Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
GuitarMusic360
UG Newbie

How to pick

What is the proper way to pick on an electric guitar. Not strumming. I have had a bit of trouble with picking. For example playing this
[forbidden link]
Riff A
You need to pick certain strings. Where does your palm rest when you pick? How do you incorporate palm muting?
GuitarMusic360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
LordHill

Well, when I pick for electric, I usually tend resting my palm on the bridge, or resting my pinkie or another finger on the pick guard. It's just natural.
LordHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
GuitarMusic360
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHill
Well, when I pick for electric, I usually tend resting my palm on the bridge, or resting my pinkie or another finger on the pick guard. It's just natural.

Where on the bridge? Near the front or near the edge of the bridge? I try to rest my palm near the front of the bridge but the problem is on my electric guitar, on the bridge, there are screws that stick out so it bothers my hand. If I rest my palm near the end of my bridge, I can't really pick the middle of my guitar, I need to pick more near the bridge.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Facecut
Vorsitzender

You should probably browse the stickies in the guitar technique sub forum.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
GuitarMusic360
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facecut
You should probably browse the stickies in the guitar technique sub forum.

I looked there. I didn't find anything about picking.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust

....I do like 360 and rest my ring and Little finger on the pick-guard...Ive seen Another good video that recommends you not doing that if you want to get real speed......but I cant stop...and thank god that Classic rock dont go that fast ;-)

....did manage to correct the way Ive held the pick for the first 10 years which was really setting me back.

p.s....not that I really like the style of Music that Paul plays...but watching him makes me want too never.....ever play guitar again...;-)
Old 09-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
GuitarMusic360
UG Newbie

Where do I rest my hand while picking though? What if I'm playing something that doesn't need alternate picking? Where would I rest my hand?

Last edited by GuitarMusic360 : 09-18-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Velcro Man
A person

There is no right way, do whatever feels natural. The most infamous example would have to be Marty Friedman. The placement of your palm for muting is entirely dependent on how much you need to mute. Start on the very edge and slowly move your hand til you find a spot you like.
Velcro Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMusic360
Where do I rest my hand while picking though? What if I'm playing something that doesn't need alternate picking? Where would I rest my hand?

It's whatever feels most natural to you. When I play, my picking hand is in a loose fist gripping my pick between my thumb and index finger. As for my wrist, I gently rest it against the bridge of my guitar and I move it along it (the bridge) as I change between strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackst4r
p.s....not that I really like the style of Music that Paul plays...but watching him makes me want too never.....ever play guitar again...;-)

Well, I do like most of Paul's stuff that he does with Mr. Big and as a solo musician. Every time I see/hear him play or watch one of his lesson videos, I inspires me to play more and to get better.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust

Well, I do like most of Paul's stuff that he does with Mr. Big and as a solo musician. Every time I see/hear him play or watch one of his lesson videos, I inspires me to play more and to get better.[/QUOTE]

....felt that way too the first time I saw him in "Total Guitar".......but then i realized Im a volvo...and hes a lambourghini and no matter how hard I try....Im never catching up ;-)
Old 09-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
GuitarMusic360
UG Newbie

I used to pick with my arm and hand curved so my hand would be near the high E string. It felt right at first and it still does when I play some things but now I'm trying to break that habit because now I'm starting to play stuff that involves palm muting and alternate picking and I can't do that with the way I was picking before.

Rate This Thread: