Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
playgu

Playing hard songs as a beginner

Ive been playing for a month now, multiple hours everyday. I learn easy songs in like half of a day. Everlong for example and joker and the thief. My question is if its a bad idea to learn a hard song. I really want to learn to play Ozzys Hellraiser. Can it be bad for my developement to go for such a song.
Would be kind if you who have gone through the newbie period could come up with some advice.
Thanks
playgu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
playgu

dont know if im in the correct forum btw. Maybe It should be in general. If so im sorry
Old 10-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
The Dimery

I personally wouldn't be learning any songs a month in, I would get your major/minor/barre/maj7/min7/5th/7th chords down first while learning the notes on the fretboard, learning and applying scales, get a few months of technical exercises down, various chromatic, ladder, legato exercises. And then I would move on to songs.
But that's just me.
Check out my new Hoist That Rag solo tab!
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/t/t...lo_ver3_tab.htm
The Dimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
playgu

Well that makes a whole lot of sense man Would probably be the best for progress to do it that way. The ellure of playing like a beast is just so big that I was drawn towards trying to play some awesome soloes. Ill try to keep on the disciplined track and do it that way though i think.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
D_M_I
Omniscient

Do whatever keeps you interested.

Then decide what you want to be capable of doing and work towards that. Right now is the time to get a solid base like The Dimery said. But if it makes it so you don't enjoy it, do something else. That is where most people kind of give up, because they don't enjoy the work part of learning guitar.

If you've truly learned a couple songs already after a month (your idea of learned a song is probably different than mine right now) I think you'll do well no matter what road you take.

As long as you are having fun and getting better, you're doing it right.
D_M_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
playgu

ah yes sounds good ^^ Ive done some really boring stuff in my life and kept going but yea i know what youre saying ^^ my idea of learning a song is learning every part. Intro, verse, chorus, interlude etc. Is there another idea of it? :P
Old 10-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
D_M_I
Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by playgu
ah yes sounds good ^^ Ive done some really boring stuff in my life and kept going but yea i know what youre saying ^^ my idea of learning a song is learning every part. Intro, verse, chorus, interlude etc. Is there another idea of it? :P

No. Basically joking around. Many new players think they have learned a song, but really are no where near it. That's why I said if you really learned them proper in a month, you'll be fine. You're miles ahead of many new players.
D_M_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
playgu

Thats good to hear but I do cheat a bit though. Sometimes I use easier techniques than what the actual artists use
Old 10-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
triface
Drenched in Syrup

I'd play something hard, but not something that's wayyy out of my league. It's very easy to not give a damn, wing the whole song and think you've got the song under your belt. That's what I did about 2-3 years in.

Just slowly go through the song and make sure you're playing everything cleanly. Slow down the song if you need to. If you reach a plateau, take a break from the song for awhile. You could just muscle through the plateau with more practice, but I personally find it extremely frustrating after awhile, so I focus on a different technique or on a different song.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
playgu

Think that ill have to do both man. The last hour i did theory. It was boring as **** but i also saw the advantages. Do both to not kill the passion ^^ good advice
Old 10-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M_I
Do whatever keeps you interested.

Then decide what you want to be capable of doing and work towards that. Right now is the time to get a solid base like The Dimery said. But if it makes it so you don't enjoy it, do something else. That is where most people kind of give up, because they don't enjoy the work part of learning guitar.

If you've truly learned a couple songs already after a month (your idea of learned a song is probably different than mine right now) I think you'll do well no matter what road you take.

As long as you are having fun and getting better, you're doing it right.

+1

Making sure you enjoy it is the #1 thing. I've never heard of anyone giving up guitar because it was too much fun. Even if you're not practising in the most efficient way (whatever that is, if it's even quantifiable), the only sure thing is you'll get an awful lot better if you keep playing than if you quit.

I'd also say, though, that there's a fine line between playing something challenging, which'll make you improve, and playing something you haven't got a hope with, which will likely just demoralise you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
playgu

ok so lets say that this is my scenario. Ill study theory for like 1 h per day and then just play for fun. Is that enough or is theory too vast to be spending that little time everyday on it?
I know its a stupid question but still

Last edited by playgu : 10-05-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

do whatever you like, basically.

1 hour a day on theory is a fair bit unless it's your job or something. heck even playing an hour a day solely of stuff you want to play is better than what 99% of the population is doing.

plus if you try to cover too much too quickly you run the risk of it not going in properly.

I'm not saying you shouldn't set yourself goals, but don't be too hard on yourself, either.

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
playgu

ye well im one of those priviledged people with a lot of spare time. So ive really got the time to spend that much time compared to many other people who actually have to go places and do stuff.
Yea Ive just got to have fun doing it and treat it like a hobby which it really is. Otherwise ill kill all of the fun I guess.

If theres one thing im good at its remembering patterns and repeating them til i can do it in my sleep. So I could actually go for harder stuff cause of that. :P
Old 10-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I'm not saying you shouldn't learn theory or anything like that- if you have time to do it and enjoy it, then go for it (I enjoy a little bit of theory, lol). I'm just saying if you *don't* enjoy it, or don't want to spend hours doing drills, don't let anyone tell you you're not practising properly, it's meant to be fun at the end of the day.

Quote:

Old 10-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #16
Geldin

Quote:
Ive been playing for a month now, multiple hours everyday. I learn easy songs in like half of a day. Everlong for example and joker and the thief. My question is if its a bad idea to learn a hard song. I really want to learn to play Ozzys Hellraiser. Can it be bad for my developement to go for such a song.
Would be kind if you who have gone through the newbie period could come up with some advice.
Thanks

The only way to get better is to learn to play things you can't. Learning Hellraiser is gonna be a much bigger challenge than learning Smells Like Teen Spirit, but there's no reason to not start learning it. Just make sure that you're learning to play properly and emphasize good technique when you practice.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #17
playgu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I'm not saying you shouldn't learn theory or anything like that- if you have time to do it and enjoy it, then go for it (I enjoy a little bit of theory, lol). I'm just saying if you *don't* enjoy it, or don't want to spend hours doing drills, don't let anyone tell you you're not practising properly, it's meant to be fun at the end of the day.

Well I just started to learn theory and It just seemed like a whole lot of sitting down memorizing stuff and not actually playing. If theres a lot of excersises to do I would actually like that. As long as I get to play the damned thing im happy
Old 10-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #18
playgu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
The only way to get better is to learn to play things you can't. Learning Hellraiser is gonna be a much bigger challenge than learning Smells Like Teen Spirit, but there's no reason to not start learning it. Just make sure that you're learning to play properly and emphasize good technique when you practice.

Yea I mean it should contain all the elements that teaches you the art of rock ^^(or atleast many of them) guess it doesnt matter if i do it slow or fast ill still learn something. Finger speed, technique, rhytm etc. Cant be bad i reckon. Additionally if i learn something really hard the easy stuff will become easier to nail i reckon.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Well I just started to learn theory and It just seemed like a whole lot of sitting down memorizing stuff and not actually playing. If theres a lot of excersises to do I would actually like that. As long as I get to play the damned thing im happy

troy stetina's "speed mechanics for lead guitar" has a bunch of pretty good exercises in it. I'm guessing it's on amazon's "look inside" thing, as well, if you're too cheap to buy it you can probably get the first few pages for free

EDIT: depending on how you do it, theory can be either practical or learning (or both). If you're taking a rest from playing, say, you could leaf through a theory book or something like that. If you can be bothered.

Quote:

Old 10-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #20
Aimeethebomb

Thumbs up

I've been playing for about 2 years and before then I wasn't really moving forward. My guitar teacher wasn't challenging me enough, so I took it upon myself to learn some harder songs. I've gotten SO much better since then. Go for it.
Aimeethebomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: