Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
DBKGUITAR

I feel like I limit my voice, what can I do?

When I sing I have a feeling similar to limiting my voice, I feel that I con do it better, higher, but I feel like my voice has a "locked feeling". Any tips?
DBKGUITAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
HotspurJr

One thing my singing teacher always said was not to think of high notes as being physically higher or further away than lower notes. She could hear - without looking at me - when I was thinking "up" for higher notes, because it created tension in my neck and chest.

Think of the notes all being laid out in front of you, equidistant. You don't have to reach for them.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust

have you studied about singing teqniques... correct diaphram use , open mouth and loose jaw, nasal singing, correct posture and so on?...if not thatīs probably a good start.

heres a few tips if youīre a newbie

* open mouth with loose jaw, you should be able to put you finger inbetween your chin and the back of your upper teeth, your jaw should not be pertruding and tense
*put your hands at your waist (right above your hips) and sing from the bottom of your tummy, every time you push a note push your hands into you side to remind yourself to focus on your diagphram
* try standing with correct posture and just lean forward a little...someone once told me you should stand like your coat was still on the coat hanger...I call it a "scare Crow pose"
*know your song.. as soon as you feel insecure it shows...knowing the text makes a huge difference
*nasal singing can be your thing but you can change your tone if you can contol it....just try singing and plug your nose....does the sound stop or alter?...then itīs nasal. Work with with humming "N" and "M" to open your nasal passage and then pretend your standing in a smelly room when talking to close it
*work out!!....your lugns need to be at their best, jog every once in a while and practice breathing exercises
*practice....a guitarist will spend 2-4 hours a day playing....how often do you sing?
*Always...ALWAYS warm up your voice.....scales with "AH" sound, scales with "mini-mani-mini-mani", deep "hugh" (like james hetfield) sounds from the diaghram....your basically like a tube amp and youīll break if you play it cold-start!!
*find your vocal range, this is something you can tell after a while....like a good amp you need supple headroom so donīt push your highs to the max every single time....nobody like false singing

hope this was of some help ;-)
Old 10-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust

this should help too....itīs good practice when upping your vocal range....it may seem a little "operatic" but it really makes for good head room when singing normally (rack in my case)

...although I will never.....ever.... be secure enough in my manlyness to do this with anyone around!!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
DBKGUITAR

thank you very much
Old 10-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
nemjeff13

Get lessons. Makes a major difference. It's usually cause you practice in a space that you are afraid of volume so you tighten up. Or you anticipate the notes coming a tighten up. It took me a few months but just gotta go for the note and if you don't hit, you keep practicing. Also focus on the singing more than the words so that you open up your throat more and dont tighten to annunciate. Think Eddie Vedder or Hootie and Blowfish to practice.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

theres not much i can say without copying whats already been said, so

long story short, the only time the veins in your neck should stick out is if youre holding a note for a long time. if it comes out on notes of ordinary lengths, youre straining. STAHP. also, while in chest voice, your larynx (atoms apple) should never go up

i used to think you had to get tight to go high, but think about it: if your neck muscles flex, they squeeze your air passage, allowing less air to go through. NO ES BUENO

goo luck bro! when in doubt: 1 EXPERIMENTATION, 2 YOUTUBE/GOOGLE

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #8
queenofthenight

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
One thing my singing teacher always said was not to think of high notes as being physically higher or further away than lower notes. She could hear - without looking at me - when I was thinking "up" for higher notes, because it created tension in my neck and chest.

Think of the notes all being laid out in front of you, equidistant. You don't have to reach for them.

YES. Don't psych yourself out.

Also, this is where vocal exercises as opposed to songs come in handy. Notice where you start feeling like things aren't lining up as you want them to. Routinely take your vocal exercises to that point. When that point becomes comfortable, take it a half step higher, lather, rinse, repeat.

The other thing to consider is whether or not the lower register is lining up right. If the foundation isn't solid, the upper stories won't be stable.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
DBKGUITAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofthenight
YES. Don't psych yourself out.

Also, this is where vocal exercises as opposed to songs come in handy. Notice where you start feeling like things aren't lining up as you want them to. Routinely take your vocal exercises to that point. When that point becomes comfortable, take it a half step higher, lather, rinse, repeat.

The other thing to consider is whether or not the lower register is lining up right. If the foundation isn't solid, the upper stories won't be stable.

Hello can you give me some exercises to use the as example?

Rate This Thread: