Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
demonhellcat

They're both useful. I'm self taught mostly and started with power chords (Smells Like Teen Spirit) and then moved to G-Am-C-D-Em open chords. Honestly it was probably 3-4 months before I could play full on bar chords with consistency.
demonhellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #22
reincarnator

You need to learn chords at some point. I found them great just for getting some strength and flexibility in my hand. In addition, you can start doing some fun and interesting things once you understand the theory behind them.

That said, you need to have fun playing. As someone else said, little point in practicing blues if you really want to play metal (although again, there are ways to integrate different styles into different genres). If he is as good a teacher as he sounds, I'd stick with him for a while, but I'd also try to learn some other stuff in your spare time.

First time I tried guitar (about 11 years ago) I had a similar experience. It pretty much turned me off guitar for the next 5 years. I started again about 5 years later (with help from UG!) and this attempt turned out MUCH better.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
reincarnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

I dunno Dave_Mc

What are the odds a student is going to stick with a teacher who doesn't make it fun for them even if they are amazing? My current teacher and I have very similar music tastes. Yet, when he has needed me to fill a gap and come in at a different time, I've heard him teaching kids Taylor Swift, Maroon 5, etc. He hates that stuff, and has told me so, but he puts his ego aside and teaches the kids what they want to learn, which giving them excerises that will help them as well. His attitude is similar to mine...Slash rules...no wait, that is out common bond, it's that more people playing guitar and loving it especially kids, the better!

Heck, because I insist on using my pinky (well insist may not be the right word, I just find myself using it without thought), he's had to relearn some things that he never taught with a pinky before.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #24
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Yep it's definitely not black and white. I agree with you, there are some teachers who would put me off, even if they are "well-respected".

I was just kind of playing devil's advocate. it really just depends on how much of a dick he is, how constantly he's putting down the music she likes, and how useful the other stuff he's good at teaching is. I'm not sure there's a single right answer here.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #25
A3ON
Howdy.

As long as i dont mention rock or metal, i think i'll be fine........btw, how long does one really need a teacher for? If you understand how to play a chord and know the names of the strings and where finger placement goes (while looking at the chord on paper), does it really pay to go somewhere just to enforce that?
A3ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #26
A3ON
Howdy.

Aw well. I guess it doesn't matter. I'll know when i know,right?
A3ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #27
J_W

There is nothing to really learn about power chords, once you know what one is you've learned all there is to learn. It's super simple and is the same no matter where it's played on the neck. I would continue learning the basics from your current teacher and just start learning simple rock songs with power chords on your own. You'll be glad you learned the open chords later, trust me. This is coming from a guy who plays 99% metal. Rock and metal have clean parts too, it's not all distortion and power chords.

Good luck to ya.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #28
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3ON
(a) As long as i dont mention rock or metal, i think i'll be fine........(b) btw, how long does one really need a teacher for? If you understand how to play a chord and know the names of the strings and where finger placement goes (while looking at the chord on paper), does it really pay to go somewhere just to enforce that?

(a) exactly, play him at his own game. if he's a perfectly good teacher as long as you don't mention rock and metal, then don't mention rock and metal. If he annoys you even if you don't mention rock and metal (or you'd prefer to get a teacher who is willing to teach you what you want to learn), then get another teacher.

(b) hard to say, really. there's always more to learn. That being said, once you hit a certain level you can near enough teach yourself. And it's entirely possible that at some point you'll overtake your teacher. If he's not teaching you anything new and you start getting the feeling, "I could have taught myself that", or you get the feeling that he's just rehashing the same old stuff, then maybe you can start to consider going out on your own (or finding another teacher who can teach what you need).

Old 10-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #29
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
(a) exactly, play him at his own game. if he's a perfectly good teacher as long as you don't mention rock and metal, then don't mention rock and metal. If he annoys you even if you don't mention rock and metal (or you'd prefer to get a teacher who is willing to teach you what you want to learn), then get another teacher.

(b) hard to say, really. there's always more to learn. That being said, once you hit a certain level you can near enough teach yourself. And it's entirely possible that at some point you'll overtake your teacher. If he's not teaching you anything new and you start getting the feeling, "I could have taught myself that", or you get the feeling that he's just rehashing the same old stuff, then maybe you can start to consider going out on your own (or finding another teacher who can teach what you need).

I see you point, but this guy has no problems taking her money, yet not giving her what she wants to begin with. He can teach her other stuff as side activities like mine does. Personally, I'd be finding a new teacher.

I mean, she cab't mention rock or metal? Seriously? She had to censor what she likes, and she's footing the bill? Something wrong with this.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 10-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #30
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I don't disagree with you

Old 10-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #31
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

TS

My teacher has been trying to teach my the main riff from mister brownstone. Not one of may favourite songs. I came in wanting to learn the main riff from rocket queen. He switched up on the spot. He still gave me a bit of brownstone because there is stuff I can work on in there that is in my skill range, but he don't push or get huffy about it. We worked on both. That is the way it should be.

Dave_mc

Good! You shouldn't! Lol!

Dave
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 10-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #32
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Old 10-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #33
innovine

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3ON
But anyway...my instructor hates power chords...I asked him about them and he said and I quote "they're useless. People play song with them and call it music. "

Say goodbye to this instructor. For too many reasons to list here. The main one being, if you add distortion to all those notes in an open chord it will sound like total ass, one big reason to use a powerchord is that it's simplified so that the extra frequencies added when distorting do not produce a total mess. Your instructor is so far up his own ass that he's not listening to anything. And listening is the most important part of learning music. Do you really want to learn to play from a guy who describes the music you like as "useless, people call it music" ??? Open chords are important, yes, but an open mind and an open ear is even more so. Get a different instructor immediately.

Last edited by innovine : 10-14-2013 at 02:03 AM.
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:39 AM   #34
atza

From your question I'd say you are really at the begining stage of lerning guitar. At this point you really shouldn't deviate from the basics such as open chords. That's as if in learning a new language you asked if you should learn grammar first or skip to swear words right away
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #35
innovine

Quote:
Originally Posted by atza
From your question I'd say you are really at the begining stage of lerning guitar. At this point you really shouldn't deviate from the basics such as open chords. That's as if in learning a new language you asked if you should learn grammar first or skip to swear words right away

uh, reality check... Swear words are the first thing most people learn in a new language. Followed closely by "I love you", "please", "thanks" and how to order fast food. Learning by doing! It's the same with power chords.
You _can_ start with learning grammar, but that's just one way (a dry, academic, slow and uninteresting way). There is no RIGHT way, just the right way for a particular student. Refusing to look at power chords for rock and metal is not a right way.

To the OP, you will of course need to learn both. A teacher that does not understand this isn't any good.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #36
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovine
Say goodbye to this instructor. For too many reasons to list here. The main one being, if you add distortion to all those notes in an open chord it will sound like total ass, one big reason to use a powerchord is that it's simplified so that the extra frequencies added when distorting do not produce a total mess.

That is true. While all the good metal guitarists no their chords and know their way around the guitar, they use power chords and its derivatives because open chords tend to sound like ass under lot of gain. If you play them as chords that is. Broken down to arpeggios sound badass for slower buildups. Often used in Black Metal and it doesnt get more high gain than that.

So yes, learn your chords but try to find a teacher that is not an asshole if humanly possible. There should be someone who can teach you both.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 10-14-2013 at 08:48 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #37
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
uh, reality check... Swear words are the first thing most people learn in a new language. Followed closely by "I love you", "please", "thanks" and how to order fast food. Learning by doing! It's the same with power chords.
You _can_ start with learning grammar, but that's just one way (a dry, academic, slow and uninteresting way). There is no RIGHT way, just the right way for a particular student. Refusing to look at power chords for rock and metal is not a right way.

To the OP, you will of course need to learn both. A teacher that does not understand this isn't any good.

Agreed (and I like grammar, but I'm well aware I'm weird... and even with that i still went straight to the swear words in the dictionary ).

Old 10-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #38
atza

Quote:
uh, reality check... Swear words are the first thing most people learn in a new language.

In a new language maybe but in mother tongue the first word is always 'mummy' isn't it ?

And unless he already plays an instrument like the piano or violin than he really shouldn't start with 'swear' words but with basics. Once you can play guitar or some other instrument than you can try learning a new instrument and start with power chords
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #39
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

So hang on a moment... you're suggesting that someone with no musical experience should start with the harder stuff, but if you do have musical experience it's ok to start with the easier stuff?

Does that make sense?

Old 10-17-2013, 04:08 AM   #40
innovine

I'm suggesting adding lots of distortion, playing power chords and having fun.

You could sit with a big book of theory too.

Rate This Thread: