Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
triprocksteady

Motivating Bandmates to Practice

i have these bandmates. drummer and a bassist. they tend to get riley and team up against practicing every time i try to initiate a band practice. they won't just pick up their instruments, shut up, and play. i am a guitar player and i sing. they just cannot learn that they need to practice and try new things in the band.

for instance; we have this song we are working on where there is a part with a tempo change. i suggest playing the part for twice as many bars so that we can change the tempo halfway through and it will provide more energy for the song. but it just gets instantly shot down because at least i think they are both lazy.

there is no way i can replace either of them but i need them to be as motivated to play instruments as i am.

does anyone have tips on motivating your bandmates? or you can vent instances wherein their bandmates are just being silly and lazy that you have to deal with.
triprocksteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

every time they're lazy, pluck a single hair from their testicles with force
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Honestly, I wouldn't even attempt to motivate them. Why can't you replace them? You sound like you want to be at least somewhat serious with the music, whereas they sound like they just want to be in a band for a laugh. It's a waste of energy trying to change people, so why not find new members?

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
triprocksteady

because that would be too easy i guess know what i mean? and the band is really tight sounding we just need far more practice. perhaps i should try a different approach, like being less pressuring.
triprocksteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

The hard stuff comes when you're fighting for a record deal, forcing yourself to stand out in an overcrowded music scene, if it's hard to get others to pick up their instruments, all that will be impossible when you get to it.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by triprocksteady
because that would be too easy i guess know what i mean? and the band is really tight sounding we just need far more practice. perhaps i should try a different approach, like being less pressuring.

I doubt your band is tight. Just quit. These clowns won't even play instruments at practice.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #7
Phil Starr

How often do you perform in public? Not many musicians will get very motivated unless there is some sort of stimulus. If you are performing and this doesn't motivate them then the advice to move on is probably good. Far too many musicians are their own worst enemiies, messing up through lack of practice, missing opportunites and just generally lacking in foresight. Mind you that is probably just the human condition.

look for opportunities to gig, that should help them concentrate.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by triprocksteady
i have these bandmates. drummer and a bassist. they tend to get riley and team up against practicing every time i try to initiate a band practice. they won't just pick up their instruments, shut up, and play. i am a guitar player and i sing. they just cannot learn that they need to practice and try new things in the band.

for instance; we have this song we are working on where there is a part with a tempo change. i suggest playing the part for twice as many bars so that we can change the tempo halfway through and it will provide more energy for the song. but it just gets instantly shot down because at least i think they are both lazy.

there is no way i can replace either of them but i need them to be as motivated to play instruments as i am.

does anyone have tips on motivating your bandmates? or you can vent instances wherein their bandmates are just being silly and lazy that you have to deal with.

if you are the band leader, tell them to step up or they are out. simple as that.

check out my youtube page for some songs.
Blind In 1 Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
ccannon1
Band Geek

If they're not passionate enough to practice, either quit or kick them out. You don't want to be playing with guys like that.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
krymson
UG Addict

Motivation is key for making progress. Apathy is very hard to get people to overcome especially if they've gotten comfortable with it. Starting over in a new band may seem daunting but you won't regret it when you end up finding like-minded individuals with the same work ethic as yourself.

Alternatively, have you tried talking to them? You don't have to be confrontational. Simply stating how you feel and asking band members what they think can be the solution to many problems.

Understand what motivates them to be unmotivated. Communication works wonders
krymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
JohnnyV
Hard as Rock

If you need to invent ways to motivate a band to practice, i can't imagine how hard you will have to work in the future to get them to a gig, make them help lug their gear around, get them into a studio to record a record, etc.

They're dead weight. Any musician who doesn't want to practice isn't worth it man.

QOATHAO on ReverbNation and Grooveshark!

Buy QOATHAO on CDBaby

UG BAND PROFILE! Become a fan!
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: