
jaymz9350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: