Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Lifesign
Banned

Hammer-On Beats

How much beats do these notes count for?

Gl 2h4

Bl 3h5p3
Lifesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

No idea, more information/context please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Most likely one of the following: whole note, half note, quarter note, eighth note, sixteenth note, thirty-second note, sixty-fourth note, whole note triplet, half note triplet, quarter note triplet, eighth note triplet, sixteenth note triplet, thirty-second note triplet, sixty-fourth note triplet, dotted whole note, dotted half note, dotted quarter note, dotted eighth note, dotted sixteenth note, dotted thirty-second note, dotted sixty-fourth note, double dotted whole note, double dotted half note, double dotted quarter note, double dotted eighth note, double dotted sixteenth note, double dotted thirty-second note, double dotted sixty-fourth note, dotted whole note triplet, dotted half note triplet, dotted quarter note triplet, dotted eighth note triplet, dotted sixteenth note triplet, dotted thirty-second note triplet, dotted sixty-fourth note triplet, double dotted whole note triplet, double dotted half note triplet, double dotted quarter note triplet, double dotted eighth note triplet, double dotted sixteenth note triplet, double dotted thirty-second note triplet, double dotted sixty-fourth note triplet.

Or some combination.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
triface
Drenched in Syrup

No way to know from a tab. Only way you can know is through a recording or if the tab has sheet music attached.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Bad Kharmel

yeah, just listen to the song and play it as long as they do
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
Lifesign
Banned

Sorry about that, guys. I hadn't realize how vague my question was until now.

The single hammer-on note was random; I didn't base it off any song. The other note (2h4p2), I got off from the tabletture for Champagne's For Celebrating (I'll Have a Martini) by Mayday Parade, where the lead does that same note between two different strings.

So, to rephrase my question, how many beats would the two notes consist of, in a basic 4/4 signature, if they were played as 8th notes? Would the 2h4p2 be considered one beat, or two because of the additional pull-off after the hammer-on?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
JimDawson
Storywriter, Guitar nerd.

First off, even though pull-offs and hammer-ons are legato techniques (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legato) and thus, "tied together", something like 2h4p2 isn't one note; it's three notes using two different pitches.

Secondly, time signatures should be thought of as fractions because that's really what they are. 4/4 means four quarter notes, so 8/8 (eight eighth notes) is almost the same thing as 4/4 in the sense that they both are equal to 1. Note how I said they are ALMOST the same though- I'll elaborate on this at the end.

So, once you have that figured out, it's just a little basic math to figure out the values. 2h4p2 is three notes, so if they were eighth notes they would be equal to 1.5 quarter notes. However, lots of times things like your 2h4p2 are represented as triplets; in that case, those three notes would have the duration of one quarter note. Three eighth notes, in triplets, are equal to the duration of a quarter note.

I went out of my way to not use the term "beat", but from what I understand "the beat" follows patterns of quarter notes in the sense that 4/4 has four beats. However, the time signature implies what value the beat actually has. For example, 4/4 implies that the beat is made up of quarter notes while something like 8/8 would seem to imply that the beat is made up of eighth notes. Honestly, I just follow the rhythmic values so I'm a bit hesitant to use the term "beat" because I don't really use it myself. Take this last paragraph with a grain of salt; I'm pretty sure beat has different connotations than simple rhythmic values like quarter notes, but I could be wrong on the details. Put simply, your 2h4p2 in eighth notes is one and a half beats- I hope someone clarifies this.

Honestly, I just parroted some info about beat from this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature You might want to just check that out instead. I have a feeling that I just elaborated on beat when you really were just asking about rhythmic values of individual notes lol.

Last edited by JimDawson : 10-13-2013 at 11:25 PM.
JimDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Lifesign
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDawson
First off, even though pull-offs and hammer-ons are legato techniques (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legato) and thus, "tied together", something like 2h4p2 isn't one note; it's three notes using two different pitches.

Secondly, time signatures should be thought of as fractions because that's really what they are. 4/4 means four quarter notes, so 8/8 (eight eighth notes) is almost the same thing as 4/4 in the sense that they both are equal to 1. Note how I said they are ALMOST the same though- I'll elaborate on this at the end.

So, once you have that figured out, it's just a little basic math to figure out the values. 2h4p2 is three notes, so if they were eighth notes they would be equal to 1.5 quarter notes. However, lots of times things like your 2h4p2 are represented as triplets; in that case, those three notes would have the duration of one quarter note. Three eighth notes, in triplets, are equal to the duration of a quarter note.

I went out of my way to not use the term "beat", but from what I understand "the beat" follows patterns of quarter notes in the sense that 4/4 has four beats. However, the time signature implies what value the beat actually has. For example, 4/4 implies that the beat is made up of quarter notes while something like 8/8 would seem to imply that the beat is made up of eighth notes. Honestly, I just follow the rhythmic values so I'm a bit hesitant to use the term "beat" because I don't really use it myself. Take this last paragraph with a grain of salt; I'm pretty sure beat has different connotations than simple rhythmic values like quarter notes, but I could be wrong on the details. Put simply, your 2h4p2 in eighth notes is one and a half beats- I hope someone clarifies this.

Honestly, I just parroted some info about beat from this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature You might want to just check that out instead. I have a feeling that I just elaborated on beat when you really were just asking about rhythmic values of individual notes lol.

I think I understand what you mean. I wasn't sure how to apply the beat on the 2h4p2, and thought it had a certain way, but hadn't considered the different way of playing notes (quarters, eights, etc.). It's kind of black and white when I think about it now, but I hadn't realize it.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Whether or not the notes are picked or hammered-on is irrelevant as far as timing goes. How the note is articulated doesn't dictate the timing, if you don't have sheet music to give you exact timings you just need to work it out by ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:33 AM   #10
atza

What does the question mean?
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
Lifesign
Banned

Quote:
Whether or not the notes are picked or hammered-on is irrelevant as far as timing goes. How the note is articulated doesn't dictate the timing, if you don't have sheet music to give you exact timings you just need to work it out by ear.

Some tabs don't show measures, so it's a loss.

But on a different note, how would a slide work in terms of note value?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifesign
Some tabs don't show measures, so it's a loss.

But on a different note, how would a slide work in terms of note value?

You just didn't read the part where he said "How the note is articulated doesn't dictate the timing", did you?

A slide is another articulation, how it figures in to anything is up to you and your interpretation of the music.

Quote:
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
Lifesign
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You just didn't read the part where he said "How the note is articulated doesn't dictate the timing", did you?

A slide is another articulation, how it figures in to anything is up to you and your interpretation of the music.

I'm derping hard.

Rate This Thread: