Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #21
playgu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
troy stetina's "speed mechanics for lead guitar" has a bunch of pretty good exercises in it. I'm guessing it's on amazon's "look inside" thing, as well, if you're too cheap to buy it you can probably get the first few pages for free

EDIT: depending on how you do it, theory can be either practical or learning (or both). If you're taking a rest from playing, say, you could leaf through a theory book or something like that. If you can be bothered.

I got the book as you reccomended dude. Havnt really looked at it yet but ill do that. Thanks for the reccomendation.
playgu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #22
playgu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimeethebomb
I've been playing for about 2 years and before then I wasn't really moving forward. My guitar teacher wasn't challenging me enough, so I took it upon myself to learn some harder songs. I've gotten SO much better since then. Go for it.

Yea, in most things pushing yourself is good. The harder the threshold your trying to overcome is the better the rewards going to be I reckon.

Last edited by playgu : 10-06-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #23
playgu

If you guys would have the ability to go back to when you started and change the way you learned guitar. What would it be? what would some protips coming from your wisdom be?
What goals should I have as a newbie aspiring guitarist? (monthly and the first year)
Old 10-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #24
greg73

^^ what he said! I am all over the place at the moment , triads and stuff I understand , the theory behind the circle of fifths I understand ( even thou I don't get the circle fully ) and scales I understand to an extent ( the major scales anyhow ) .

Ive been playing at least 5 hours plus a week and reading maybe 3 hours a week or so , mostly I play progessions , I still haven't learnt a full song , either in rythym or lead ( thou I do want to start in rythym ) I have no doubt I can learn songs but keep trying to tell myself im building a house and needs good foundations , but I guess I don't know how many inches of foundation I need . ( not a sexual pun btw)
greg73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #25
playgu

Yes that is a good way to think of it. The more we invest into the boring stuff, the more fun it will be in the future. An investment really.
I think ive got a better mental image of what Im doing now though. Thanks yall
Old 10-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #26
The Dimery

Quote:
Originally Posted by playgu
Yea, in most things pushing yourself is good. The harder the threshold your trying to overcome is the better the rewards going to be I reckon.

Yes, but it's been said (and I agree) that learning a song which is 'too hard' can lower your confidence quite considerably.
Attempting Brian Setzer's Sleepwalk a month into playing guitar is not going to be very encouraging
Check out my new Hoist That Rag solo tab!
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/t/t...lo_ver3_tab.htm
The Dimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #27
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
I got the book as you reccomended dude. Havnt really looked at it yet but ill do that. Thanks for the reccomendation.

Quote:
If you guys would have the ability to go back to when you started and change the way you learned guitar. What would it be? what would some protips coming from your wisdom be?
What goals should I have as a newbie aspiring guitarist? (monthly and the first year)

It's really hard to say. I'd possibly take a more structured approach (and also realise a lot sooner that there were a lot of shortcuts etc. to understanding the fretboard and chords etc.), but at the same time I still enjoy playing, so I must have been doing something right.

As I always say, it's a fine line between improving/practising as efficiently as possible, and keeping it fun. It's very dependent on what you're like as a person, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #28
playgu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc

It's really hard to say. I'd possibly take a more structured approach (and also realise a lot sooner that there were a lot of shortcuts etc. to understanding the fretboard and chords etc.), but at the same time I still enjoy playing, so I must have been doing something right.

As I always say, it's a fine line between improving/practising as efficiently as possible, and keeping it fun. It's very dependent on what you're like as a person, too...

Im a person that goes to hard and ruin my passion :P Has happened before. I can hold up for like a year then I just realize the fun is dead. So yea I think my approach better be to force myself to do the fun stuff.

Those shortcuts that you guys know are really invalueble info that I would love to get my hands on :P
Old 10-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #29
playgu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dimery
Yes, but it's been said (and I agree) that learning a song which is 'too hard' can lower your confidence quite considerably.
Attempting Brian Setzer's Sleepwalk a month into playing guitar is not going to be very encouraging

Listening to it I can see why ^^
Old 10-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #30
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

There are tons more shortcuts than this. I'm sure I haven't got near all of them.

But a couple of pretty handy ones are- learn movable (normally barre, but not always... anything that doesn't have an open string is movable) chords. that lets you get a usable chord shape for all the common chords while only having to learn a couple of shapes.

if you're playing a minor pentatonic box, move down 3 frets with the same shape and you'll be playing major pentatonic (of the same root note). You'll have to adjust slightly which notes you rest on, but you'll be playing in the right scale, at least.

any shape you're playing on the lower-pitched strings, when you move to string 2, has to go up one fret because it's tuned one semitone lower in relation to the other strings.

Going up two strings and up two frets is an octave (as long as you're on the lowest-pitched 4 strings- for the top two strings it's 3 frets). So if you have a pattern under your fingers that works on, say, string 5, move to string 3 and move up two frets and you'll be playing the same thing an octave higher. it also works in reverse (for playing an octave lower), and for patterns across two strings (and is a very quick way of being able to use the whole neck, since a lot of the time you'd be playing across a couple of strings before moving up or down a position). If you're playing on string 3, you'd move to string 1 and go up 3 frets.

Try to get a good vibrato (if you're playing any lead at all). If you have a good vibrato it sounds like you know what you're doing (even if you don't). Conversely, if you don't have a good vibrato it sounds like you don't (even if you do).

there are probably loads more than that. A lot of those things sound obvious, but (to me, anyway) knowing them and knowing what they actually implied and meant in practice were two different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #31
Black_devils

Go on justinguitar.com and follow the beginners course i'm 100% sure you'll love it he's one of the best if not the best out of all the guitar teachers on the internet!
Black_devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #32
SuperMissMan

I've played for three years, and if anything helped me, it was playing something I didn't find easy, and something that wasn't too hard. If u struggle with a song, but still can play it, practice it until you've mastered it...did u start with picking? That's not the best way to go, always start leaning with chords, it makes the picking easier.
SuperMissMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #33
fanapathy
B-Tuned

#1 thing while starting out is to enjoy the learning process. If you drown yourself in theory, memorizing notes, doing chromatic exercises - you'll probably end up putting the guitar in the attic and never want to touch the instrument again. The same happens if you go to some site that has a beginner program which forces you to learn these horrible beginner songs.
Learn some of your favorite riffs, crank up the distortion, have a blast. You'll play terribly but it will be fun. Yes, learn the basics, open chords, barre chords, practice good technique, you'll need those. There's a ton to learn, you don't need to know all the "boring" stuff right away.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #34
bobcrackchuc

It's always awesome to challenge yourself, and to learn new things, but learning a song like Hellraiser is a little bit too much for a month in. I've been playing for about seven and struggle with fairly simple stuff when it comes to lead work, so challenge yourself, but I wouldn't learn Hellraiser, you could end up taking shortcuts in playing it, and can get really frustrated. Try learning the solo to Smoke on the Water, really easy, realistic choice for someone a month in. Good bend practice as well.

Good luck!
bobcrackchuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #35
playgu

Justinguitar seems good. Ive watched some of his videos and it seems good. Really good since i hated the site i was currently using. It felt like something a teacher who hated his job would create.
I went back to playing stuff which really made me feel good and now I actually want to play again
I refuse to play smoke on the water even if it is the solo :P but im sure theres a solo as easy ^^
thanks yall
Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #36
MaaZeus

Justin is awesome. IMHO every beginner guitarist who want to learn guitar without a teacher should go through most his Beginners Course before wandering out on his own and getting lost into the world of tabs. Really well done and easy to understand videos.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #37
playgu

Btw really off topic. Is there any good tuning app? I would like to tune my guitar so that i can do Qotsa covers. The ones ive tried have all been directed to tuning standard or have tuned the guitar wrong. I cant do it by ear as im not that good of a listener yet ^^. As I understand its basicly a half step down for most of their songs though?
Old 10-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #38
MaaZeus

Do you have Android based smart phone? Download gSrings app. Its quite accurate though starts to fumble a bit (most likely the microphone limitation) when you start to go real low, like Drop A. But using 12 fret harmonics it can do those too.

Dont know about iPhone apps. On internet Youtube is full of vids where you can tune your to match an example.

Here is one for half-step down (officially D# or Eb Standard/Concert tuning)

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 10-19-2013 at 06:58 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #39
playgu

Yea Ive got android so it will be perfect. Thanks man
Old 10-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #40
playgu

another off topic question. Sorry for using this thread as my newbie question box. I played the rhytm guitar on a qotsa song, go with the flow. It sounds kinda weird to me, atleast the E5 chord. Think its because of the tuning. Its the right tone but theres so must dist that you cant even hear the strumming it all just blend into the noise. I tried changing stuff around with the amp and on the guitar but I still have that sound. Is it supposed to be that way? is my guitar too bad? (fender tele, mexican) or is it the amp? Playing the lead sounds clean but like that power chord just sounds weird. Any ideas?

Rate This Thread: