Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
GoneGonzo

Question Feedback on my singing please

Hey guys I have been playing guitar for a while and started singing a couple months ago but haven't practiced as much as I want too. I would appreciate some feedback , I'm in college and broke so I can't afford lessons until probably the beginning of next year and any tips would really help. The audio is terrible I'm using my iphone and a small amp as a speaker. I'm just singing over the song, sorry. I'm going to buy a mic once I get some money as well.
I still don't know music theory after all these years, I keep trying my way through musictheory.net but I get confused. So if anyone could help me figure out what I'm doing and what my range is that would be helpful too. Thanks.
I have it up on soundcloud here https://soundcloud.com/gonegonzo/rival
GoneGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
GoneGonzo

Im going to post up some other songs that I have down better. I have a hard time lowering notes, as you can hear in the parts "Siiiiiggn".
Old 10-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
HotspurJr

It's really hard for us to give you feedback when you're singing over another singer.

Also, that song is not a beginner song. The staccato rhythms are going to make it hard to have good fundamentals. Start out practicing with slower stuff.

And don't ask us to review you based on singing over a version of the song with lyrics.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Tyson2011

you have a half decent voice from what i can hear, just untrained. you spread your vowels and push a lot. A better recording would definitely help. Also, don't make excuses for yourself. your voice is what it is, embrace it.

Also, idk why the hell singing staccato would make this song not a beginner song, and its not even staccato...slow and staccato don't even have a correlation.
Tyson2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
GoneGonzo

alright thanks for the advice I will try to embrace the journey. I have two other songs that are slower but they are still over the singers voice. I think I'm going to just try to find instrumental covers on youtube and sing over them.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson2011

Also, idk why the hell singing staccato would make this song not a beginner song, and its not even staccato...slow and staccato don't even have a correlation.

Uh ...

Yes they do. The constant stop-starts in that song shine a very harsh light on his staccato technique. When singers talk about staccato technique they mean something very specific, and it's what he's doing really badly here.

He needs to practice with songs where notes are held long enough for him to find a full, round tone, with good articulation and projection. If he doesn't have that done when he's trying to sing the really rapid phrases of this it just becomes mush.

You can hear that he's stopping his breath with his throat, rather than using his diaphragm to get those short bursts of sound to start and stop.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
nemjeff13

Gotta give us something without another singer, it's too easy to copy notes of the singer and your vocals are not smooth. Even though it is fairly staccato it still needs to be sung! It's just untrained but I'd have to hear with just a backing track with a song that has vocals a bit more spread out.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Tyson2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
Uh ...

Yes they do. The constant stop-starts in that song shine a very harsh light on his staccato technique. When singers talk about staccato technique they mean something very specific, and it's what he's doing really badly here.

He needs to practice with songs where notes are held long enough for him to find a full, round tone, with good articulation and projection. If he doesn't have that done when he's trying to sing the really rapid phrases of this it just becomes mush.

You can hear that he's stopping his breath with his throat, rather than using his diaphragm to get those short bursts of sound to start and stop.

that very specific technique would be singing in such a way that a note only receives roughly half of its value (a quarter note essentially becomes an eighth note and an eighth rest). he's not singing that, so he's not singing staccato.
Tyson2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
GoneGonzo

update here-- I'm experimenting with audacity to remove the vocals, I'm going to cover The White Stripes, "We're going to be friends" and BRMCs "Love Burns" as I've practiced them the most and they are easier than "Rival".
Old 10-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
GoneGonzo

And if anyone cares, I'm trying to cut down and quite smoking for this because I can feel it working against me.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
GoneGonzo

I can remove the vocals through audacity but the reverb and the wall of distortion makes it come out weird. I think I'm just going to learn the song and sing to it then once I'm comfortable singing it, sing and play at the same time.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
HotspurJr

It might actually be good for you to record a really simple chord backing track and sing over that. Not having to compete with a full band will probably help you focus on your tone rather than trying to copy the way the band's singer does it.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
GoneGonzo

Ok I did a recording with guitar pro playing a tab in rse , it ends a little short so I am probably going to go back in and try to fix it but for most of the song it is fine. I will try to do the chord back track but I am only use to just following tabs and that is why I am approaching singing the way I do.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
GoneGonzo

ok its up, im open and waiting for feedback.
https://soundcloud.com/gonegonzo/love-burns
Old 10-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #15
GoneGonzo

Even though I haven't gotten any reply I'm still around. Most of you wont want to hear me sing over a song but I have two recordings up of me covering "We're going to be friends" by The White Stripes. The first is from 3 months ago and the other is a rough one from today. I am still recording with a micro cube as a mono amp and an iphone. I am still lacking the power in my voice that I want.

https://soundcloud.com/gonegonzo/3-...ere-going-to-be
https://soundcloud.com/gonegonzo/to...g-to-be-friends

Last edited by GoneGonzo : 10-22-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #16
GoneGonzo

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
It might actually be good for you to record a really simple chord backing track and sing over that. Not having to compete with a full band will probably help you focus on your tone rather than trying to copy the way the band's singer does it.

I decided that I have been pushing the top of my range so I wanted to practice singing lower so I covered The Doors, apparently its Jims birthday today too. Just started practicing this one yesterday so its rough. Im looking for any advice.

The Crystal Ship
Old 12-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #17
mrkeka
Lost in Translation

Ok, man. You have an ok voice so far, but it seems force and unnatural, still sounds like you are trying to sound like someone else. You are also a little pitchy at times. But the thing that jumps out is that you are constantly going in and out of rhythm... most of the time, you are ahead of the song... then in the slow parts you seem to drag behind.
mrkeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #18
HotspurJr

Yeah. You need to take some lessons and work on fundamentals before you worry about performance.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
GoneGonzo

Yeah it sounds very forced to me too. I never sang low and I don't know if I should continue trying too or if I should just bring it up. I've taken a lesson so far but I managed to get a job so now I've saved money for continuous lessons. Let's see if they help.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #20
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust

Q. can you hear yourself when your recording?...do you get the whole mix or are you just singing on top of the track

Rate This Thread: