Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
indianriver

Frustration setting in here...

Trying to learn my first real song and they say Country Roads by Denver is a good one to start with. Got the chords down, got the strum down, as soon as I open my mouth to sing my strum goes to shit. It is like since the words do not follow every stroke of the hand I have a problem keeping both going at the same time. Tell me this is a common problem for beginners that will meld together with enough practice. Better yet, tell me if there is a way I can fix this. After 1 1/2 hours of strum butchering the Tak-G is back in the case till I cool down.
indianriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Captaincranky

You could take a break by practicing rubbing your stomach while patting your head.

Or, you could just accept the fact that you really don't, "have it down" yet, and persevere.

Can you sing the song on key by itself? You could just strum the first chord of each measure while you sing. Or try strumming in a simple 4/4 strum on every beat, and worry about the exact strumming pattern later.

Playing guitar and singing at the same time, isn't anywhere near as easy as people who've done it all their lives manage to make it look.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
stepchildusmc

I'm still working on that one myself. after a few months, i'm finally getting it down.
i started with what cranky suggested, strum it chord by chord one strum for each chord. i'm a work in progress with it but getting better( if only my singing voice would come along with it, i'm still better at doing Chris Cornell kinda stuff but i'll get more range with time)
Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
indianriver

Sigh........thank you......I will continue to butcher until I carve the perfect T-bone.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
Gingerlocks
Dreadhead

I remember this, when I first started out.
Don't rush it. Practice, practice, practice!
Gingerlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
indianriver

Well, we carved a flank steak tonight, the words are starting to line up,you were right, more practice, the wife will hear John Denver in her sleep.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
stepchildusmc

if she starts complaining, just remind her that your not a wierd Al or Marilyn Manson fan.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
Velcro Man
A person

Singing while playing at the same time is a lot harder than people think, it takes a lot of practice just to do the easiest of things. Just practice.
Velcro Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: