Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
xnotorious

Broken Emg Pickups?

Yesterday when i was playing my ESP LTD-MH1000 Deluxe, i took a small break and when i came back to play it, the sound had almost completely diminished. I had to crank up the volume all the way up on my headphones just to hear a bit of sound when on a clean setting (I am using Guitar Rig 5 with a Behringer UCG102 guitar cable). I figured that the battery just died since I had been playing 12 hours a day nonstop for 2 months. However, when i changed the batteries, it was still quiet sounding (both pickups). I took out the EMGs and the connector under the pickup wasn't loose. So what suggestions do you guys have that could be causing this?

BTW- Both pickups are like this
xnotorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
MaaZeus

I bet its your guitar cable? Try wiggling it near the plug. If it scratches, get a new better cable.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
xnotorious

Guitar cables can expire?
Old 09-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
yks9991

Yes, it's a cable- The amount of tiny wires that can break is astounding. If it's got metal housings around the connectors and you're decent with soldering, try opening it up and re-soldering the wires- If not, buy a new cable/use a different one that you own. If you're getting new cables, buy some nice thick ones with metal connectors so they're more durable and reparable in the future.

If you decide to buy a cheap cable you don't know what it's like to have a cable fail during a gig... it's bad.

Good luck!

~YKS
yks9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
JNBloomy

I had a similar problem on my les paul, was a simple fix really... just open it up to where the wires in your guitar connect and make the wires touch different parts that it should connect to, find the right one where it should be connected and simple solder it back on. Problem fixed!

https://soundcloud.com/james-bloomfield-1/prog-backing
Need a vocalist to record some vocals for this! ^ ^ ^
JNBloomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
Shor

Before you do anything...try another battery first.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shor
Before you do anything...try another battery first.

Signs hint at broken cable, I've had the same symptoms twice. Easily tested with other guitar. Though it could be wiring inside the guitar too.

It may not be even broken cable, just shorted. Any cable manufacturer worth their job should always skin the cable near the point where its soldered, (or atleast one of them or protect one otherwise) that way they will never make contact with each other no matter how much they move.
And yet you find that in a lot of cables, if you open the plug, two 1.5 inches long completely bare copper wires without any protection, anything to keep them separate from each other. Only the way the plug is attached keeps them in place but it just takes a good twist and they touch each other where the cable shielding starts.

Why would they do that? Heaven forbid if my speaker cable is skinned and soldered in same way and it happens to short...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 09-18-2013 at 09:56 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
xnotorious

Bought a new cable, plugged it into the interface and the same thing happened. I also tried it on an amp, same result. Also, in case anyone hasn't read, I already tried a different battery, the pack came with 2, both didn't work.

So far i'm sure that the problem isn't the pickups, the cable, the battery, and the interface/amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNBloomy
I had a similar problem on my les paul, was a simple fix really... just open it up to where the wires in your guitar connect and make the wires touch different parts that it should connect to, find the right one where it should be connected and simple solder it back on. Problem fixed!

After digging in my guitar for a loose wire, I found that a wire that connects to the part where the cable connects to got loose! I'll solder it back on today. Thanks for the help. Btw, what is that part called anyway? The part that the guitar cable plugs into.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
Danitarium
Giggle Box

It's called an input jack.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

KH-202 Rebuild
Swirled Alvarez Strat

ESP M-I NTB
LTD KH-202
Alvarez H/H Strat
Taylor 410ce