User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
mockinbyrd
i cum blood

How Do I Make This Sound?

starting at 3:46

The guitarist is playing touchstyle with his right hand only. It sounds like a sustained pinch harmonic to me, but I don't know how you'd do that without picking or having your hand over the pickups.

I've tried to get various pitch shifters to sound like this but I haven't had any luck yet. I'm also using the same setup as this guy- Drop A# with 11-70 gauge strings (to shift the range of the guitar in favor of this touchstyle technique, which is predominantly used above the 12th fret), and a Rocktron Prophecy II. So far I've been able to recreate all of his tones but this one.

Thanks in advance. This has been driving me crazy!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
J_W

Sustainer?
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
mockinbyrd
i cum blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
Sustainer?

To my knowledge, no sustainer. His guitars have SD or Dimarzio Drop Sonic bridge pickups and Bill Lawrence L500-L neck pickups. And no ebow either.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
dudester410
UG Member

sounds like a wah pedal and maybe something extra in the wah? almost like an expression pedal with a harmonizing/octave up feel? almost sounds like hes got a pinch harmonic going on then wahs it all over the place with the expression pedal. Sounds pretty neat though, wish i could be more help, lemme know if helps shape anything
dudester410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
mockinbyrd
i cum blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudester410
sounds like a wah pedal and maybe something extra in the wah? almost like an expression pedal with a harmonizing/octave up feel? almost sounds like hes got a pinch harmonic going on then wahs it all over the place with the expression pedal. Sounds pretty neat though, wish i could be more help, lemme know if helps shape anything

I agree about the pinch harmonic, I just don't know how he'd do one when his left hand is muting all the strings and his right hand is playing touchstyle like his guitar was a piano.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
kingbabyduck
Cracking Eggs of Wisdom

ebow and a whammy set one octave up
kingbabyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
mockinbyrd
i cum blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbabyduck
ebow and a whammy set one octave up

No ebow, and I've tried the whammy thing and it doesn't work. At lot of the time Mavrin has this tone, he goes in and out of it per note, too fast for any effect other than one controlled by an expression pedal, which is already (presumably) controlling his wah pedal. I've listened carefully to him live and he seems to be using a pedal for his wah, not the ADSR setting on the Rocktron Prophecy II.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

It actually sounds more like a synth than any guitar I've ever heard to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
Velcro Man
A person

It's a sustainer, just because he plays a different guitar live doesn't mean it's not what he played in the recording, pretty much everyone that records uses different gear in the studio than what they do live. Could be an ebow, but definitely sounds more like a sustainer, either a sustainiac pickup or some kind of sustainer pedal.

COOOULD be a synth, but sounds too much like a guitar. Whammy pedal is also possible.
Velcro Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
mockinbyrd
i cum blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velcro Man
It's a sustainer, just because he plays a different guitar live doesn't mean it's not what he played in the recording, pretty much everyone that records uses different gear in the studio than what they do live. Could be an ebow, but definitely sounds more like a sustainer, either a sustainiac pickup or some kind of sustainer pedal.

COOOULD be a synth, but sounds too much like a guitar. Whammy pedal is also possible.

He does it live too. I used to know the guy and talked to him a bit, and he does record with the same guitars he plays live. I know the pickup configurations he uses, string gauges, tunings, etc. I also know almost all of his rig (Mesa and Marshall amps, Boss overdrives and noise suppressor, Roland GT100 or Rocktron Prophesy II depending on the gig, Rocktron intellipitch, sometimes a Rocktron Chameleon blackface)

Last edited by mockinbyrd : 09-19-2013 at 08:43 PM.
mockinbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
KevinKing

:O Wow, whatever he is doing sound amazing!
KevinKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #12
Velcro Man
A person

Well, it's some kind of effect, there's no technique to prevent a note from decaying, vibrato with a lot of gain, i suppose, but that's not vibrato, it's something digitally lengthening the note or something keeping the string vibrating
Velcro Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
Slashiepie
Banged

Probably Harmonics with a digital Mixture of Wah + Echo + That psych pedal that makes stuff really wet + some EQ filter a lot of gain and a noisegate. Hard to describe.
On guitar rig i guess one could use the cat filter. it also sound like he added some EQ or filter from his DAW or VST's on top.

Maybe even wocoder with notes being played with piano/synth in a second track on top of the guitar ?

Maybe two or three different guitar tracks playing the same with different presets together.

Anyways my guess is digital effects.

Edit: Almost have it (with guitar rig) but the harmonics are dying super fast because there is just too much stuff on top of it. Will maybe figure it out ^^.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.

Last edited by Slashiepie : 09-20-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
mockinbyrd
i cum blood

[QUOTE=Slashiepie]Probably Harmonics with a digital Mixture of Wah + Echo + That psych pedal that makes stuff really wet + some EQ filter a lot of gain and a noisegate. Hard to describe.
On guitar rig i guess one could use the cat filter. it also sound like he added some EQ or filter from his DAW or VST's on top.

Maybe even wocoder with notes being played with piano/synth in a second track on top of the guitar ?

Maybe two or three different guitar tracks playing the same with different presets together.

Anyways my guess is digital effects.

Edit: Almost have it (with guitar rig) but the harmonics are dying super fast because there is just too much stuff on top of it. Will maybe figure it out ^^.[/QUOTE

]

Awesome! I'll keep working on it as well. Can't wait to hear about your results.

Rate This Thread: