User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
stuntman133
terrible musician

Question Help me understand the bass?

Hi there, guys (and gals).

I was wondering if the dwellers of this forum can educate me on what makes a bass...well, good and worth the money spent. 'Cause half the time when I read guitar catalogues, I have no idea what the hell it's about (Maple fretboard? Rosewood body?? Triple humbucker jazz pickups??? sdfsdfsdfsf).

show

EDIT: Oh, and if possible, could you explain on bass amps/cabs/combos/God-knows-whats? I can't seem to know a good amp from a shit one.

Last edited by stuntman133 : 10-15-2013 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Additional question(s)
stuntman133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:54 AM   #2
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

To me the best bass/amp combo is the one that sounds the best for the money you invest. I've heard some bad ass bass amps that were surprising considering the cost. You should really just play around with everything you can get your hands on. Basically if it sounds good to you then thats the right combo. Try not to buy into all the hype about the newest trick on the market and keep it simple also.

Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J : 10-16-2013 at 02:56 AM.
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
atza

well to me..unless you are really pro and/or really good at bass there is no much difference between 150$ replica or 3000$ original of say fender jazz bass
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
stuntman133
terrible musician

Actually, I'm more into wondering what gives a bass/amp-thing it's characteristics, like for example:

- what's the difference between a 50W amp and a 100W one (it's probably something pretty obvious)
- which wood used for it's body/fretboard/neck will produce what kinda sound
- what pickups/strings will produce what kinda sound

I'm not so worried about getting anything yet since...they cost really expensive where I'm at...*sniff*

EDIT: Probably should've explain this in the OP...sorry for any confusion caused.

Last edited by stuntman133 : 10-16-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

Wattage is a reference to headroom, not volume. You're going to want a lot of wattage so your bass tonez don't squish when you're rocking with a drummer.

The best bass is one that feels good. I'm happy enough with my Silvertone and GK RB400. That being said, I'm not a bassist, I just have one for when I want to pretend to be a bassist.

Is anyone ACTUALLY a bassist?
DeathByDestroyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Mind_Reader7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
I'm not a bassist, I just have one for when I want to pretend to be a bassist.

top lel
Old 10-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
CorrosionMedia
Almost Sane

I'm a Bassist and a "guitar player". There is a difference

1. Death got it right
2. Similar to guitars, Mahogany is darker, maple is brighter. Check Warmoth. They have charts.
3. P-Style pickups have a good band-filling sound, J-style pickups have a more defined tone and MM humbuckers have a very "precise" growl. Soapbars are somewhere between Js and MMs

Any more questions?

Here's my SoundCloud Page
(Mostly rough demos/protos)
And my Bandcamp
(Much the same, but expensive)
CorrosionMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
stuntman133
terrible musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrosionMedia
Any more questions?

No, sir.
Also, have we met? I felt like I saw an account with the same username as yours on edmDistrict or something...

Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
CorrosionMedia
Almost Sane

I was going through a phase last year where I was attempting to make some EDM/Dubstep, so I may have made accounts on those sorts of sites just to get some free samples lol

And my Bandcamp
Old 10-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
Ziphoblat
Bass

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by atza
well to me..unless you are really pro and/or really good at bass there is no much difference between 150$ replica or 3000$ original of say fender jazz bass

Quote:

Not in this thread, apparently.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

Quote:

Who spends $3000 on a bass anyways?

You could buy a real guitar for that much.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
damienbass

Quote:

Couldn't this be said for a guitar as well?

@Bl1ndside: You are completely right about the hype. Sometimes it's what you don't hear about that will surprise you. I have 3 amps by 3 different companies. My Acoustic Amp (600 w solid state) tries to match the Ampeg but fails. A lot of quirks with the tone controls and mine hums when I start turning up the high knob. My Bugera amp is a 550w amp is really tricky on the fly. If I'm playing through an amp, I have total control of my amp but the gain knob is very tricky, to little and its almost mute. Too much and it distorts. If I plug it into a PA, I lose control of everything but my gain and my EQ. Everything else.. gone. My SWR 400w solid state is my best amp. I have tonal control in the PA but have to select if I'm going through the PA or my cabinets. If I'm playing a small club, I just crank my Speakers. Dont need much more.

@atza: As your ear develops, you'll hear huge differences between a replica, a lower model, and a top shelf model of the Fender Jazz.

@stuntman: Corrosion got it right. Check warmoth for the full skinny. Strings: Round strings are a little punchier than flats and flats are warmer. Thickness only means that you can tune down more for different tunings. Anything after D.. Just get a 5 string. The less songs that I have to drop D for, the more I can play along.

Bass:
Ibanez SR 756
Ibanez BTB 676
damienbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Ziphoblat
Bass

Quote:

Or a lifetimes supply of fish oil, supposed to increase brain performance.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

What makes a good bass? Well, one that feels good to play. And sounds good to your ears. The most common bass types are Jazz, Precision and Music Man. They all have their own kind of tone (just like Stratocaster, Les Paul and Telecaster). And it's all about which of the tones you like. All Jazz Basses will sound like Jazz Bass, same as all Strats will sound like Strat, no matter if it's a cheap copy or the real thing.

Amps... Well, you want to have enough wattage because you want your bass to sound clean and more wattage means cleaner tones at higher volumes. And of course different amps sound different. You just need to try them and buy the one you prefer.

Here's a video of common bass types:

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Tostitos
Barely Awake

Quote:

Not being able to tell the difference is a simple matter of experience. If you play enough basses, over time you'll come to appreciate a higher level of build quality and precision, quality electronics, and top shelf hardware. The laws of diminishing returns do apply, but there is a world of difference between a $150 starter pack Squier and a top of the line Fender/boutique Fender clone.

Quote:

If you have to ask this, you're in the wrong thread.

Quote:

Because people like nice things. And basses are the nicest things one could possibly acquire. Therefore, investing in a nice bass is a win-win. Why would you want to spend that money on a silly little twiddly guitar instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrosionMedia
2. Similar to guitars, Mahogany is darker, maple is brighter. Check Warmoth. They have charts.
3. P-Style pickups have a good band-filling sound, J-style pickups have a more defined tone and MM humbuckers have a very "precise" growl. Soapbars are somewhere between Js and MMs

2. Maybe try "warmer." "Darker" is like the most ambiguous term to use there in describing the characteristics of tone wood. Spot on about Warmoth having a good basic breakdown though.

3. Soapbars sound like whatever pickup is crammed in there. "Soapbar" just refers to the shape and dimensions of the pickup's shell. Soapbars can be single coil, humbuckers, split coils. The EMG 35, 40, and 45 series are a great example of all kinds of different pickup configurations crammed into a standard sized shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
Or a lifetimes supply of fish oil, supposed to increase brain performance.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #16
anarkee
oh the horror!

Quote:

warned for trolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
CorrosionMedia
Almost Sane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos
2. Maybe try "warmer." "Darker" is like the most ambiguous term to use there in describing the characteristics of tone wood. Spot on about Warmoth having a good basic breakdown though.

That is basically what I meant, but for some reason, the word escaped me lol

And my Bandcamp
Old 10-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #18
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

I'm sorry guys, I was just having a bit of fun.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:31 AM   #19
atza

@ "@atza: As your ear develops, you'll hear huge differences between a replica, a lower model, and a top shelf model of the Fender Jazz."

I believe so, but in the final mix they all sound the same don't they? At least in pop/rock music
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #20
Ziphoblat
Bass

Quote:
@ "@atza: As your ear develops, you'll hear huge differences between a replica, a lower model, and a top shelf model of the Fender Jazz."

I believe so, but in the final mix they all sound the same don't they? At least in pop/rock music

The same can be said for a most electric instruments (guitar included). It's only acoustic instruments like drums where you're going to notice a difference in sound quality in the final mix. But you don't just pay for the sound; it's the whole aesthetic; the way it feels, how effortlessly it plays, etc etc. I might not get a vastly better sound in the mix out of a well made instrument versus a poorly made one, but I'll damn well give a better performance.

EDIT: And I'm talking purely about different takes on the same design (Squier Jazz versus Fender Jazz etc) here. There's a definite noticeable difference in sound between different types of design, even in the context of a mix, and if you can't hear that then it's your ears unfortunately.

Last edited by Ziphoblat : 10-18-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Ziphoblat is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: