Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Eddie_SG

Need a new amp for metal and metalcore...

Hey all,

Current gear (sucks I know):
Epiphone G400
Squier Affinity Strat

Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Line 6 Spider III 15

Budget: 200-250

I need a new amp for playing metal and metalcore since my Jet City covers anything else. Mainly stuff like August Burns Red, Avenged Sevenfold, Parkway Drive, Architects, Trivium, Metallica. Which amps would do a better job than the Spider in my price range?

Thanks

P.S. If I chucked in 10s or something into the Epiphone would that be alright for Drop C/Drop C#?
Eddie_SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Carrot
UG's only carrot

Sell the spider.
You might be able to find a peavey 6505+ 112 for that price. Ive seen them that low before

'13 PRS Custom 24 SE IG rolling mills
07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
07 schecter C1 Lady Luck (for sale)
14 Fender strat HH
14 Fender strat HH

Jet City JCA50H
Zilla studio pro 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Eddie_SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot
Sell the spider.
You might be able to find a peavey 6505+ 112 for that price. Ive seen them that low before

Thanks for the suggestion
What do you reckon if I can't find any 6505 plus 112's in that range?
Old 10-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

You should be able to get one in that price range, I sold mine for I think 230 and it was a year old.

A Vypyr would do a better job than the Spider but pretty much anything will, so I would suggest just getting the 6505 112. Especially as you already have the Jet City, you won't necessarily need the versatility of the Vypyr.

For drop C, maybe try some skinny top heavy bottoms (10-52). I personally prefer the heavier gauges on the lower strings but it's up to you.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

have you tried boosting your jet city with an od pedal? ideally the higher gain jet city would be better for metal, but a boost (or two) with your jet city might get you part way there.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Up for the boost idea, with two joyo roll boost you should be pretty damn good.
The joyo roll boost's gain is rated at 35db which is pretty damn high, so maybe even one would do.

About the strings, I have .12-.56s on my tele and when I tried drop C they got the job done pretty good.

If you don't like heavy strings, I would suggest something like .11-52 at least anyway.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
ibanez1997
UG's sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
have you tried boosting your jet city with an od pedal? ideally the higher gain jet city would be better for metal, but a boost (or two) with your jet city might get you part way there.

+1. Digitech Bad Monkeys and Joyo Vintage Overdrives are cheap, solid TS clones that you could use as a boost. Also +1 to the 6505+ 112 and Vypyr suggestions.

Currently screwing around in CGCGCD tuning

The Nocturnal Dawn (melodic instrumental metal)

7 string/ERG Legion!
ibanez1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah. the screamin blues is pretty good too, has a lot more level on tap and is more transparent. personally i'd use the SB as a rhythm boost and then kick in a bad monkey or sd1 or similar for leads for more mids.

^^ i'd probably prefer an od to use as a boost for high gain... clean boosts tend not to cut the bass enough. it is personal preference to a large extent, though.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
Carrot
UG's only carrot

Why didnt i think of boosting the Jet City o.O

Yeah try that first then.
If that doesnt work then grab a 6505+ 112.

'13 PRS Custom 24 SE IG rolling mills
07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
07 schecter C1 Lady Luck (for sale)
14 Fender strat HH
14 Fender strat HH

Jet City JCA50H
Zilla studio pro 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^

but yeah i mean a cheap (but good) od will let you know if it's gonna work or not. Don't fork out for an expensive od, no point. if it doesn't work you want to have wasted as little of your money as possible.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
Eddie_SG

Wow, thanks for all the response. Boosting the Jet City sounds like a good idea; if it doesn't work then I still have the pedals to use!

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to pedals and there are a lot of names being thrown around. While I've heard of all of them I'm gonna look them up and figure out which one is best for me.

If I have to fork out for the 6505 +112 or whatever then very well but I shall try the boost first
Old 10-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #12
Eddie_SG

Quick question, is there any popular opinion on the pedal? Or are they all quite similar and I should choose whichever appeals the most?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
MaaZeus

Tubescreamer clones/types are the usual suspect when it comes to boosting because they work so well at it. There are differences between them but but all provide a slight mid boost and bass cut and overall just tighten the sound. Level/Volume max and gain low or even off is the setting when you want to boost something.

Digitech Bad Monkey, Joyo Vintage Overdrive and Boss SD-1 are the usual suspects because they are cheap and well made. I favor Bad Monkey because of its expanded EQ. Usually TS type pedals come with Tone knob only.

There are other types of overdrive pedals than just tubescreamers with different characteristics but I dont know anything about them. And then there are dedicated Clean Boost pedals that do not change in your tone, just hammer your preamps louder.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 10-13-2013 at 08:40 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
Eddie_SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Tubescreamer clones/types are the usual suspect when it comes to boosting because they work so well at it. There are differences between them but but all provide a slight mid boost and bass cut and overall just tighten the sound. Level/Volume max and gain low or even off is the setting when you want to boost something.

Digitech Bad Monkey, Joyo Vintage Overdrive and Boss SD-1 are the usual suspects because they are cheap and well made. I favor Bad Monkey because of its expanded EQ. Usually TS type pedals come with Tone knob only.

There are other types of overdrive pedals than just tubescreamers with different characteristics but I dont know anything about them. And then there are dedicated Clean Boost pedals that do not change in your tone, just hammer your preamps louder.

Forgive my ignorance but boosting the Jet City with a Bad Monkey/whatever would definitely be able to give a metalcore/metal tone? I just want to make sure

But thanks for all the help so far.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #15
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_SG
Forgive my ignorance but boosting the Jet City with a Bad Monkey/whatever would definitely be able to give a metalcore/metal tone? I just want to make sure

But thanks for all the help so far.

I presume the JCA2112 is a combo version of JCA20h? In that case we have to ask if Dave could try to boost the channel 1 of his JCA50h (if he still has one) and see how much br00tz he can get out of it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Old 10-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Is channel 1 of the jca50H the same as the jca20H? If so, I could give that a shot. Obviously personal preference and the rest of the gear I'm using will play a part, too.

And yeah for a ts-type od, MaaZeus's list is good. You could probabaly add the daphon e-OD20 to that list, it's an SD1 clone on the cheap and doesn't seem to have the Boss's bypass bleed problems. Depends on how much cheaper you can get it for, though- I got mine when marc mart had those crazy prices going on and paid something like 13 For that kind of money it's hard to complain. But the usual going rate in the UK is more like 25 or so, I think, and for that kind of money you're only a couple of quid away from a bad monkey, which I'd possibly prefer- as MaaZeus says, it's a bit more versatile.

Personally I narrow down ods to either TS-types or more transparent types. That's a massive oversimplification, but it's good enough as a rule of thumb (at least if you're only using them as boosts). On the cheap, as i said, a decent transparent one is the digitech screamin blues. it has a lot more boost on tap than the bad monkey, but it doesn't sound the same either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_SG
Wow, thanks for all the response. Boosting the Jet City sounds like a good idea; if it doesn't work then I still have the pedals to use!

Yep, exactly. Most people use a boost with a 6505 too, so it's not like the od pedal would be obsolete even if you did eventually get a 6505.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 10-13-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
MaaZeus

Quote:
Is channel 1 of the jca50H the same as the jca20H? If so, I could give that a shot. Obviously personal preference and the rest of the gear I'm using will play a part, too.

To be honest, I am not 100% sure anymore. It was the JCA22h where the channel 1 is the same as JCA20h.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Old 10-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #18
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I think i've heard that the 22 and 50 share the same preamp (though i think the loop is in a "better" place in the 22), but I'm not sure either.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Ok so I gave it a shot anyway for a laugh. As I said, whether channel 1 of the JCA50 is the same as the JCA2212RC, I dunno.

I tried it with my Edwards Les Paul (Duncan JB in the bridge, so a fairly-hot-but-not-silly-hot bridge humbucker), into the jet city 2x12 cab, whose speakers I've replaced with Eminence V12s. I tried a variety of boosts- Digitech Bad Monkey and Screamin Blues, Danelectro Transparent Overdrive v1 (the timmy clone) and Daphon overdrive (Boss SD1 clone). All testing done at low home volumes.

It's touch and go, really. With the preamp gain on about 8-9 on the normal channel of my jet city, the amount of distortion is roughly similar to the overdrive channel with its gain on 3 (which is where I tend to run it)- however, the normal channel is crunchier and less compressed even with that amount of distortion, it sounds less modern.

Boosting it helped. I thought the bad monkey barely boosted it enough. The SB and Timmy clone give it a real kick, but are pretty transparent- I'm not sure I'd bother with one of them unless you were getting two pedals. I think I liked the daphon SD1 the best, it had the best mix of a good amount of boost (I have the drive on it about 8 o'clock, it's a little too clean with the drive on minimum) and added bite while also filling the sound out.

Tried stacking them, too (SB into the BM and timmy into the SD1) and obviously that helps even more, but then you have to buy two pedals to accomplish that.

As I said... it's touch and go, and personal preference will play a pretty big part. I reckon I could make it work, but I'd rather use the OD channel. If you can get an OD for cheap, I reckon you don't have much to lose, as I said, most people use a TS-style boost with a 6505 anyway, so it's not like you'd have to bin it even if you did get a 6505.

Hope that helped a little.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 10-14-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #20
Eddie_SG

Quote:
Ok so I gave it a shot anyway for a laugh. As I said, whether channel 1 of the JCA50 is the same as the JCA2212RC, I dunno.

I tried it with my Edwards Les Paul (Duncan JB in the bridge, so a fairly-hot-but-not-silly-hot bridge humbucker), into the jet city 2x12 cab, whose speakers I've replaced with Eminence V12s. I tried a variety of boosts- Digitech Bad Monkey and Screamin Blues, Danelectro Transparent Overdrive v1 (the timmy clone) and Daphon overdrive (Boss SD1 clone). All testing done at low home volumes.

It's touch and go, really. With the preamp gain on about 8-9 on the normal channel of my jet city, the amount of distortion is roughly similar to the overdrive channel with its gain on 3 (which is where I tend to run it)- however, the normal channel is crunchier and less compressed even with that amount of distortion, it sounds less modern.

Boosting it helped. I thought the bad monkey barely boosted it enough. The SB and Timmy clone give it a real kick, but are pretty transparent- I'm not sure I'd bother with one of them unless you were getting two pedals. I think I liked the daphon SD1 the best, it had the best mix of a good amount of boost (I have the drive on it about 8 o'clock, it's a little too clean with the drive on minimum) and added bite while also filling the sound out.

Tried stacking them, too (SB into the BM and timmy into the SD1) and obviously that helps even more, but then you have to buy two pedals to accomplish that.

As I said... it's touch and go, and personal preference will play a pretty big part. I reckon I could make it work, but I'd rather use the OD channel. If you can get an OD for cheap, I reckon you don't have much to lose, as I said, most people use a TS-style boost with a 6505 anyway, so it's not like you'd have to bin it even if you did get a 6505.

Hope that helped a little.

Thanks very much, and sorry for the late reply. Is a distortion pedal not an option, by the way? I know amp distortion is better but I don't think I'm looking for anything amazing

Rate This Thread: