Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Velcro Man
A person

Identify this guitar + pickup

It's an Epiphone Flying V, though I'm not sure what model (they've made so many damn models...) but what I'm most concerned with are the pickups. I'm not sure if Epiphone ever used covered pickups in a V, but it probably is stock...but the real mystery is this purple humbucker. This guitar is at a local cash land for $220, it looks pretty dinged, but I'm not too worried about that. The only pickups I know of that are purple are DiMarzios, and those pole pieces are even more convincing, though, seems like Ibanez pickups have been purple as well. Is it worth the risk? Is it even worth $220?

Pics

Velcro Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
RJH11
Tone chaser

220 is a bit steep for a dinged up epi v that may have a good humbucker in it. Other companies like Dragonfire also have colored pickups.
RJH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Velcro Man
A person

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH11
220 is a bit steep for a dinged up epi v that may have a good humbucker in it. Other companies like Dragonfire also have colored pickups.

It's highly unlikely anything that uncommon would be in this guitar around here. I assume the guitar went for about $350-400 new, so if it DOES have a nice pickup, I could easily make a profit off of it. I'd make sure to get them to come down to $200 though.
Velcro Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
RobinTH
Epiphone ID Expert

Its an Epiphone 1967 Flying-V (version 1). This model came with open-coil pickups with black bobbins. The purple pickup is definitely a swap. The bridge pickup is either a swap or someone has put a cover on it, but most likely a swap.

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/F...V#1967_Flying-V

Also, I woudnt pay $220 for it. Maybe $150.

Last edited by RobinTH : 09-17-2013 at 12:19 PM.
RobinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

DiMarzio and Mighty Mite have offered their humbucker pickups with several different color bobbins from which to choose. It could be either of those, or the person who owned the guitar may have just painted or dyed the bobbin tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
SonicStrat57

Dragonfire/TNT Guitars are RIPOFF ARTISTS. Screwed me out of $60. PUPS are only marginally better than stock Chinese crap anyway. I'm pretty sure they don't make purple ones.
SonicStrat57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: