Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
IllusionOfLife

Question Epiphone G-310 or Vintage G-400

Hi there!

I've been a starter with guitars for many years now. I was playing years ago and then stopped, but this last year i've been more serious about it. These past months i've taken it from the basics to learn properly.

So i've had this LTD http://esp-ltd.ru/data/moduleImages...1c2db52667f.jpg for all these years that i'm not even sure if it's original, together with a crappy amp that i can't remember the name (they're at home, but i'm not)
I think i bought them all together, for 50 euros. It's been something like 10 yrs ago, so i can't tell for sure..

This last year i've been playing with much better guitars, so when i go back to my crappy ltd, i can tell the difference. So i thought it's time for a new guitar! I was thinking either the Epiphone G-310 or the Vintage G-400. Thing is, 260 euros that the G-400 costs is the peak of my budget, so if i buy this, i won't buy a new amplifier.
So my question is, Epiphone G-310 together with a decent amplifier, or G-400 with my old, crappy amp?
The truth is that i fell in love with the Vintage G-400 , but if plugging it in the old amp kills it, then it's no use..

I like playing new and old rock, metal, and i'm trying a bit of santana as well.

I'd appreciate your opinions!

Thanks y'all

From Greece btw..

Last edited by IllusionOfLife : 10-01-2013 at 09:16 PM.
IllusionOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
GuitarShedVideo

In your situation, I'd recommend getting the g310 and a decent practice amplifier. The g400 is definitely better, but if you don't have an amplifier with at least decent tone, you can spend whatever you like on a guitar and it still won't sound good. The 310 has good pickups, and the alder body gives it a nice, rich tone. If you're looking for a good practice amp that won't break the bank, id look into a Marshall MG combo or a used Vox Valvetronix, either one of those should give you the sound you're looking for pretty well.
GuitarShedVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
Darrell_Licht

The g 310's an ugly mother imo. I would set my sights on a 'squire' or a 'SX' at that rate.

But if it were me, I would get the G-400, and the 'Vox ampplug' lead or metal module. They sound really good for headphone thingies. I use them a lot, they are a much higher step up than that cheapo solid state practice amp. I'm willing to wager, costs a helluva lot less. find some Youtube clips on those vox ampplug's, you'll see what I mean.
Darrell_Licht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
Robbgnarly

Get a used G-400 and a used amp like the Fender Mustang II, Peavey Vypyr 30, Vox VT40, Roland Cube 40xl

The key here is USED, in most places you can get gear that typically cost 2x the amount of your budget if you buy used
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

G400. Why? G310s are awful, awful instruments IME. I owned one - it was built wrong and it pretty much up and broke after about 6 months.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Why is the G-310 still even made? It's just an SG Special with an extra volume and tone pot.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
IllusionOfLife

Thanks for the feedback!

My amp is an IBANEZ GTA10 19W. Could this one support the G-400 decently?

The problem with used guitars is that this specific one is hard to find at a price worth buying. Musiciansfriend for example, is selling G-400 for 190 euros. The total cost with shipping to Greece and whatnot, is 300 euros!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionOfLife
Thanks for the feedback!

My amp is an IBANEZ GTA10 19W. Could this one support the G-400 decently?

The problem with used guitars is that this specific one is hard to find at a price worth buying. Musiciansfriend for example, is selling G-400 for 190 euros. The total cost with shipping to Greece and whatnot, is 300 euros!!!

Your amp sucks. But I would not get a G-310 at all. I have a G-400 Vintage and it is a solid guitar for the $299 I paid.

Look for something on ebay or www.thomann.de

They have the G-400 on thomann for 211 and that is brand new. Then you need to find a decent used amp
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 10-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
IllusionOfLife

Dumb question: The only difference with the WB brown model is the color? That brown is sweet, i have to admit.. but hey...
Old 10-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Dumb question: The only difference with the WB brown model is the color? That brown is sweet, i have to admit.. but hey...

Yeah, I actually have the worn brown. Good guitar for the money.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 10-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
IllusionOfLife

What about the Line 6 amps? Looks like these guys can make a lot of different effects. Found the SpiderIII 15W for 85 euros
Old 10-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Avoid.

