Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Yekex

How to write vocals on an instrumental song?

So we finally have a singer in the band who has a good voice but has trouble coming up with vocals for our complete instrumental song.
The song is is very good like it is imo so the song isn't the problem. The parts fit together nicely. It has a great feel.
But the singer just can't figure out how to sing it except sing almost exactly the same thing the guitars play. It's more of a riff song, not so many chords.
Do you have any tips? Is there a certain way to write vocals on a song like this or should you just sing whatever feels right and it's all about creativity and what sounds the best on the riffs?
(it's a hard rock song)
Yekex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

in my experience the only way to do it is to re arrange the song. so i would say, write new songs and keep that one as it is if you like it how it is.

check out my youtube page for some songs.
Blind In 1 Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Reages

Thats why people invented scream vocals, that have no melody. But really its hard to imagine if its a hard rock song, it shouldn't be hard to come up with vocals.
Reages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
xHellbound
UG Freak

There's plenty of ways to sing over riffs.

With the riff - (verse)

Against the riff - (chorus)

Melody over melody - (verse)

Even weird harmonies - (3:00)

Sorry to flood your thread with videos :P

Last edited by xHellbound : 10-07-2013 at 10:48 AM.
xHellbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
link no1
Also cute and fluffy!!!

Can't somebody else think of 'how to sing it' for him?

Sure he's the vocalist but there is nothing wrong with another member thinking of a melody and showing it to him. Even if you can't hit or sing the notes to show him, you play guitar, an instrument capable of melody, show him via that.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

If they are originally meant to be instrumental songs, then maybe you just need to write new songs or re arrange the whole songs. Our band has instrumental songs that wouldn't work with vocals. Or they would if the structure was different and we changed the parts a bit. But yeah, if they are instrumental songs, they are instrumental songs (unless they are songs that really aren't meant to be instrumentals, they just lack vocals). But coming up with a good melody isn't that easy. If you have ideas for the melody, show them to your singer. Do you already have lyrics for the song?

Not every band member needs to - or even should - write their own parts. Most of the time when I write songs, I write all parts. I of course let the others change the parts a bit if it fits the song and sounds good. You shouldn't demand your band members to come up with all their parts (I'm not sure if you are doing it, but I'm just saying).

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 10-07-2013 at 10:59 AM.
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
xgispert
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reages
Thats why people invented scream vocals, that have no melody. But really its hard to imagine if its a hard rock song, it shouldn't be hard to come up with vocals.

Dude, it takes some skill to be able to scream good. I know of bands that have vocalists who can scream and sing and it sounds great.

Yekex, I'm having the same problem. I made a song the other day and I'm having a hard time putting lyrics to it. I'm no vocalist though. I play guitar and stuff but I'm a drummer.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

Like this.

Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
xgispert
The Boss

The Mosaic huh? Not bad, not bad at all.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Nero Galon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgispert
The Mosaic huh? Not bad, not bad at all.

Yup, I absolutely love their stuff. Discovered them back when UG did Thursday Rocks so I must give some credit to UG for promoting them somewhat. I want to be able to buy more from them!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
xgispert
The Boss

Did they ever find a singer?
Old 10-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Nero Galon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgispert
Did they ever find a singer?

Yes they did, they recorded an EP with one. Here https://soundcloud.com/the-mosaic-ny

Sadly I just found out that they're on an indefinite hiatus because they're in big debt from Uni and live away from each other now etc. Really sad.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
nemjeff13

I find that adding spacing on the vocals with riffs below it help. Start off with a few main notes and fill it in. That song clearly isnt natural to him and someone can def help and even sing out of key to give a melody. Listen to Van Halen a bit even simple like "panama" and you'll see how the riff is played and the singer just uses the notes in the chords and focuses on that, not the riff below it. Thats best explanation I have right now.

Rate This Thread: