Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
A3ON
Howdy.

What learning method is best for rock?

So I'm new to the guitar world. I'm taking lessons for open chords on an ESP Ltd M-50. My instructor seems like he really knows how to teach and he's been rated as one of the best in my state. A different instructor, who I have never taken lessons with, said I should be learning power chords instead of open,because I want to learn rock/metal. But idk...is it really that bad to start with the open chords first? I'm having a heck of a time trying to reach some frets on open chords...
A3ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

I have never met a guitarist who could actually live without knowledge of basic open chords. Literally never.

You're having trouble because it's a new skill, give it time; the co-ordination will come as long as you keep up the practice.

As long as your teacher knows what your aims are you should probably assume that what you're doing has a purpose. You don't know enough to be able to tell what's going to be important down the line so learn everything you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
greg73

Trying to learn barre chords without open chords would be a pain I would imagine ! learn the open chords and the notes on at least the top 2 strings
greg73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
A3ON
Howdy.

That makes sense. But those F chords must really hate me
Old 10-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3ON
That makes sense. But those F chords must really hate me

That's usually the one that gives beginners most trouble. Just keep at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
greg73

The f chord will become easy compared to whats coming=) no doubt ull see it 100 or 1000 times , but learn to roll the finger slightly to the side=)
My pet hate at the moment is a chord barre chords=) but that will change no doubt
greg73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
A3ON
Howdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg73
The f chord will become easy compared to whats coming=) no doubt ull see it 100 or 1000 times , but learn to roll the finger slightly to the side=)
My pet hate at the moment is a chord barre chords=) but that will change no doubt

You're scaring me now
But I really want to learn, so I'll keep at it
Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Personally I'd learn power chords first as they're easier and fairly applicable to rock and metal.

That's not to say you shouldn't learn open chords too, of course. But I'm never much a fan of teaching the harder thing first, especially when it's arguably less applicable, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
Colohue
UG Writer

Open chords are a great starting point for learning major scale theory and basic chord composition.

Powerchords aren't a starting point for anything. If you play one powerchord, at any time, there's nothing left to learn.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

I have the most profile views on UG.
Colohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I reckon he should learn whatever lets him play actual real songs as quickly as possible. If you're playing what you want to play, that's half the battle won.

That's not to say he shouldn't work on the open chords etc. as well. But refusing to teach power chords for some arcane reason, when they're arguably the main type of chord used in the stuff he wants to play (and especially when he's pretty new and struggling with the open chords)... is crazy, if you ask me. You have someone who wants to learn, and you're refusing to teach them, basically.

Quote:

Old 10-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
A3ON
Howdy.

Thanks Dave. Btw...ima girl. Lol

But anyway...my instructor hates power chords...I asked him about them and he said and I quote "they're useless. People play song with them and call it music. "

My reaction was oooookay...so I'm never bringing up that subject with him ever again...

Looks like I'm on my own for power chords...anyone recommend a good book?
Old 10-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
A3ON
Howdy.

Btw I don't want to stop with the open chords. But I bought an ESP. And I wanna learn me some Metallica, darn it!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Woops sorry

It's up to you regarding the instructor. If he really is that good, then stick with him but learn power chords on your own time. Just because he is your instructor doesn't mean he has total control over what you learn- use him, basically (he's a dick so don't even feel guilty). Learn what he's good at teaching, and ignore the biased crap he comes out with about power chords.

Power chords are just root and fifth

on the 6th string, the first one there is your open E5. The second one is a movable shape that, as long as you stay on those 3 strings, will be a power chord nomatter which fret you're playing at. (The note in brackets is optional, it's the repeated root an octave higher which gives a thicker sound.)

----------------------
------------------------
-----------------------
-(2)-(3)-------------
--2---3-------------
--0---1-------------

Same thing on the 5th string. Open one is A5, the next is the movable shape. Same as on the 6th string.

------------------------
-----------------------
-(2)-(3)-------------
--2---3-------------
--0---1-------------
----------------------

For starting on the fourth string, the shape is slightly different as the 2nd string is a major third up from the 3rd string, not a fourth as with all the other strings. Again, first shape is the basic open D5 power chord, the next is the movable one.

-----------------------
-(3)-(4)-------------
--2---3-------------
--0---1-------------
---------------------
---------------------

Finally for starting on the 3rd string, again the shape is slightly different because of the 2nd string tuning anomaly. (The open one is G5.)

-(3)-(4)-------------
--3---4-------------
--0---1-------------
--------------------
--------------------
--------------------

For "inverted power chords" (5th on the bass) just use the top two notes of any of those shapes. E.g.

----------------------1-------
----------------2----1--------
-----------1---1------------
-------1--1------------------
--1---1-----------------------
--1---------------------------

(that's for all the strings; again, they're movable)

That's about it. There are a couple of extended shapes you can do which sound bigger again, but those'll cover you for 95% of what you need when it comes to power chords.

oh and did i say your teacher is a dick? Don't forget that part. I don't care how good a teacher he is, he's a dick.

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 10-08-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I reckon he should learn whatever lets him play actual real songs as quickly as possible. If you're playing what you want to play, that's half the battle won.

That's not to say he shouldn't work on the open chords etc. as well. But refusing to teach power chords for some arcane reason, when they're arguably the main type of chord used in the stuff he wants to play (and especially when he's pretty new and struggling with the open chords)... is crazy, if you ask me. You have someone who wants to learn, and you're refusing to teach them, basically.

Completely agree! I quit guitar the first time and didn't touch it for 15 years because of my first teacher. I wanted to play rock and metal. What did my teacher teach me? Blues chord progressions, folk stuff, etc with no short cuts. He also wanted me to stick to one song, tabbed out in full. After a year, wasn't really much better at open chords (2 jobs and full time high school didn't help) I have up, assumed I sucked, would never be good.

Her teacher should be mixing what she likes with what she needs to know.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:

But anyway...my instructor hates power chords...I asked him about them and he said and I quote "they're useless. People play song with them and call it music. "

My reaction was oooookay...so I'm never bringing up that subject with him ever again...

Trust me, get a new teacher. The person is an egotistical dick who sounds like my old teacher.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
MaaZeus

Quote:

What you need is a new teacher... Okay, wtf is he smoking? Power chord and its variants is THE basic chord of all hard rock, punk and metal. Yes, its not complex (though the speed you may need to move it around accurately can make it so) and there is so much more to guitar than chugging power chords. Though there are more uses to power chords than just chugging them out too. But he has balls to berate them and at the same time iconic guitarists who inspired entire generations of musicians?

Seriously, if he can make you the best campfire guitarist singing My Lord Kombaya you are not any closer your goals. If he knew your tastes are into rock and metal while taking you as his student, but does not know a thing about that side of guitar playing except his own ego driven misconceptions he is IMHO worthless to you other than getting the guitar basics down and honing a proper technique no matter how good he is with the guitar. His teaching will at some point wander of to things that simply do not matter to you and interest you one bit and in worst case ending up in situation like Shadowofraven described.

Sorry for the rant, but people like him piss me off. Not the first time I have encountered "Ooo power chords, even child can play them" people...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 10-09-2013 at 10:40 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #17
Dreamdancer11

I agree...in your case first move...get a new teacher or better yet... a real teacher.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #18
cha33 armstrong
in it to win it

Just learn power chords and play power chord songs like "for whom the bell tolls" the just learn chords when it comes to it
Old 10-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #19
A3ON
Howdy.

Once i get the basics of open chords down, that teacher is gone. I still can't believe how cold he is towards rock and metal....that's why I bought a guitar...Yet he has me playing country and songs I don't like. . It's like a sin to play country on an ESP electric.........IMHO.

Anyway, I found a totally awesome music shop that was EXTREMELY helpful, but it's like an hour away. The guy there was really easy to talk to and he didn't smudge my taste in music. I think I can go there if I have a problem from now on.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowofravenwo
Completely agree! I quit guitar the first time and didn't touch it for 15 years because of my first teacher. I wanted to play rock and metal. What did my teacher teach me? Blues chord progressions, folk stuff, etc with no short cuts. He also wanted me to stick to one song, tabbed out in full. After a year, wasn't really much better at open chords (2 jobs and full time high school didn't help) I have up, assumed I sucked, would never be good.

Her teacher should be mixing what she likes with what she needs to know.

exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
What you need is a new teacher... Okay, wtf is he smoking? Power chord and its variants is THE basic chord of all hard rock, punk and metal. Yes, its not complex (though the speed you may need to move it around accurately can make it so) and there is so much more to guitar than chugging power chords. Though there are more uses to power chords than just chugging them out too. But he has balls to berate them and at the same time iconic guitarists who inspired entire generations of musicians?

Seriously, if he can make you the best campfire guitarist singing My Lord Kombaya you are not any closer your goals. If he knew your tastes are into rock and metal while taking you as his student, but does not know a thing about that side of guitar playing except his own ego driven misconceptions he is IMHO worthless to you other than getting the guitar basics down and honing a proper technique no matter how good he is with the guitar. His teaching will at some point wander of to things that simply do not matter to you and interest you one bit and in worst case ending up in situation like Shadowofraven described.

Sorry for the rant, but people like him piss me off. Not the first time I have encountered "Ooo power chords, even child can play them" people...

+1

(except if he really is such a good teacher you might be biting off your nose to spite your face- as I said, there's nothing to hinder you learning the good stuff he's teaching and ignoring the stuff he says about power chords.)

Quote:

Rate This Thread: