Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
ibanez1997
UG's sociopath

Neck pickup recommendations?

Hey UG,

I am looking at upgrading the bridge and neck pickups in my HSS Strat in the next couple of months. I've settled on a Dimarzio Crunch Lab for the bridge (okay, I admit it, Petrucci fanboy ) but I'm wondering whether to go the single coil or stacked humbucker route in the neck.

I generally play prog and melodic metal, so not looking for anything ridiculously high output. Looking for a pickup to handle smooth, singing leads (a la Petrucci or Eric Johnson) and cleans. I'm not sure on the single coil, but if I go for a stacked humbucker it will probably be a Dimarzio Air Norton S, although I'm open to other suggestions.

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Currently screwing around in CGCGCD tuning

The Nocturnal Dawn (melodic instrumental metal)

7 string/ERG Legion!
ibanez1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

how's the strat routed? if it's routed for a full-sized humbucker in the neck, and that's the tone you want, it might make more sense to go for that. I don't have tons of experience with single coil-sized humbuckers, but the ones I've tried, I haven't been too fussed on (assuming I was after a humbucker-type tone).

EDIT: ah just saw your sig. I think the MIMs are HSS-routed, so probably ignore what I just said.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
ikey_

whatever do you, i would highly recommend a noiseless pup, like a noiseless single.

generally that means stacked, but in some cases lace sensors are true singles, but have a unique design.

i just stumbled onto these guys. about the same retail price as SD or dimarzio (about 70-100 a pup). this is a stacked single. they also have rails.

http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=plasma-sts
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)

Last edited by ikey_ : 10-12-2013 at 11:35 AM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good

I'd go hot rails in the neck if it's routed for single coil, it's great for legato. If it can take a full size humbucker, then the liquifire is an easy pick.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
ibanez1997
UG's sociopath

Thanks for the advice!

As far as I know, it's routed for HSS. I'd take the pickguard off and check, but I don't have a spare set of strings to put back on when I'm done.

The Lace Sensor Blue looks very tempting. The cleans are gorgeous, but I can't seem to find any high-gain clips. If you know where I could find a few, I'll check them out.

The Hot Rails look interesting too, but I'm not sure how they stack up to the Air Norton S. From the one good demo I found on YouTube, it seems that they have a little more bite and are not quite as smooth. If I'm wrong, please correct me!

Thanks

7 string/ERG Legion!
Old 10-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good

Was the video a "hot rails vs air Norton s"? As in, same type of guitar and same amp, just different pickups? Because that has a factor. But in the grand scheme of things, the HR's and ANS should have limited differences. Both are warm, even dark at some points with big midranges. If I had to guess a difference, the ANS might have a bit more low end.

From my own experience the hot rails aren't bite-y by any standards. You actually have to make sure the bridge pickup is warm too, otherwise the high end won't cut through. But they are very smooth. Like I said, perfect for rapid legato runs or trilling in general.

Last edited by Maidenheadsteve : 10-12-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Maidenheadsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
ibanez1997
UG's sociopath

No, it wasn't a direct comparison, I couldn't find one anywhere. It was probably just a difference in amps. I'll see what I can find on the difference between the two. Just out of curiosity, do you currently use a Hot Rails neck, and if so, what guitar is it in?

7 string/ERG Legion!
Old 10-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i really don't like the hot rails

Old 10-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
ibanez1997
UG's sociopath

^What specifically don't you like about them in your experience?

7 string/ERG Legion!
Old 10-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

they sound like ass

EDIT: ok more serious answer

I just think they kinda fall between two stools. they don't really sound like a single coil and they don't really sound like a humbucker. when wired as a humbucker it's way too warm (IMO) and just doesn't really sound "right", for want of a better word. It's like duncan realised a single-coil sized pickup is inherently a lot less warm than a humbucker (which is true), but then overcompensated way too much. it's also way too hot (this is more personal preference, but still).

To be fair, the split tone is pretty good. But considering the series (humbucker) tone, to me anyway, is almost unusable, i'd rather just have a single coil.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 10-12-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
ibanez1997
UG's sociopath

I think I get what you mean, but I'm hoping to try it out before I make a call. They sound fairly good to me, but that's going from the one well-recorded clip I've heard so

Do you have any experience with the Air Norton S, or know any other pickups that might work for what I'm after?

7 string/ERG Legion!
Old 10-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

nah i've never tried the air norton s, unfortunately. or really any of the other name brand rail-type pickups. I just know I'm not fussed on the hot rails

Old 10-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
ikey_

i didnt like the hot rails bridge pup in a strat. i found it sterile, and harsh IMO. true dave, the hot rails brudge was also CRAZY high output compared to the stock strat singles. like so much, the birdge pup basically acted as a boost pedal.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)

Last edited by ikey_ : 10-12-2013 at 07:23 PM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah the neck hotrails is a fair bit less hot than the bridge, and even the neck version is pretty hot.

Rate This Thread: