Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
thekeymaster

Guitar interface for my needs

Hi! I am looking to buy a guitar interface for my home studio, but as there are so many with different specifications, I though I'd ask over here.
1. I already own Guitar Rig 5 with all the addons and sounds that I like and will use. Without an interface with preamps they sound crap, but that will change once I can plug my guitar into something else than a cheap jack converter that goes into mic-in.
2. For now, I will only be recording ONE electric guitar at time to create single tracks, that will later be stacked on top of each other. No vocals, no drums for now.
3. All of my guitars have passive pickups.
4. I have a powerful PC with SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Gold that I may or may not use, it makes no difference as long as the sound quality is good. Also, USB 2.0.
5. It'd be good if it had separate phones and monitor line-outs.
6. The interface should come with recording software that will enable me to use GuitarRig5.

I have spent WEEKS browsing these and haven't been able to come up with a single solution, there are just too many of these things.

ANY help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
thekeymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

You may have spent WEEKS browsing, but have you read the interfasces sticky yet? That will give you all the answers you need.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
thekeymaster

I'm just doing that now, that topic doesn't cover even 1/10 of all the interfaces out there, but Im tired of looking and will probably go for the focusrite 2i2 and a set of superlux hd681 evo headphones... Just hoping I will be able to use this with GuitarRig5 and something to record my tracks with, maybe Cubase..?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

It doesn't cover every interface out there because it's not meant to. It's meant to have the best recommendations for each price range that the writers have experience of. If you want write ups of all interfaces on the market, that's what google is for.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 10-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Yeah... I mean you really expect the users of this forum to of used every interface ever?

That's just crazy.

Also the 2i2 is next to useless without a pad, don't buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
thekeymaster

I'm not expecting anybody to do anything, I was just stating a simple fact. Also, how come you say the 2i2 is useless? The 2i4 is supposed to be the beezkneez according to your little list there, are they that different?
Old 10-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

I use a tascam us-100 for guitar rig 5. it is an inexpensive, but sturdy interface with no lag issues that Ive noticed. and its practically plug and play, no hassles with any software except for ASIO(which should be set up for any audio software).

check out recent videos in my youtube channel "rampage222555" in which I use the rtm2 power preset without any postprocessing and compare.

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
thekeymaster

There is a noticeable gap between the audio and the video in your recordings, though that doesn't necessarily have to be the interface's or the software's fault. Also, the US-100 model is not available where I live, so I can't get it anyway, but thanks for the input.
I will most likely go for the 2i4, after the research I made it should be all I need for now and in the near future. I'd hate to get a cheap interface now just to have to buy a more expensive one after I figure out that I'm missing out on something, and those 2i4 models seem to be the best for the price.
I will keep looking though in case I can find something better, if anyone wants to add anything, please do.
Peace
Old 10-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeymaster
I'm not expecting anybody to do anything, I was just stating a simple fact. Also, how come you say the 2i2 is useless? The 2i4 is supposed to be the beezkneez according to your little list there, are they that different?

The 2i2 doesn't have a pad, as I said. Which is a input attenuator, the 2i4 has one meaning it's FAR more useful for DIing guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
thekeymaster

Gotcha. Didn't know about that until I put the 2i2 and the 2i4 side by side, somehow didn't notice that before, thanks.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
The 2i2 doesn't have a pad, as I said. Which is a input attenuator, the 2i4 has one meaning it's FAR more useful for DIing guitars.

Probably worth adding a comment about that in the sticky? People may see the 2i4 recommendation & just assume the 2i2 is the same quality.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 10-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #12
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

^ added that to the sticky

I have donated 3920 grains of rice!
jof1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:18 AM   #13
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.