Also, Thomann.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
Robbgnarly

Quote:
What about the Line 6 amps? Looks like these guys can make a lot of different effects. Found the SpiderIII 15W for 85 euros

At minimum look at the Peavey Vypyr 30, Fender Mustang II or if line 6 is the only option look at the spider 30 watt.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 10-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
IllusionOfLife

Quote:
At minimum look at the Peavey Vypyr 30, Fender Mustang II or if line 6 is the only option look at the spider 30 watt.

All these are waay over my league... 100 euros is the max i can afford for a new amp. Buying a G-400 will shrink my budget a lot.

why are you saying "at minimum"? Lower than these are not good enough for this guitar? just trying to educate myself here, please bear with me

what about the acoustic ones? the seem to have good reviews, and for a decent price as well.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
Robbgnarly

Quote:
All these are waay over my league... 100 euros is the max i can afford for a new amp. Buying a G-400 will shrink my budget a lot.

why are you saying "at minimum"? Lower than these are not good enough for this guitar? just trying to educate myself here, please bear with me

what about the acoustic ones? the seem to have good reviews, and for a decent price as well.

If you can only afford a 100 amp then by all means look at all of the modeling amps available to you in your price range.

Any guitar amp will work with your guitar

I was just suggesting getting a combo with a 12" speaker. A 12" speaker will sound much fuller and have better bass response. But if these are out of your budget after getting the G-400 the 15 watt models will work.

I have had a few Line 6 spider amps and for practice they are fine, but check out the Peavey Vypyr, Fender Mustang, Vox VT and Rolland Cube amps.

Good luck
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 10-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
demonhellcat

I'd definitely go with the G400. For an extra 50 USD (don't know the euro conversion) you get Alnico V humbuckers vs what I assume are ceramic and you get a set neck vs. the bolt on. Well worth the extra money in my book; plus you'll have something closer to a real SG.

Assuming you're only using this for practice (bedroom use) I'd go with a modeler of some sort with a descent pair of over ear headphones. Something like a Digitech RP155 or a Line 6 pocket POD. If you just have to play out loud you could even run the headphone jack into some descent powered PC speakers.

I use a $40 pair of Sony headphones with an RP500 for most of my at home playing and it sounds pretty good.
demonhellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #17
samuraigoomba

Go as high-quality as you can with Epiphone SGs. Spend a little more and the difference in quality will probably be considerable.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #18
IllusionOfLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonhellcat
I'd definitely go with the G400. For an extra 50 USD (don't know the euro conversion) you get Alnico V humbuckers vs what I assume are ceramic and you get a set neck vs. the bolt on. Well worth the extra money in my book; plus you'll have something closer to a real SG.

Assuming you're only using this for practice (bedroom use) I'd go with a modeler of some sort with a descent pair of over ear headphones. Something like a Digitech RP155 or a Line 6 pocket POD. If you just have to play out loud you could even run the headphone jack into some descent powered PC speakers.

I use a $40 pair of Sony headphones with an RP500 for most of my at home playing and it sounds pretty good.

You're going advanced here and i'm trying to follow Can you plug in the guitar directly to the modeler without the need for an amplifier, just using headphones for the output?

By the way, i've heard horror stories about the epiphone sgs that the neck is heavy so they require a belt to play, and the places to wrap the belt don't look so safe.. And that they break easily if they fall
Old 10-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
Robbgnarly

Quote:
You're going advanced here and i'm trying to follow Can you plug in the guitar directly to the modeler without the need for an amplifier, just using headphones for the output?

By the way, i've heard horror stories about the epiphone sgs that the neck is heavy so they require a belt to play, and the places to wrap the belt don't look so safe.. And that they break easily if they fall

Yes if you use a modeler like the Line 6 POD you can use just the headphones and get decent sound.

I actually bought an older POD XT earlier this year so I can practice silent. It is not the newest or best sounding modeler, but it only cost me $65 on ebay. I then bought a pair of AKG K44 headphones for $29, so for <$100 I have a decent sounding practice rig.

If you want something that will last you a while one of the newer POD HD's might be a better option

I also have a G-400 and it is a solid guitar. The only difference on mine is the bridge pickup is a SH-4. Yes they are neck heavy, but all SG shapes are.

If you use strap-locks you will be fine. I bought my G-400 4 yrs ago I gig a lot and I have never had any issues. I do carry all my guitars in a hard case most of the time
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 10-05-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #20
samuraigoomba

I have an Epi SG and it definitely does neck dive. If you plan to stand and play, you will notice the neck dipping down. Of course, you can grip it firmly and keep it from moving, but this does tend to strain your hand.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: