Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Dregen
andy, you're a star

(for dr. berry), solo piano [gpx, mp3] c4c

a little song i whipped up last night... i tried to achieve more hand separation with this one than the last. as far as the music, this was mostly just an experimentation with accidentals, modes, substitutions, what have you... i would say it's kind of classical-ish with some jazzy sounds, but i'm not very experienced with either genre so others may glean a different feel/influence from it.

any comments are appreciated. if you need c4c just post a link to your song with the crit. and if you don't have gpx, an upload of the converted mp3 is on my profile. the direct link is here: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...sic/play1219525

i would've uploaded in gp5 this time, but when i export the file from gpx it gives an error in gp5. sorry about that...
Attached Files
File Type: gpx (for dr. berry).gpx (20.9 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Dregen : 09-19-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Dregen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Sikkii
Decider

what is this a virus?!
Sikkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikkii
what is this a virus?!

...no. Its a legit piece.

I heard it on the profile, pretty good, not sure what you could do with it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Craziork

can you get us a GP5 version ?
Craziork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Dregen
andy, you're a star

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
...no. Its a legit piece.

I heard it on the profile, pretty good, not sure what you could do with it though.

thanks, appreciate the feedback. as for the bolded, i'm not quite sure what you mean... extending it, adding instrumentation, being able to actually play it? or like fixing notes/transitions or something like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziork
can you get us a GP5 version ?

you can give it a try, it doesn't work on my computer though. not sure if my gp5 or gp6 got bugged or something. if it does work for you, i'll throw it on the OP.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 (for dr. berry).gp5 (16.1 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Dregen : 09-19-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

No I mean like, if you were to record it, would you put it on any releasable, high quality recording like an EP or just stow it away and never use it again.

Quote:
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
Craziork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregen
you can give it a try, it doesn't work on my computer though. not sure if my gp5 or gp6 got bugged or something. if it does work for you, i'll throw it on the OP.

the same here, don't work for me.

I've listened to your composition via your profile. I like the relaxing vibe (don't know if It's only for me but it was very soothing). It's all good and nice but it would be better if you used more low ends to make it sound deeper - but it's just my opinion.

And who's Dr. Berry? I'd like to hear the story behind that song.

Last edited by Craziork : 09-19-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Craziork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
Dregen
andy, you're a star

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
No I mean like, if you were to record it, would you put it on any releasable, high quality recording like an EP or just stow it away and never use it again.

i'm not sure. given that most of the stuff i write is a totally different style, maybe it would be difficult to use conceptually, but maybe not. depends on how i do it. i'd certainly like to be able to play and record this someday, and if i could i'd definitely try to use it.

Last edited by Dregen : 09-19-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
Dregen
andy, you're a star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziork
the same here, don't work for me.

I've listened to your composition via your profile. I like the relaxing vibe (don't know if It's only for me but it was very soothing). It's all good and nice but it would be better if you used more low ends to make it sound deeper - but it's just my opinion.

i agree with you on the low end, i'm going to spend some time later trying to figure out hand placement and where extra notes won't make things impossible. the whole song in general is pretty bare-bones at the moment.

glad you found that relaxing vibe, it was my intention but i wasn't sure if it got across. especially with the very beginning where some of the phrases end/resolve on an augmented chord. sounded really strange to me, but added a certain tension to it without being too jarring.

Quote:
And who's Dr. Berry? I'd like to hear the story behind that song.

well, uh, let's just say i have a bizarre crush on someone, and my english/composition professor is a very intelligent, interesting, and attractive (pretty remarkable even without age being considered) woman.

not like anything's gonna come of it, but it's helping me find inspiration again. she also got me reading more prose and novels. very fun person to talk about literature and writing, among other things, with. i didn't know what to title the music after i 'finished' it, so i was just like, well, give credit where credit is due.

Last edited by Dregen : 09-20-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Ometh
nobody

I listened to this yesterday and I really liked it. It was tasteful, the dynamics were great and the overall pace is good. I don't particularly remember some of it but that's an excuse to listen to it again I guess lol.
I also listened to the piano song I did a few months ago and I think I wanna make some more. Woul you like to collab?
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
Dregen
andy, you're a star

Quote:
I listened to this yesterday and I really liked it. It was tasteful, the dynamics were great and the overall pace is good. I don't particularly remember some of it but that's an excuse to listen to it again I guess lol.
I also listened to the piano song I did a few months ago and I think I wanna make some more. Woul you like to collab?

don't worry about it. just glad to get some feedback, no matter how in-depth (or otherwise) it is. really all i want to know is if it's at a point where i can begin learning how to play it... that's mainly why i made the key in C, because i'm not good at reading music and i always forget the key signatures. the parts with all the accidentals are going to be a hard time though, if i even get that far.

and working on a collab sounds great. i don't know how well it will go considering i'm kind of a control freak when it comes to working in groups in general, but i've listened to your tunes in here and they've all been pretty good, so i'm figuring that i'll actually end up examining how you write (like i have with the majority of your stuff) rather than letting my other side get to me.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
Ometh
nobody

I kind of forgot about this whole collab dealio but I think it'd be a good way to get me out of this block, I can't seem to be able to write anything lately. My skype is unchallengecake if you're still up for iit
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: