Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
kimi_page

How long do you practice certain technique daily?

How much time do you spend practicing certain technique daily? Sometimes I think that even 3 hours sweeping daily isn't enough, because I find this technique hard to improve at. And to avoid diminishing returns, of course.
kimi_page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Sickz
Jazz Musician

20 minutes max.

You don't need to practice something for hours on end to improve. You need to practice something that is doable but challenging, and you need to practice it efficiently.

If you practice something well for 20 minutes daily you will see results, and you will be able to work on other stuff aswell.

That's what i think, and i know some people will disagree with me. But spending hours on end to practice ONE certain technique seems stupid to me. I practice technique as a whole for max 1 hour, and even then i do it musically. The rest of my practice time is learning to play music, not playing my instrument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."

Last edited by Sickz : 09-17-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
odensson95
Son Of Odin

Probably like 30 mins. You don't need to just practice a certain technique for 3 hours a day. You can practice it for 20-30 mins. every day instead. It'll be more effective.
odensson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimi_page
How much time do you spend practicing certain technique daily? Sometimes I think that even 3 hours sweeping daily isn't enough, because I find this technique hard to improve at. And to avoid diminishing returns, of course.

Think quality mate not quantity.Its more important to have 1.all the aspects of the technique down cold and 2.producing perfect repetitions with 3.relaxed fingers each time.If any of those three aspects is missing you are basically practicing at getting good at mistakes.Sweeping is one of these techniques that if you pass the initial stage you go from zero to hero pretty fast but the initial stage is where most people make stupid choices and mistakes that stay with them till the end.

Check out my vid below make sure you can execute exactly the way i describe it there and dont worry about the practice time.Practise as long as it doesnt start to annoy you and get bored.Only then you can be counterproductive .

Old 09-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

there isn't enough that a beginner can do to warrant practicing one technique for hours. you're just gonna end up making a tiny bit of progress, then get tired and wonder why you're not getting better, then try to compensate for your fatigue, etc. and it just won't help.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
And to avoid diminishing returns, of course.

... That's not how diminishing returns work. At all. Diminishing returns is the idea that the longer or better you do something the harder you have to work to see any improvement. It doesn't really apply across one practice session and to be honest if you practice the same thing for too long you're only increasing your chances of burning out.

To actually answer your question... until I get bored or find something else to do.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Velcro Man
A person

Why would you spend 3 hours a day on just one technique ANYWAY!? I'll never understand why all guitarists seem to just look at sweeping as some kind of achievement. Honestly, the technique in and of itself sounds horrid to me, compared to other arpeggios, and that's just it, it's just ONE way to play an arpeggio.

Velcro Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

on average? probably zero

Rarely more than a minute or two. Normally I play rather than practise... when i do practise techniques I get bored pretty quickly.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
Charlie4

Cool

I have been spending the past two months working mainly on one technique and I have seen great results. Slowly I start to change it. What works for me is that practice must always be challenging and a creative process. Taking any technique, I break it down into its smallest parts and look for any weak link to practice.
Ex. Sweet Child O' Mine' intro was an exercise Slash used and it also sounded good.

No one person responds to any stimulus the same way, you have to find what works for you though. 3 Hours of the same thing might not work for you, but it does for me.
Troy Stetina - Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar
This is a great book at looking to practice various parts/techniques by using some creativity.

I hate those cliched arpeggio sweeps - the irony is there are at least 15 different 7th chords, with alterations, each with at least two inversions so that makes 45 different ways to play arpeggios which won't sound stale.

Sweeping = Arpeggio = Chord. It all starts with the the chord.

Last edited by Charlie4 : 09-17-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Charlie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
cdgraves

15 minutes or so. I do a warmup routine most days that includes 15min of basic technique on each hand, then 15min each of scales and arpeggios. It's a good balance between maintenance and progress.

If a technique is completely new to you, spend a bit more time making sure you can do it competently at low speed, then just spend a little bit of time each day working on it. You're not going to perfect a technique within a single practice session, but if you practice it consistently, you will improve day-to-day.

The most important thing is that you actually apply techniques to the music you play. You can be great at your warm ups, but it only matters if you can play the same things in a song. As long as you're still learning the myriad guitar techniques, find music that utilizes them, or at least employ them in improvisation to make them useful.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgraves
The most important thing is that you actually apply techniques to the music you play. You can be great at your warm ups, but it only matters if you can play the same things in a song. As long as you're still learning the myriad guitar techniques, find music that utilizes them, or at least employ them in improvisation to make them useful.

That's super-important

Old 09-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
Slashiepie
Banged

Guys saying that more than 15 Minutes reaps no rewards are just stupid.
Practise whatever you want as long and as much as you can and want. Just make it constant practice, be sure to get your technique right and try to be smart within the confines of common sense with whatever you do.

It is pretty obvious that the Kid practicing X technique 8 hours a day for 1 month will get way further than the Kid practicing X technique 15 minutes a day for the same period.

Simple rule, the more time you put into learning something, the more you will know (intelligently learning of course). Simple rule of the universe, really.

Now where does the optimal line lie between effort and results ? who knows ? And it is probably a very individual question. Make it intentional, focused, concentrated practice, and see how long you last before a pause. Keep learning how to learn. 15 Minutes are better than nothing, do not get me wrong, but limiting yourself without reason.. makes no sense. Do not spread your energy, attention and time all over the place, you will master nothing. It is better to work on one thing at a time and progress in small steps.

Which brings me to an important question: how much time do you have available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.

Last edited by Slashiepie : 09-18-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
odensson95
Son Of Odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie4
No one person responds to any stimulus the same way, you have to find what works for you though. 3 Hours of the same thing might not work for you, but it does for me.
Troy Stetina - Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar
This is a great book at looking to practice various parts/techniques by using some creativity.
[/U]

I'd also recommend that book. Worked fine for me.
odensson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
kimi_page

omg! yeah right, so I'll just practice sweeping 15-20 minutes a day, and you know when will I be able to play god-like Loomis's sweeps (eg. This godless endeavor) ? Never! I mean, don't get me wrong, but it's simple logic: the more I do something focused and as clean as possible, the faster I'll get better at it. I just asked a question, and some of you guys say that I don't need to practice more than 20 minutes. It's absurd
kimi_page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Quote:
omg! yeah right, so I'll just practice sweeping 15-20 minutes a day, and you know when will I be able to play god-like Loomis's sweeps (eg. This godless endeavor) ? Never! I mean, don't get me wrong, but it's simple logic: the more I do something focused and as clean as possible, the faster I'll get better at it. I just asked a question, and some of you guys say that I don't need to practice more than 20 minutes. It's absurd

Well, that's your choice. We just answered what was right for us. I never practice any technique more than 20 minutes, and i am still improving consistently. To me it seems absurd to sit down and practice technique, or as you said in your original post, ONE technique, for several hours. You don't need to do that to improve and play advanced stuff, you just have to make sure that when you practice you practice perfectly and do it regularly.

I'd much rather practice music than practice technique.

That being said though, i hope you find a way to improve that seems good in your view. I sincerely wish you good luck.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #16
Shor

Quote:

What is absurd is that you post here asking people for advise when you've clearly made up your mind in what is the "correct" way to practice.
It looks like you just want people to say that you are correct in spending 3 hours a day on a single thing, and when someone says something you disagree with you call that absurd..

I would agree with spending no more than 15-30 min per day on a single thing when you're learning it, as it'll take a long time to get new movements/techniques engrained in your muscle memory.
I've heard this from professionals (in music and teaching), as well as having experienced it to work myself.
It's all about making sure that you are practicing correctly and you'll get there in time... there are no shortcuts.
If you practice sloppy, you'll be great at playing sloppy..no matter how many hours you practice..

This doesn't mean that you can't practice other things in a single day.. there are tons of things to practice...and tons of things that incorporate several techniques, making your practice sessions more efficient.

Sorry if this comes out sounding incoherent, as it's late...and I just wanted to get some kind of reply down..
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #17
Dreamdancer11

Quote:

Practice as much as you can mate.If you are dedicated enough time is not an issue.Just make sure you are making that time count..

That said though there comes a time when the brain is fried doing the same thing.After that point you have to stop, practice something else or quit practicing altogether.So use common sense and listen to your bodys signals.Its obvious that 1 or 2 minutes thats been said is ridiculous even for a decent warmup and 3 hours or more for a single technique is reaaaaaaally hard to stay focused and not get fried.

If i were you i would record myself on video doing the technique iam working on and then meticulously work out every little detail and remove every little bit of sloppiness tension and wasted motion from wherever its hiding.So its not 1000000 reps and in the 1000001 i sound like Loomis.Its not that simple.Make efficient every little motion you do(and if you dont know how ask someone who does) and then comes the practise time part to solidify that.Believe me though the part that makes or breaks you is the first one....

Good luck with your practice .

Last edited by Dreamdancer11 : 09-18-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Dreamdancer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #18
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by odensson95
I'd also recommend that book. Worked fine for me.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickz
Well, that's your choice. We just answered what was right for us.

+1

You didn't ask us how much we thought you should practise, you asked us how much we practised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shor
What is absurd is that you post here asking people for advise when you've clearly made up your mind in what is the "correct" way to practice.
It looks like you just want people to say that you are correct in spending 3 hours a day on a single thing, and when someone says something you disagree with you call that absurd..

+1

There probably is some optimum amount to practise (and I bet it's longer than I practise ), but at the same time you can practise too much. If you're tired etc. you may well be doing more harm than good, and you're also liable to get pissed off at it. Little and often (and staying positive) is better than marathon practise sessions which put you off practising for a week...

Old 09-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #19
Slashiepie
Banged

By the way you can practice as much as you want and still reap awesome rewards.

The key is having good health, a well trained mind, as well as really good self awareness of your body so that you can pay rigurous attention to when you need a break as well as when you are hurting yourself.

How long the pauses should be is a though question, it is individual but know that your brain keeps making connections while you are doing other things. A lot of progress also takes place while you sleep.

In regards to difficulty, the best results come from tasks that are just a little above your current skill. In other words, not too easy, not too hard, just a little challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.

Last edited by Slashiepie : 09-18-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #20
cdgraves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashiepie
Guys saying that more than 15 Minutes reaps no rewards are just stupid.
Practise whatever you want as long and as much as you can and want.

When you're just learning something, yeah, put as much time in as you want. As long as you're getting it right, that is.

After that, though, you don't really gain much doing a single basic technique for long stretches. If your hammer ons are good, they're good, you just need to maintain it with repertoire and a little bit of focused practice/warmup.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: