Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
sovaso
All-American Ninja

Why does everyone like Green Day?

I'm wondering why . I have several reasons why I don't like Green Day, they are listed below.

1. Billie Jo Armstrong is not a good guitarist: He makes up riffs that are specific to his style of singing, which is good, however, Armstrong plays cliché riffs with constant repeating sounds. Ex. Brain Stew

2. Armstrong's voice is Annoying: I just can't take his voice on some tracks. ex. Longview, Know Your Enemy, Coming Clean.

3.They recycle riffs: I don't like it when I play a song by a band, and then I played another song by that band and they sound alike. This happened with me and Green Day. Several times.

4. Their lyrics aren't appealing: Some of the time, Armstrong sings about pointless stuff about how he's bored. This is just not appealing. ex. Longview, Brain Stew

5. Their songs are over-played: I hear their songs everywhere and it gets annoying. ex. Holiday, Wake Me Up When September Ends, Basket Case, When I Come Around.

6. They Whine too much: Really? One Minute?

This is my opinion, by all means tell me why you like them. I'm open to new ideas.
sovaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
BoxCarMothra
easy lucky free

they're catchy, man. i'm not big on their new stuff at all but they used to write some good, simple tunes. not everything has to be musically complex to be good, and it's really pointless to overanalyze a band like green day. it is what it is.
BoxCarMothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

That was the coolest thing I've ever seen
Old 10-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fukk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovaso
1. Billie Jo Armstrong is not a good guitarist: He makes up riffs that are specific to his style of singing, which is good, however, Armstrong plays cliché riffs with constant repeating sounds. Ex. Brain Stew

That's not true, I've seen Billie Joe Armstrong pull off discordance within an impressive and barely executable time frame, something about his baroque playing intertwined with the rampant neoclassical arpeggios uses in songs like "For the dead, gather the soil" and "dookie 666."

Quote:
2. Armstrong's voice is Annoying: I just can't take his voice on some tracks. ex. Longview, Know Your Enemy, Coming Clean.

Name one thing you know about singing. Don't bother, because I've made a convenient list for you:

Nothing

Ok got it, thanks.

Quote:
3.They recycle riffs: I don't like it when I play a song by a band, and then I played another song by that band and they sound alike. This happened with me and Green Day. Several times.

They're called Green day. If they didn't recycle they'd set a bad example.

Quote:
4. Their lyrics aren't appealing: Some of the time, Armstrong sings about pointless stuff about how he's bored. This is just not appealing. ex. Longview, Brain Stew

Appealing is in the eye of the Beholder, but the Beholder can disintegrate objects, transmute flesh to stone, cause sleep, slow the motion of objects or beings, charm animals, charm humans, cause death, induce fear, levitate objects, and inflict serious wounds. You've got to approach the question from all sides of the argument.

Quote:
5. Their songs are over-played: I hear their songs everywhere and it gets annoying. ex. Holiday, Wake Me Up When September Ends, Basket Case, When I Come Around.

This isn't a criticism as much as it is a necessity. At least Green Day play with real instruments, because I can't stand those faggotic (look it up) boy bands with an automatic autotune voice box and a choker strapped to their nuts.

Quote:

Nad I don't buy it. They're pouring their hearts out and you don't get it. We get it that you don't get it.
Shall dry and die in
Lost Carcosa.

Your only chance to evacuate, is to leave with us
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovaso
I'm wondering why . I have several reasons why I don't like Green Day, they are listed below.

This is my opinion, by all means tell me why you like them. I'm open to new ideas.

Absolutely with you on this one. They are one of the worst, over-rated bands ever. Also can't stand the whole guy wearing make-up thing. Are you a man, or a man trying to be a woman? And they're not called Green Day because they like to recycle. Has to do with recreational drug use. Another thing I'm totally against. That's my opinion and I really don't care if anyone likes it or not. It's mine.

Last edited by KG6_Steven : 10-03-2013 at 12:02 AM.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
Victor Escobar
UG's Pitophile

Their music's fun.
Uno is the album that I've listened to the most this year and I ask myself why. It's nothing new. Their singing about things that 16 years old sing about despite the fact that they're all 40. So why do I listen?
It's fun and it's catchy. Dookie is classic album and it's a great one. You know when you open your history textbook and they mention The Beatles singing about revolution in the 60's? Green Day's American Idiot will be talked about when the new textbook's talk about the Bush era.
They're an important band and I feel like they have nothing new to offer but as BoxCarMothra said, it is what it is.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Sometimes being a woman is manlier than being a man. I'm pretty sure if you were an actor in the 17th century and refused to dress like a woman you would get flogged upside down.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
Appealing is in the eye of the Beholder, but the Beholder can disintegrate objects, transmute flesh to stone, cause sleep, slow the motion of objects or beings, charm animals, charm humans, cause death, induce fear, levitate objects, and inflict serious wounds. You've got to approach the question from all sides of the argument.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
sovaso
All-American Ninja

Why is Green Day so good though? I get that some of my points are flawed and I respect their passion. I just don't get why so many people like them.
sovaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
MinterMan22
Βanned Sacamano

MinterMan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

You could replace "Green Day" with absolutely any mainstream rock band.

Because they're fun, shallow, digestible and highly predictable pop punk. From a social perspective, it's everything you want in a background music or radio music or whatever.
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

I would post the "you don't like thing" trophy... but someone else already did.

My work here is done.

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #13
Toadvine
Obviously, not a golfer

Well I like Green Day, always have. Not my favorite, but their quite good. I disagree with just about everything in the original post.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
BleedingFinger0

Green Day is like candy for my ears. And they're amazing live, in fact I think his voice sounds better live than on record.

He has a cool voice and the band has nice melodies.

Last edited by BleedingFinger0 : 10-05-2013 at 12:53 PM.
BleedingFinger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:36 AM   #15
halfhilloa
Banned

That was the coolest thing I've ever seen

halfhilloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #16
West Riding

Green Day are complete shite and so are all of their contemporaries.
West Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #17
jonajoh2
Banned

I haven't tried either of those.

jonajoh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #18
the glue man
beep

If you're a bigot 14 year old, sure you won't like Green Day. I'm sure at the age of 14 you've never been bored, couldn't get the hottest girl in school, and stayed home and jacked off instead. That's why you don't post on forums, right?

Green Day got popular after the grunge scene in the early 90s. The songs had similar subject matter, but the tone was fresh. They sounded like the Ramones and the Buzzcocks, but people who bought Nevermind may have never received a chance to listen to them. Green Day is simple, fun-sounding, emotional (as we all are), and innocent sounding (their 1st 3 albums at least).

If you don't like them, that's cool. Go have your balls blown off by a 2 minute guitar solo with 6000 notes.
the glue man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #19
Impossibru

There older stuff is pretty catchy and fun to listen to and play.

Their new stuff makes me cringe :/
Impossibru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #20
ChrisN
I signed up for this?

I don't.
They have one semi-okay-ish song that I've heard so many times it now makes me cringe to hear it.

Rate This Thread: