Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
JKing138

More Fuzz!!!

In a slight connection to my previous post...

I've read that the difference between distortion/OD and fuzz is basically the level of clipping of the signal. So ODs maxed could produce distortion and distortions pushed to the max could produce fuzz. This is based on transistor rather then digital pedals.

But is there an actual difference in circuitry? I know Boss pedals can be modded for example, so could I mod my Ibanez Phat Hed PD7's OD/Dist switch so it would be an OD and Fuzz rather then an OD and Distortion?

I'm not the most technical but it would be a great mod if possible.

Cheers guys for any help.
JKing138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

That's a bit of an over-simplification. Fuzz, distortion, overdrive etc are all describing the same basic type of effect; saturation. They're just words used to describe the sounds of different saturations, but this means that the boundaries are blurry and ultimately it's fairly subjective, murky territory. Yes, hypothetically you could mod an overdrive into a fuzz or vice versa, but the real question would be; why bother? The results will be unpredictable at best, and there are plenty of pedals on the market that can do what you want (much more predictably) without you needing to break out the soldering iron. Most of these pedals will have additional circuitry to filter or otherwise manipulate the sound to make it more appropriate for the intended level of saturation the pedal achieves which may be unsuitable or undesirable if you push it further.

Last edited by Ziphoblat : 10-08-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Ziphoblat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
JKing138

I know the definitions are very general. I'm trying to describe the saturation in general terms from break up (OD) through heavier distortion to all out fuzzed saturation. I realise theres no line where it goes from one to the other.

Ok, fair point. I was just wondering as I know theres plenty of mods for Boss pedals, for example. I'm just interested in creating something a little more individual, theres plenty of fuzzes I'd love to have but I can't really justify spending so much on gear.

I was curious if the circuit differences basically just comes down to which transistors are used. Its all in the name of experimentation, If we didn't have that then us bass players would probably only have a tuner on our boards.
JKing138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: