Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
heretic-clown

Where to start?

Ok, this may have been answered before in another post so I apologize in advance. To begin, I have absolutely no knowledge about recording, mixing or interfaces, other than pressing the REC button on devices.

I live in a small home and can convert my bedroom if need be, I am on a budget but won't say how much, just know that I don't want to buy the most expensive items but at the same time I don't want the cheapest either. If by chance that the expensive item is just a must have and cannot be beaten please say so. I only play guitar and bass so if that affects anything, there you go. I want to know what I need to create good recordings, like I stated above, i have no clue where to begin, what to look for, what to buy. So i'm hoping that the people here of UG are willing to show me the way. Thank you in advance to those who help.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
heretic-clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
hardcore81
licensed douchebag

i got a lexicon alpha interface with cubase LE5 for 100 bucks. from there i got an sm57 dynamic mic and a behringer c-1 condenser mic used on amazon. those essentials and some free VST plugins are really all you need on a tight budget to get started. from there it's a lot of trial and error, trying weird stuff and youtube tutorials to teach yourself how to get a handle on recording

My band's Facebook

My band's Bandcamp

My band's Youtube

My Youtube channel

My doom project
hardcore81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
chatterbox272

You need an interface, a DAW, and some form of monitoring. For the interface, check out our interfaces sticky. For a DAW you can't go wrong with REAPER IMO, it's cheap (~$60), there's an abundance of tutorials/videos/manuals on using it, it can be themed to look however you want it to, and it can be extended with extensions to help your workflow.

Finally you need some monitoring. If you're trying to do this cheaply then you're probably going to want to get some good studio headphones. The Audio Technica ATH-M50 cannot be beaten in it's price range IMO, if you can justify it then get a pair of those and you're set for headphones forever. If you need cheaper then check out Sennheiser, they do some pretty decent budget gear. If you have more to spend then invest in a nice set of studio monitors, I won't give you a recommendation here because I don't own any myself so I can't really help with that (although plenty of others here can).

If you want to record full songs, then you might want drum software too. At the moment the best option there is Sennheiser's DrumMic'A which is free, as long as you can figure out how to download/install it (it's only available on the german website). There are other options around (Steven Slate, Superior Drummer), but when your just starting there's not much sense in spending money on something when you can get a comparable product for free.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #4
StuartBahn

Recording with mice is great but v difficult to recapture the same sound. If you can manage it, I suggest an audio interface like Apogee Duet and some great software for recording, like Cubase (if you use pc) or Logic (if you use Mac). These two will go a very long way.
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

First of all, what do you want to record? Acoustic guitar and vocal? Full-on 14-piece swing band? Electropop with vocals?

That will make a huge difference in what kind of gear you will need to get.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
heretic-clown

Hey thanks for all the advice, i wrote down everything so thanks a bunch.
@axemanchris I will be mainly recording electric guitar, would like drum samples so that Sennheiser's DrumMic'A software that chatterbox272 suggested would be also on it, as well as bass, vocals.

also, i been hearing a lot about multitrack recorders, like the Tascam DP-008EX (dunno if thats a good one), would there be a need for a DAW if you use one of these or would a DAW be just more better?
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
heretic-clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Mics:

elec guitars - should have an SM57 as a "safe place to start", but if you can reach it, also try out a Sennheiser MD421. (got mine used for $250)

Bass - go direct, or mic up a cab with either the same MD421. Also maybe mic up a cab with a Sennheiser e602 (mine was $150 used), an SM7 ($400 new) or an RE-20 ($450? new). Never rule out used.

Vocals - Some of those same dynamic mics will be good for trying out for vocals - MD421, definitely the SM7, and maybe the RE-20, depending on your voice. A typical go-to mic for vocals is a large diaphragm condenser, and there are a few usable options in the $200-ish range. I had a Rode NT1 a while back that I was happy with, and I sold it for about $175 or so.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Jes Johnson

I just started recording myself, so we're pretty much in the same boat. Personally, I'd suggest getting Logic Pro X if you got a Mac. It's what I've been using, and I've found it to be really easy to learn. It also comes with its own drum program. It's about 200 bucks, which I think is really cheap considering what you're getting.
Jes Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #9
jonajoh2
Banned

I haven't tried either of those.

jonajoh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: