Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #21
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

My Laney VC30 sounds just fine at bedroom levels. The overdrive sound you get with just the gain knob is very good (at least for low gain sounds - it gets a bit fizzy with the gain cranked so I keep the gain at 7, maybe an OD pedal could help at achieving higher gain sounds at lower levels). The volume doesn't need to be cranked. And at bedroom volumes it sounds just fine. I actually never really turn the volume control past 1 (I would say the volume increase on my amp from 1 to 2 is the biggest - after that it doesn't even get that much louder). Not every amp is like that, some need to be turned a bit louder (I tried a Marshall VM that sounded really fizzy at bedroom levels and I had to turn it up pretty loud to get good tones out of it).

But the thing is, you don't need power tube break up to sound good. I think too many people just jump on the band wagon ("tube amps don't sound good unless you crank them").

The best thing to do is to try a couple of tube amps and see how they sound at bedroom levels. Remember that this doesn't have to do with the wattage. There are some 100 watt amps that sound awesome at bedroom levels and some 20 watt amps that sound terrible at bedroom levels. You need to try the amp to find it out. But high wattage doesn't necessarily mean bad bedroom tones. Higher wattage just means that you can achieve cleaner sounds at higher volumes. So your clean channel stays clean at gigging volumes.

IMO my Laney VC30 sounds really good at bedroom levels and a lot better than almost any solid state or modeling amp that I have tried at any level. I'm really happy with it. Actually a Laney VC30 could fit you pretty well. But remember to try it first. (Though it might be that it doesn't fit your budget, though I got mine for €280 used.)

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #22
miketar

311- my focus will be blues mostly with classic rock mixed in. Have you any experience with any of the modelers- Mustang, Vyper, Cube, and if so what do you think? This can be answered by anyone that knows about these, because that was my first thought when I started thinking about an amp upgrade.
Maggar- I am definitely going to look into the Laney along with the others. I am also going to check out pedals.
I hope to get a good education down at my brothers this weekend, but you guys have presented me with a wealth of knowledge already and I have learned a lot. Along with all of your recommendations to check out, I appreciate all the knowledge you have passed on to me. I already feel better prepared to go out and conduct a semi-intelligent search. It is always a better feeling walking into a store armed with some knowledge so the salesperson is not able to sell you what he wants to, instead of what you want. I am not opposed to buy used either. I will just have to learn what to look for in used equipment so I don't buy someone's problem.
Once again I thank everyone for their help. You have made it a very pleasant introduction to the forum.
miketar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #23
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketar
311- my focus will be blues mostly with classic rock mixed in. Have you any experience with any of the modelers- Mustang, Vyper, Cube, and if so what do you think? This can be answered by anyone that knows about these, because that was my first thought when I started thinking about an amp upgrade.
Maggar- I am definitely going to look into the Laney along with the others. I am also going to check out pedals.
I hope to get a good education down at my brothers this weekend, but you guys have presented me with a wealth of knowledge already and I have learned a lot. Along with all of your recommendations to check out, I appreciate all the knowledge you have passed on to me. I already feel better prepared to go out and conduct a semi-intelligent search. It is always a better feeling walking into a store armed with some knowledge so the salesperson is not able to sell you what he wants to, instead of what you want. I am not opposed to buy used either. I will just have to learn what to look for in used equipment so I don't buy someone's problem.
Once again I thank everyone for their help. You have made it a very pleasant introduction to the forum.

Here's an amp shootout where you can try and get a feel for how these types of amps sound.

Blackfire. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #24
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Thanks dude but my clips are not near as good as yours and others here. Also, I only had one Blackheart clip and it has a rock/blues vibe in my profile. I think something like that would be good for the TS.

TBH i didn't check your BH1 clips, but you generally do a lot well. the main thing is that you know very much about the gear you have and i am unfamilliar with it. i figured "311 played it and owns one, and he know his shit, which you did and helped him out.

i still am amazed by your attention to those renegade clips. it was low volume and my wife's iphone (3 IIRC back then). just tried it a few times and posted best. i haven't even owned a renegade in at least three years and i think i had it less than a year too.

my playing is extremely dated. i just don't have a better way to record now or i would. i have a mic and an interface but no computers set up for anything close to that, or recent enough. i am on vista now. lol. i just need a good computer.

back to OP sorry for hijack.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #25
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

You know, I really like the Rebel 20 and Tweaker 15. I only had a little bit to play with the Tweaker when I tried it, but this Rebel 20 of mine, it hits it. Sounds just fine at low volumes, too.\

The Rebel even has a "Watts" control, which lowers the headroom. Though I think it's a bit mislabeled to be "Watts".

Last edited by DeathByDestroyr : 10-02-2013 at 10:14 PM.
DeathByDestroyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #26
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I like the Egnater products as well. The Tweaker and the Rebel are really decent.

Derek

Blackfire - posted some good demos.

Mike - I have experience with the Vypyrs. I own a Vypyr 60. See post 20

I was contrasting 3 very different amps that I own. A used Vypyr 60 might be something to consider. I got mine for $300. Honestly, for mostly blues and some classic rock - I think an all tube amp will suite you better. The Blackhearts, Egnaters, Traynors, Laneys, Crate Vs, Marshall Class 5, Fender Blues Jr or SuperChamp* etc is probably what you want.

*SuperChamp is a hybrid modeller.

Here is my one and only bluesy'ish clip
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...usic/play798828
Old 10-03-2013, 02:24 AM   #27
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust

those 5 w. bugera´s sound really nice. They have an attenuator so you can choose from 5-1w giving you max. tube distortion at the lowest of volumes. I tried one with a strat and an es335 copy and they really do that blues tone quit well and same goes for Classic rock. The reverv is "OK" but that´s why god invented pedals. they´re pretty cheap (here in Europé) but really rich tone wise! (man I should right their slogans)

my lead just recently purchase a ht5...they sound really good and get can get loud when needed!!! Just a word of warning....after reading about all the issues they´ve had with their transistors on the board I´d really be carefull and stear clear of 2011--2012 models and buy 2013 with a 3 year warranty
Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #28
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

The Bugeras and Blackstars have good tone but I personally would not buy one.

Bugera - because they are a shady company
Blackstar - because they are a shady company

Everyone can make up their own mind though
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #29
Robbgnarly

Quote:
The Bugeras and Blackstars have good tone but I personally would not buy one.

Bugera - because they are a shady company with poor QC
Blackstar - because they are a shady company

Everyone can make up their own mind though

Fixed
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #30
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Quote:
1.) Blackheart 1 watt amp. Low watt, 1 control (volume ), simple, uses 2 -12AX7 Chinese tubes, a bit fizzy and muddy through its original 112 cab. Now - replace the tubes with JJs, hit the front end with a clean boosting OD pedal, turn the guitar volume back a bit, and run it into a decent 212 cab/speakers and BAM. Good tone at low volumes.

2.) Splawn Quick Rod. High watts (100), multi-channel, multi-featured, somewhat finicky, awesome parts, build quality, trannys, tubes, etc. Now - pull two power tubes and run at half power, EQ pedal in the loop, volume pedal in the loop, gain on 1pm, volume on 9am and BOOM. Good tone at low volumes.

3.) Vypyr Tube 60. Medium watts (60), hybrid modeling amp, multi-featured, cheaper Chinese tubes, decent parts and quality, decent speaker. Now - find a amp model and effect(s) you like, and use the Pre Gain, Post Gain, and Volume controls to get you virtually any combination of tones at any volume and POW. Good tone at low volumes.

Damn 311 I now want this shit for every single amp in the world.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #31
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Damn 311 I now want this shit for every single amp in the world.

Me too

I used to do 'Mini Review' threads if you are interested but nothing recently. I thought about making a big thread or blog for this kind of thing but everyone's opinions are different.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:37 AM   #32
AshersUK

One amp you might want to consider is the Marshall SL5. It has a 12" speaker and both 5W and 1W modes. It seems well thought of, if slightly pricey.
AshersUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #33
SpiralArchitec7

Maybe look into a pig nose. Ive heard a lot of good things about those.

SpiralArchitec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #34
miketar

I will be looking at the Marshal SL series for sure and have heard some good things about Pignose, so they will go on the list also.
311- I think it would be a great idea to put together a large post. All of the new players would benefit from it greatly, as I have. Alot of new learners come to the site and join up here just like I have. It is a great source of knowledge here on the forums for us to take advantage of.
miketar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #35
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras

Pretty steep price at $700 for the Marshall SL5, nice lil amp not sure about the price though.
Blackfire. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #36
Robbgnarly

I'd look at the 15 watt Laney Tony Iommy combo over the SL5.

The SL5 is high priced for what it is IMO
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #37
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketar
311- I think it would be a great idea to put together a large post. All of the new players would benefit from it greatly, as I have. Alot of new learners come to the site and join up here just like I have. It is a great source of knowledge here on the forums for us to take advantage of.

Yeah, I've considered it. I'm honestly not that great at reviewing things though. And like I said, everyone's tastes are different. If we could figure out a productive way to make a GGnA type thread that does that it might work. Not sure.

something like this perhaps?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=986313

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 10-05-2013 at 10:52 AM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #38
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Quote:

Well it would definitely help to write a bit about how amps technically work, like what a master volume is, and what is the part of the preamp that distorts the signal if you turn the gain up and the volume down, and how your everyday 100w amp isn't as loud as the AC30 and why.

I'd love to help you a bit with that if you feel like you could use some help!

Also, hell yeah my amp has got two green cells and just one red one
Old 10-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #39
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Like this?:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=278232

Top of page 6 in the Resource sticky.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #40
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Quote: