Password
Search:

Old 09-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #21
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I've never tried sharpening them, so I can't help you there unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #22
Cakey:D

Would hardtailing the floyd cancel out the dull knive edges?
Cakey:D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #23
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

if you totally block it, probably.

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #24

Mmmk, thanks alot for you help brah i'll proly just hardtail the floyd and keep the tuning stability, rather then routing a fit for a OFR etc
Old 09-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #25
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah on a cheaper guitar it's debatable if it's worth it, really. If a direct swap and you can get a good trem for cheapish, then maybe. Or if the guitar has sentimental value or something like that.

Quote:

Old 09-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #26
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I've never tried sharpening them, so I can't help you there unfortunately

That's routine maintenance for a Floyd -- you'll want to ask your tech for some advice on that, but it's a very simple process. I took one of mine into a tech a couple of times and he essentially said to me, "You're just wasting your money and my time; come here and let me show you how to do this." You can keep a cheap Floyd going for a couple of centuries if you lube the knife edges and occasionally sharpen them (only when they get dull -- you'll know). I have a very cheap one (Samick from '92) that's fluttering with the best of them to this day.

There's no point in replacing a Floyd on a guitar unless there's something wrong with it or you don't like the color<G>. Seriously, I've had a nice new Schaller waiting on the shelf for the above-mentioned Samick to have some major glitch for years now, and I'm beginning to think I should put it on some other guitar.

If you absolutely need to spend money (and some people do), consider one of the heavy brass sustain blocks from folks like Floyd Upgrades. It will do several things -- it'll change the balance of your guitar slightly (not in a bad way), it'll change the feel of the trem, and it'll change the sound of the guitar a bit. I'm not going to claim "huge improvement in toan," but you'll probably notice a difference in the high mids, for sure. And depending on the rest of the guitar's construction, you may very well notice an improvement in native guitar sustain. I suggest that you do NOT spend your money on Tungsten steel sustain blocks or on the titanium silliness. I've tried both and been *really* underwhelmed, even before someone showed me the price. Ooog.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #27
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ thanks

Quote:

Old 09-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #28

Hmm, thanks for that post aswell i'll keep that in mind appriciated :P
Old 09-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #29
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ thanks

You're welcome, and that wasn't aimed at you. Most of my guitar-playing life I've had high-end instruments.

Never really looked at the low-end much, though I've picked up a couple as bar guitars. I've always assumed I needed to spend a certainly level of money in order to get the kind of instrument I wanted. The big change was finding a few techs who are both really top-notch and non-judgmental. They didn't laugh at me or roll their eyes at the other guys in the shop for bringing in a low-end guitar. They were capable of making almost anything play beautifully and sound great. Better yet, they were willing to show me how to maintain my guitars in that condition.

I still appreciate and buy high-end stuff, and I like a mod that makes a notable difference as much as anyone. But today's lower end stuff can be amazingly good if selected with care, set up properly from the beginning, and maintained intelligently over time.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #30

Btw, is there anywhere i can buy a big sustain block for the FR from the UK? since i cant seem to find any, and most if not all are from the US
Old 09-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #31

and any tips on keeping the locking nut in shape? and how many times do you usually lube and file the knife edges?
Old 09-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #32
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakey:D
Btw, is there anywhere i can buy a big sustain block for the FR from the UK? since i cant seem to find any, and most if not all are from the US

No idea. I'm in LA, and I usually buy from FU-TONE.com.

But Floyd Rose now has its own range of big sustain blocks (no guarantee they'll fit on an aftermarket Floyd, of course); maybe they're available in the You Kay. Best of all, check with your local friendly guitar tech. Chances are he's got a source.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #33

mmmmmk, thanks for your help bro ;P
Old 09-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakey:D
and any tips on keeping the locking nut in shape? and how many times do you usually lube and file the knife edges?

I lube every three to six months. Every now and then I'll check the knife edges visually (same general schedule), but I usually don't have to do much -- lubing them extends their life considerably. Maybe every 18 months or so.

I think the lube I use (I'll have to check the little bottles) is White Lightning or some such.

Some upgrade videos from FU-Tone:

http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/inde...page=page&id=78
Old 09-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #35

Appreciated man, helped me so much and im reconsidering hard-tailing the floyd
Old 09-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #36
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
You're welcome, and that wasn't aimed at you. Most of my guitar-playing life I've had high-end instruments.

Never really looked at the low-end much, though I've picked up a couple as bar guitars. I've always assumed I needed to spend a certainly level of money in order to get the kind of instrument I wanted. The big change was finding a few techs who are both really top-notch and non-judgmental. They didn't laugh at me or roll their eyes at the other guys in the shop for bringing in a low-end guitar. They were capable of making almost anything play beautifully and sound great. Better yet, they were willing to show me how to maintain my guitars in that condition.

I still appreciate and buy high-end stuff, and I like a mod that makes a notable difference as much as anyone. But today's lower end stuff can be amazingly good if selected with care, set up properly from the beginning, and maintained intelligently over time.

I agree, if something is cheap and just as good, I want to know

I'm not sure about sources for the big blocks in the UK. I've heard of some people buying them on Ebay from the USA, so maybe that's the handiest way to get them?

Quote:

Old 09-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #37

but then, it comes to the point of waiting 1-2 weeks for it
Old 09-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #38
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah that's the problem

Quote:

Old 09-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #39

Also, what about really big bends on a floyd, at times it may knock the guitar out of tune, or double stops.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #40
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

a good floyd (which is setup halfway well at all) shouldn't go out of tune with big bends.

double-stops there's not much you can do if you want the trem to be floating.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: