Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Cakey:D

Cort X6 licensed floyd

Has anyone used Corts Locking Trem III's? and im wondering if their a fit for OFR or a Schaller Lockmeister?
Cakey:D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

do you have the guitar and its floyd rose already? if you do, there should be routing templates on the floyd rose and schaller sites (you might as well check the gotoh ge1996T as well while you're at it, should also be a routing template on the gotoh site) and it should hopefully just be a matter of measuring your trem and its route and comparing it to the routing diagram...

if you don't then I haven't tried that particular trem, sorry

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #3

The guitar already has a floyd in it, i dont think i can find the templates for the cort :/
Old 09-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

you shouldn't need to, you already have it so you can just measure the important measurements- distance between the studs, diameter of the studs, size/depth of the sustain block, overall perimeter measurements, nut width etc.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #5

Ah, I see appreciated know any UK/EU sites where i can get my self a new OFR, Gotoh etc for the cheapest? :P
Old 09-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

gotoh prices have gone way up recently unfortunately. WD music is the place I know of which stocks it, but it's probably so dear now I dunno if there's much point.

From what I've seen (and bear in mind I haven't exactly been looking that hard; there may be cheaper options I've missed in other words), the schaller or schaller lockmeister now seem to be the cheapest "good" floyds in europe, for ~130 or so on thomann for the chrome version. I'd personally probably get the lockmeister, from what I hear it's just a rebranded OFR.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #7

Ah k, thanks alot for your help
Old 09-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #8

Do i have to change the mounting studs, when i change the trem? or is it a simple switch
Old 09-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

that's one of the dimensions you'd need to check as well- they should list the diameter of the studs on those routing templates, and then it's just a matter of measuring your own. IIRC the OFR stud mounts are around 10mm/1cm, but don't quote me on that. Cheaper trems often use smaller stud mounts, unfortunately.

If your stock studs are still in good condition you could probably get away with using them, but it'd probably void your warranty too (that's what WD music told me when I asked about the gotoh trem, and I'm guessing it applies to the OFR and schallers too).

Old 09-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #10

Well i checked the dimensions on the schaller website and compared it to mine, the baseplate is a tad bigger then the trem cavity, but the saddles and mounting studs are fine, but the width side of the trem is a bit big :/
Old 09-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #11

If i wanted the trem to fit, i have to route like 10-20 MM for it to fit q.q
Old 09-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

ah crap

Have you checked the dimensions of all the "good" trems? Just in case some are a different size.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #13

unsure about other trems, like the OFR. my studs are 8-9mm, what other good trem's are there?
Old 09-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #14

but then, 10-20mm isnt that much wood to be routed out, is it better to cut it out, or just go for a different trem
Old 09-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I'd probably go for a direct swap if possible, that way it's reversible (if you ever want to sell the guitar, say).

If that's not possible then it's a judgement call- it really depends on how confident you are at working with guitars. I'm useless at it, fwiw. Also depends on how willing you are to risk possibly killing your guitar (if you're not so good at it).

EDIT: other good trems: OFR (also low profile OFR, the OFR pro), schaller, schaller lockmeister and gotoh ge1996T.

Ibanez Edge, lo-pro edge and edge pro should also be good. I doubt that the edge pro would be a direct swap. Doubt the other two are either, IIRC they're slightly bigger than an OFR. But I could be wrong.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 09-15-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #16

Mmmmk, the schallers dont fit, idk about the low profile OFR and Pro's for the gotoh, the only trems that will fit, are the ones smaller then the schallers, know any trems that are? o.0
Old 09-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

not that i'm aware of offhand, unfortunately.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #18

FML, the best bet for me is routing it out then, since 2CM isnt really that much.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

it's your call good luck

Old 09-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #20

By the way, if the knife edges get dull, what are the solutions, would hardtailing it both sides of the trem work, or putting chapstick/vasaline in or sharping them again? since im kinda unsure about routing

Rate This Thread: