Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
miketar

Pedals and patches

With all of the different pedals out there, is there a site or a thread here in the UG forums that will explain what the general effects of the major pedal categories will have on the sound coming out of the speaker? Just looking for generalities, nothing as far as a specific brand or pedal goes. Also, what are patches?
miketar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Are you going to buy pedals? If yes, I would buy a multi FX. It gives you all kinds of effects and you'll learn how they sound like. Or then watch some Youtube videos.

This video should show all the most common ones:

Though maybe look at some other demos too. I didn't really like how the flanger and phaser sounded on this demo, they sounded way too extreme and they can do other sounds as well. Same with tremolo and vibrato - they were way too extreme to my taste. And distortion effects sounded terrible in the video. The sound (and playing) isn't the best in the demo but yeah it should give some kind of picture of how different pedals sound like. The guitarist IMO is horrible.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 10-12-2013 at 04:01 PM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

should be some info in the stickies too somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Anthoje

Also, if you want words to describe the effect or want to know what it does to the signal, I find this book useful (although only BOSS pedals are described, but they cover a great range in term of effects)

The guitar effects guide book vol.20:
http://www.bossarea.com/pocket/2007...cts_Cata_72.pdf

Sterling JP50, Fender CP Jazzmaster, Danelectro Danoblaster 12 strings, Aria 5102T, Epiphone LP STD 7 string => Carvin V3M

Peavey Cirrus BXP-5 => Trace Elliot GP7SM250

Korg X50
Anthoje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
miketar

I am interested in looking to add some pedals to my arsenal, which at this point in time consists of a guitar and small Fender Frontman amp. My intentions are to buy a small tube amp first, and then look at effects pedals. My musical tastes lie mostly with blues and classic rock from the 60's and early 70's. I am not averse to buying used or demo equipment, although new is nice. I want to learn as much about equipment as I can, so I really appreciate your help with my questions. An awful lot of knowledge here on the forum from some very pleasant and helpful players.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

A multi FX pedal is a good way to start. And once you have found out which effects you really like and need (if you even need them), buy real effects. But yeah, first buy a multi FX. And you don't need to wait until you get a new amp if you don't want to.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah

small tube amp is a good idea too

Quote:

Old 10-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
miketar

Yes, my brother and nephew both play and insist I have a tube amp. My nephew works at a vintage guitar shop so he is keeping an eye out for the amp. My brother insists on buying one for me. Being a beginner, he believes that a good amp will keep me excited about learning and he wants to be a part of my journey. My nephew has guided me through the process of obtaining a couple of good used beginner/intermediate guitars, a MIM Stratocaster and a PRS Tremonti SE, and I have come to quickly love both of them. I started out earlier this year with an Affinity Strat that came with the Frontman 10 watt amp. I am just starting out at age 60, and although learning is not easy and sometimes the basics can be boring, my enthusiasm has not waned, and I expect to be a guitar PLAYER some day. Thanks again for your insight.
By the way, what does a looper do, and what are patches?
Old 10-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
miketar

Maggaramarine- I would be very interested in checking out multi FX pedals. Can you lead me in the direction of some that will not break the bank?
Old 10-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketar
Maggaramarine- I would be very interested in checking out multi FX pedals. Can you lead me in the direction of some that will not break the bank?

If you just want to learn what all the different FX are. You could just go to Guitar Center and try out a Line 6 Pod HD500 until you are familiar with them all. Then you won't have to buy one and you can put the money towards an amp and pedals.
Blackfire. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

a looper basically lets you record what you're playing, and then it'll keep playing it so you can solo over it etc.

Quote:

Old 10-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
I K0nijn I

A looper can also be a bypass looper, to add to what Dave said.

A bypass looper lets you plug effect pedals into it, into separate loops (hence the name), and use them as you please with only the looper. In that situation, all your pedals are "on" at all times, but either are being used or being bypass via the looper. Lets say you have a looper with 4 loops and 4 pedals in the loops, then all your pedals individually are "on". If you want the pedal in the first loop to be used, you engage loop 1 on the looper. If you want the pedal in loop 2, you engage the second loop. And so on.

To get to your patches-question: some loopers allow you to store presets/patches (and work with several banks of presets/patches). That way, using a looper with 8 loops as example, you can have a preset/patch where the pedals in loop 1, 2 and 4 are engaged and have a second preset/patch that uses loops 5, 6 and 8. You can combine however you want according to the amount of presets/patches (and banks) you have. That way, you can switch in between several pedals with the touch of 1 button.

Patches can also be stored sounds in something like a multi-FX. The general idea is the same. You could have a patch with chorus, delay and reverb and have a second patch with phaser and tremolo.

MIDI can also be a big factor in the whole looper and patches thing, but I'm not really familiar with MIDI that well.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by I K0nijn I
A looper can also be a bypass looper, to add to what Dave said.

good point

Quote:

Old 10-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
miketar

Okay, so being a beginner, it might be beneficial to have a looper so I could have background music that plays over and over. That would seem beneficial for practicing. And patches allow you to combo certain effects in a group in order to obtain a certain sound using the multiple effects in a certain loop. Hopefully I am understanding you correctly.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
I K0nijn I

That's the gist of it, yes. Getting a looper pedal to have stuff played back might be nice to have to practice soloing, harmonizing guitar parts, etc. The whole bypass looper and patches stuff really is only relevant if you have to change which effects are on and which are off in large amounts, in my opinion.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: