Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
vaggelas96

problem with pick

hi guys i play bass guitar 3 months now...before that i was totally a beginner.I have a problem when i try to play bass with my pick are there any exercises or songs to familiarize with my pick????
vaggelas96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Din of Win

What kind of "problems" are you having?

Generally; whatever feels comfortable is "correct". Just practicing will improve your overall comfort.

BUT... look around on youtube for tutorials by a bassist named Carol Kay. She is a super prolific studio bassist (and has been for the past 50ish years). She's also a pick player and has some very good tips for correct bass specific picking.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Zaqq

You'd better write the kind of problem you have.

Quote:
look around on youtube for tutorials by a bassist named Carol Kay

Honestly I've never liked her pick style and I play very different. So "whatever feels comfortable is "correct"" is really true.
Just try different techniques and choose the most comfortable in order not to stick to the incorrect/uncomfortable pick technique which limits your playing.
Zaqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Din of Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqq
You'd better write the kind of problem you have.

Honestly I've never liked her pick style and I play very different. So "whatever feels comfortable is "correct"" is really true.
Just try different techniques and choose the most comfortable in order not to stick to the incorrect/uncomfortable pick technique which limits your playing.

I'm right there with you.

A few years back i tried to adopt her style, and it just didn't work for me.

I started on bass, so beginning to play with a pick was awkward for me. I joined a punk band in high school and kind of fell into the Dee Dee Ramone "all down strokes, all the time". I don't play with a pick often these days, but when i do, i still use mostly down strokes. It's more like a down down-up down, down down-up down,... depending on the actual line... It's comfortable, and it works for me. So, it's "correct"
Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
vaggelas96

look i am the same...it is the first time a use a pick because i satrted to play bass!my problem is when i do the up strokes i got problem maybe the bass strings are too thick can i do something to be better on this????
Old 09-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
Din of Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaggelas96
look i am the same...it is the first time a use a pick because i satrted to play bass!my problem is when i do the up strokes i got problem maybe the bass strings are too thick can i do something to be better on this????

If your pick is getting "stuck" on the up-stroke; try a lighter gauge pick. That's a much more cost effective fix than buying lighter gauge strings!

I had a similar problem, "back in the day", and i ended up using 0.75mm picks until i had my technique down. As a personal preference, i use thicker gauge now, 2.0mm, as it has a tone closer to playing with fingers.

So yeah, get a few different pick gauges and test them out. Different pick brands might also coalesce with your style more.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
vaggelas96

do you know any easy song for to bass to play with pick???
Old 09-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
fudger
Im a ninja of love..

Just pick a easy song you want to know and play it with a pick. The bassline doesn't have to be played by a pick player to use a pick for it.
Bandcamp

I'd rather be Phishing...
fudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
damienbass

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudger
Just pick a easy song you want to know and play it with a pick. The bassline doesn't have to be played by a pick player to use a pick for it.

Nailed it!

Listen to Geezer Butler from Sabbath. He plays souly finger style and sounds like he uses a pick.

Way back when, before I forgot how to play with a pick on bass, I had a similar problem. You can try to play a piece with all upstrokes to help work on doing upstrokes. Im almost betting that you are playing at a deep angle on your down strokes then bringing it up perpendicular to your strings. This can be corrected by learning how to play down and up at a perpendicular angle to your strings. Also using the tip of the pick is a good start. A better start would be to burn the picks and playing with your fingers.
damienbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienbass
Nailed it!

Listen to Geezer Butler from Sabbath. He plays souly finger style and sounds like he uses a pick.

Way back when, before I forgot how to play with a pick on bass, I had a similar problem. You can try to play a piece with all upstrokes to help work on doing upstrokes. Im almost betting that you are playing at a deep angle on your down strokes then bringing it up perpendicular to your strings. This can be corrected by learning how to play down and up at a perpendicular angle to your strings. Also using the tip of the pick is a good start. A better start would be to burn the picks and playing with your fingers.

I'm pretty sure Geezer did sometimes use a pick. He didn't always play with fingers. (For example at Moscow Peace Festival he played with a pick. And I'm pretty sure Children of the Grave was recorded with a pick. At least it sounds a lot like pick.)

But yeah, if you want songs to play with a pick, play whatever song you like. There are no songs that can't be played with a pick.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 09-20-2013 at 07:32 PM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
damienbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
I'm pretty sure Geezer did sometimes use a pick. He didn't always play with fingers. (For example at Moscow Peace Festival he played with a pick. And I'm pretty sure Children of the Grave was recorded with a pick. At least it sounds a lot like pick.)

But yeah, if you want songs to play with a pick, play whatever song you like. There are no songs that can't be played with a pick.

Children of the Grave was recorded using a higher tone with finger style on a lower fretboard. Geezer is a master of making things sound like a pick but it was finger style. The end of Ironman is a perfect example when hes pounding the open.

Now back to the subject at hand. Most all recorded music can be played with a pick on bass. I say most all because there are some bass lines out there where the pick style would hinder a person instead of help them. The idea of quick transitions between styles, finger to slap/pop or tapping can show this. Guys like John Myung or Ryan Martinie would give a pick player a hard time if sitting down to learn the style.

Thinking about this, here are some great bands to work with when learning a pick style. Metallica, Motley Crue, Pantera, Alice in Chains, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Megadeth, Kiss, and Nirvana. Not sure what you are into but these are a good start. Any blues or country can help out with pick style.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
RyanStorm13

Why don't you practice the Spider Walk exercise (this really, really helps you learn left and right fingering at same time). Also, make sure your pick as at an angle and not horizontal, you don't want to hold onto it very hard, you want it to have some leeway to move, your not trying to pluck the string, but more slide across it.

Are you using a "Bass pick", and not a guitar pick? Back when I used a pick on the bass, I had a really really thick bass pick, but it was very very smooth, it looked like a tooth, but it was so slick I could slide up and down strings no problem!

I practice side by side when talking about teaching my left and right hand, I don't learn a song with a pick. It was irritating and hard to do proper left and right hand finger movements at same time, but it is built that way cause it is most effective, and will eventually payoff. You can't use a pick when trying to do a slap to pluck type stuff. So learning with pick "and" fingers is a must.

I started to replace a pick with my thumb. I watched how Paul McCartney played bass, and he had a teaching lesson on Youtube, and he just does the thumb almost like a pick so I did that for awhile and built me a nice callus, you can look it up, it teaches you a Beatles song. But it really helped with learning to use my hand instead of pick. Just searhc "Paul McCartney teaches bass".

Last edited by RyanStorm13 : 09-22-2013 at 06:43 PM.
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
Eppo Franken

Heavier picks will mostly play less easy, but sound often better. You should find a heavy pick with the right angle on the bevel. It works for a lot of players, also for bass.

I use 2.6mm and it runs over the strings like a hot knife through butter .. :-)
Eppo Franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
damienbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppo Franken
Heavier picks will mostly play less easy, but sound often better. You should find a heavy pick with the right angle on the bevel. It works for a lot of players, also for bass.

I use 2.6mm and it runs over the strings like a hot knife through butter .. :-)

I will second this. When I did play with a pick, I'd use Fender x-heavy or something in the 2.xxmm range
Old 09-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
tonello

I had the same problem when I first started on bass. I played guitar before then, so picking itself wasn't too bad. My solution was to use a 0.88 gauge Tortex Sharp. The point on the end of it really allowed me get those upstrokes when I was doing fast runs or such.
tonello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:11 AM   #16
vaggelas96

problem solved with a 3.00 mm bass guitar pick!!!!!thank you guys

Rate This Thread: