Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Soldier Poet
Registered and Used

'Stockholm' (post-rock/downtempo) will C4C!

Hi, I just finished a new post-rock/downtempo track. It's somewhat jazzy and somewhat dreamy. It also features a ukulele doing shoegaze.

https://soundcloud.com/twllba/stockholm

And of course, C4C! I'll definitely give you a critique back.

Experimental/indie/postrock/triphop music, if you comment on my stuff, I comment on yours!

Last edited by Soldier Poet : 10-18-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Soldier Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
herby190
slaps basses and faces.

The first couple minutes are pretty chill. I really like when the ukulele comes in.
I really feel like there should have been some kind of climax or at least change in intensity around 2:45; you've had the same laid back vibe for a too long, I feel like there needs to be some kind of change. The layering in this section's pretty sweet, and I like your arrangement, but I feel like it should build to something. That whole layered section keeps building up, then just plateaus during the last couple repeats and then falls off. It feels like it's building towards something, and then just dies. I think you could definitely throw in a harder section either here or at 2:45.

Overall, it's pretty cool, it just needs more contrast.

As far as C4C, it'd be cool if you could check this out.
herby190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
Soldier Poet
Registered and Used

Thanks for your comment! I get your point but I think climaxes are a bit overused, I was really going for that chill vibe anyway.

Experimental/indie/postrock/triphop music, if you comment on my stuff, I comment on yours!
Soldier Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
herby190
slaps basses and faces.

If not heavier, than maybe just a section with some more contrast. You could have the drums switch to something more hectic/energetic, while still keeping the song clean and relatively soft. Maybe some sort of bridge. The song just doesn't feel complete as is; it feels like an album interlude if anything.
herby190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
aaron aardvark

Soldier Poet,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your tune: this is pretty trippy! This reminds me of Sneaker Pimps a little bit (a compliment).....mixed with Don Ho! At 3:15, I feel the drums are too loud. I hear some clicks here & there, don't know if that is intentional or not. The whole song is interesting, and I like it, though I like the first half the best. Overall, a cool song!
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
blacksails6666

C4C?! I got some NIN vibes with the background for the very first part of the intro. I like the calmness of the guitar with all the layers and textures going on in the background and then playing the chords up an octave to make it sound like a mandolin (is that what you did?). I like this. My song is "It's Alright" right below yours derp..... it says ukelele...sorry

Last edited by blacksails6666 : 10-14-2013 at 11:45 PM.
blacksails6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
NateCochrane93

Little To Jazzy For Me :p
NateCochrane93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
@zzasin
UG Killer

Sounded really cool. I love how it hypnotized me for a bit
@zzasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
TheProgWay

Nice jazzy groove you got there. The buildup to the ukele is cool and atmospheric which I like. I like this post-rock kind of stuff. The jazzy lead fills throughout the song are great. I don't think the ukelele works well with this song though, atleast not the melody its playing but oh well that's just me. The parts after that are really cool and I like how you keep adding little bits of stuff here and there, its fun. The outro sounds very nifty haha. Cheers!

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1618478
TheProgWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
Bocob

Really interesting intro. Is that bass tapping that I hear in the beginning? The ambient effects in the background give it a bit of a "trippy" feeling. 1 minute in to the song and it remains quite trippy :p The ideas are still developed, which is good to hear. Nice little interlude when the ukelele comes in. The idea of the whole song is very unique which is hard to come by nowadays. The production of the track sounds quite nice too. I like it when the bass and electric guitar come in after this ukelele interlude. Nice tasty lines. The percussion used is quite different too.

Overall, really original work. Keep it up!

c4c?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1619214
Bocob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
Day 1

Nice intro, the drums give it a great vibe. The jazzy clean guitar has such a smooth tone, love it. The layering on the ukelele part was amazing, actually listened to that part a few times cause I kept on hearing new things. The mix is really well done, I don't think I'd change anything.

I didn't see the ending coming, but it definitely works. Well done
Old 10-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
Imraotnh

Trippy indeed. Sounds like mix of smooth jazz and shoegaze. I like the "non-melodical" sounds as they make great psychedelic atmosphere. Good playing too from a purely technical point of view. Agree with Bocob that it sounds unique. Congrats with the nice song!

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1620556
Imraotnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #13
Ababil_Albarn
Audio Engineer

HAha i love this, top job!

Want a FREE mix consultation?

CONTACT ME!

Ababil_Albarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
jkielq91

For the first minute of this I really wasnt sure on this or where it was going. But once it settled in to itself it became a good piece of modern chill out music with some interesting twists and turns. It could make some good video backing music.

This style of music is not really my thing but I am sure there are people out there who will really appreciate this.

The overall sound and feel is great. I just feel it should be a bit more direct and straight to the point.

A C4C would be really appreciated http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...51#post32015651

An anthemic fusion of punk, electric blues and rock n roll.

https://soundcloud.com/jake-quincey

http://www.reverbnation.com/jakequincey
jkielq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
James_Het_Rules
UG Fanatic

Love the mix and tempo of the intro. Great feel to it. Very laid back. The bit at 1:36 was cool. The ukulele sounded great. Just the right amount of reverb, and ambiance. It felt like the middle dragged on a bit, but when the main part came back in around 2:45 it was a nice change. The ukulele parts during the end were a nice touch. Overall a good, laid back, chill song!
Soundcloud
Soundclick
All albums available HERE free of charge. Over 3 hours of metal!

James_Het_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
Huliheaden

Climaxes are overrated. Ever heard of Karezza? No, really. It's used way too much, and it makes us numb. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with climaxes, their effect is just much bigger when it's not overused. This understated tune is really good, and proves that you can really create a suspenseful track without it ever releasing.

Good job man! Lots of great elements. Really enjoying the uke parts.
Would appreciate it if you checked out our new song: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...76#post32021076 - although if you have the time, I think you should check out Trapped (In The Future) or Mind You from our unfinished EP. I think they're more in your style.

Last edited by Huliheaden : 10-23-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Huliheaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #17
zosomagik94

Loving the tune man. The arrangement was really nice and the everything that was going on in the low end gave track a really nice groove. Keep up the good work!
zosomagik94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #18
CF_Mono
Some dude upstate

I think I remember you listening to one of my songs when I put out that weird experimental track. You obviously have a better grip on that kind of thing than I do. Really great mastery of production and layering, I'm really impressed. Although there isn't much to say either because it's all so disorienting and challenging to listen to (in a good way). It definitely held my attention all the way through though...

This is a proggy metal song I just wrote. Please leave some love!

https://soundcloud.com/vincent_wisehoon/perpendiculous
Old 11-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
Splitvision

I really really love this. You have a fantastic sound, smooth and dynamic sound going on here. Very tasteful production with the effected drums in the back and all the ambient things going on around them, accompanied by a groovy yet simple bass line. Great. I wasn't too crazy about the ukulele part to be honest though. I think it dragged out a bit, but it's definately not a dealbreaker. The following part is awesome, again delicious details surrounding the steady rythm. Very good stuff, I'm now a fan of yours on soundcloud. Oh and it's nice to see a song titled after the capital of my native country, definately a +1 for that!

If you have the time you can check out and feedback on an instrumental piece I just finished:
https://soundcloud.com/csikasz/carnelian-skies

Last edited by Splitvision : 11-10-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Splitvision is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: