Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Bladez22
so dumb

Bass theory book

Has anyone used or heard of any good bass music theory books and could give me a recommendation?

I've been looking for lessons and stuff online but I find I find it easier to just flick through a book. I'm looking at some books on amazon now but I dont know which is better and cant choose

Oh and if anyone has any recommendations for general musical theory books I'll grab those as well while I'm at it. Thanks

This cosmic dance of decadence and withheld permissions twists our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend.

Bladez22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Music theory is universal, there's really no "bass theory".

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Bladez22
so dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Music theory is universal, there's really no "bass theory".

I meant like a bass exercise book that builds into basic theory, like bass chords, modes. that sort of stuff. I've found one or two on amazon but I cant tell if they're worth getting

Edit: yeah, I should've been a little clearer, I'm looking for something on bass chords, scales, patterns/modes, so I can get the basics of that before learning some proper music theory

This cosmic dance of decadence and withheld permissions twists our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend.

Last edited by Bladez22 : 09-30-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
moody git
I bad writing

IMO you'd be better off getting a standard music theory book and then applying it to the bass yourself. it would make you more versatile and hopefully avoid getting stuck in the situation i'm in. yeah i know the theory, but only on the fretboard. give me a piano or a clarinet and i'm hopeless and have no idea how to envision the modes that i know on bass.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Bladez22
so dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by moody git
IMO you'd be better off getting a standard music theory book and then applying it to the bass yourself. it would make you more versatile and hopefully avoid getting stuck in the situation i'm in. yeah i know the theory, but only on the fretboard. give me a piano or a clarinet and i'm hopeless and have no idea how to envision the modes that i know on bass.

I'll look into doing that, thanks

edit: I went into the music shop today and picked up a book on the basics of music theory

Last edited by Bladez22 : 10-01-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Forget about Amazon.com. Go right to the sacred shrine for all printed things bass:

http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/default.asp

Whatever you are looking for, these guys will have at least four different choices. And they are good people to deal with.

Beyond that, the books published by Musician's Institute (MI Publishing) are a good place to start. And Bassbooks should have them all.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
damienbass

Ohhh, You are looking for Method. Look up Bass Method for Beginners. There are 3 different books with everything you need. Be ready for your first theory lesson. Your eyes will spin and smoke will come out of your brain. The more you play and listen, the more it will start to make sense.

Bass:
Ibanez SR 756
Ibanez BTB 676
damienbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
ozzyismetal
UG's thingamajig

Anything written by Ed Friedland is going to be a great jumping in point. His books are really clear, have great companion tracks and progress you well.
After that you might want to look at The Latin Bass Book by Oscar Stagnaro if you want to explore into a much different area and expand your chops.

Also, try to find some reputable books that have score only (i.e. no tab) if you really want to give your sight reading a turbo charge. Standing in the Shadows of Motown is great for this, as are the Jazz RealBooks.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
also UG's musical theatre nerd
show

Last edited by ozzyismetal : 10-02-2013 at 11:28 PM.
ozzyismetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: