Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
zeek7pc

see thru black finish a different idea.

I searched around in here but didn't really find exactly what I was looking for. We all know what a translucent black finish on a nice figured top looks like. How EXACTLY is this done? The reason is.....................I'm going to do it the new hardwood floors I'm laying in my house. Wife is gone and isn't coming back so I've painted the whole house to look like a recording studio and moved all my music junk back in. I don't care about the cost or labor involved. I only have my kids on the weekends so I have plenty of time on my hands. There are no off the shelf flooring options that look like a guitar top, bare wood, yes. Nothing pre-finished. I'm half carpenter/mechanic/electrician. get it? Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!

Last edited by zeek7pc : 10-04-2013 at 02:23 PM.
zeek7pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!

It's done with dye and then a clear coat over top.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
zeek7pc

that's it? That seems a little simple. I've dyed wood and made many cabinets out of nice wood. It's never came out looking like this. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...241920000011000 There has to be much more to it than dying, clearing, and buffing. Most of the internet is full of bullshit, but i've never seen anyone steered wrong in here. I seriously want to make my wood floors look just like that. I bought a crap load of old flamed maple that came from a bowling alley. I can take care of the installation, sanding flat, not a problem. Do I dye it, sand it, dye it etc? Thanks guys.

Last edited by zeek7pc : 10-04-2013 at 11:07 PM.
zeek7pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #4
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek7pc
that's it? That seems a little simple. I've dyed wood and made many cabinets out of nice wood. It's never came out looking like this. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...241920000011000 There has to be much more to it than dying, clearing, and buffing. Most of the internet is full of bullshit, but i've never seen anyone steered wrong in here. I seriously want to make my wood floors look just like that. I bought a crap load of old flamed maple that came from a bowling alley. I can take care of the installation, sanding flat, not a problem. Do I dye it, sand it, dye it etc? Thanks guys.

You need to buy wood that has a quilted grain on it.

Last edited by Blackfire. : 10-05-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Blackfire. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:28 AM   #5
Steve Holt
I've made a huge mistake

Yeah put flamed maple veneer over the floor, dye it black, sand it back a tiny bit so the dye sticks to the deeper parts of the flame and the higher parts start to get lighter again, then clear coat over the top and you're done.
Kid's a natural I tell yah!
Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Steve Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #6
zeek7pc

Thanks for the help!!! I found a place to buy huge sheets of veneer at a great price!! When I get finished I'll upload some pics. I will be the only person with a curly maple floor.

Rate This Thread: