Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
KevinGoetz
Mute Prophet Guitarist

Strengthening female head voice.

I'm asking this on behalf of a female singer friend of mine. She's been classified as a mezzo-soprano who lacks training. Vocal lessons are not an option for her financially.

Her chest range is very solid, and she can pull it up to E5 or so with only slight strain. But she has a very minimal grasp of mixed voice, and her head voice is, frankly, pretty atrocious. She wants to sing symphonic metal, and is trying to learn that full, resonant head voice, but doesn't understand how to get rid of that breathy sound that overpowers the tone of her voice.

She's researched every video she could find on Youtube, but none of the exercises seem to go into enough detail on that issue itself. How can she fill out her head voice and get rid of the breathiness?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGoetz
I'm asking this on behalf of a female singer friend of mine. She's been classified as a mezzo-soprano who lacks training. Vocal lessons are not an option for her financially.

Then join the church choir.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
Then join the church choir.

+1
thatīs honestly some pretty good advice.....even if itīs not her cup of tea itīs really going to do good.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
queenofthenight

The church choir advice is spot on. Just be sure it's a good choir director, not some pianist who got stuck leading a choir. Your friend should also look at her lower register. If she's trying to carry too much weight too high, it will screw up the upper register. If she can get her hands on a copy of The Four Voices of Man by Jerome Hines, I highly recommend it. Hines was a prominent opera singer a couple generations ago, and he has a lot of good things to say in that book.

ETA: Breathy usually indicates a lack of support. Look through the vocal exercises sticky to see if there's anything useful there (I've been gone for quite a while and don't remember what's there). If not, or if you want to discuss this more in depth, PM me. And is she really a mezzo? I had a teacher swear up and down I was because that's how I was built, but nope, I'm a soprano with an extended lower register whose high notes took a long time to come in.

Last edited by queenofthenight : 10-23-2013 at 02:24 AM.
queenofthenight is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: