Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
reiyt

All of the new, none of the clue

Hey there.

I was just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give me a few singing tips?
I'm relatively new although I've had a few lessons and am seeing improvements but I can still hear that parts of what I'm singing don't sound right.

[forbidden link]

If anyone could please have a listen and give me something constructive that would be really awesome.

Sorry for the bother!
Hope to hear from someone soon.

Ad.
reiyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiyt
Hey there.

I was just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give me a few singing tips?
I'm relatively new although I've had a few lessons and am seeing improvements but I can still hear that parts of what I'm singing don't sound right.

[forbidden link]

If anyone could please have a listen and give me something constructive that would be really awesome.

Sorry for the bother!
Hope to hear from someone soon.

Ad.

really, this is awfully vague. before i could give you any kind of advice, id have to know what youre good with and what youre not so good with

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
merriman44

He just didn't realize that links are disabled for a short time after registration to prevent spam bots. Op take out the .com of your link and we can see it
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #4
queenofthenight

I'd be glad to listen once the link is fixed.

For now, a bit of general advice that applies to anyone just starting lessons.

If it's only been a few lessons and you're seeing improvement, that's good. Nobody fixes everything overnight.

Sometimes a singer needs to accept that a particular issue is just gonna take a while to fix. It could be unlearning muscle memory. It could be that it takes a while to click mentally. It could be that a different teacher can explain it so it makes sense to you.

Lack of progress over a few weeks is not a reason to change teachers. Lack of progress over a few months may indicate an issue with the teacher. That said, if lack of progress over a few months coincides with a major life event and you're not losing vocal ground, take the wait and see approach. I had to drop a voice class once not because of the teacher but because I had too much crap going on in my life, and it wasn't fair to me or the teacher to try to continue. If I were on the same side of the country still, I'd want to study with her again.

If it hurts like you just had a good workout at the gym, that's fatigue. Push up against but don't push past your limits. Go back to it when your voice is rested. If it just plain hurts, don't do it again.

Above all, believe in yourself. I can't tell you enough how much simply believing in yourself affects performance quality. In my old church choir, my section was very sad to lose me to a cross country move, not because they couldn't hit the notes, but because they didn't believe they could.

Don't compare yourself to others. (Hey, that's neat, I want to learn that is OK. Gosh, I wish I could be half as good is not.) Focus on being the best YOU.

If you have to sing while sick, menthol cough drops are bad. If you numb your throat, not only do you not feel being sick, you don't feel when you push too hard, and you could hurt your voice.

Rate This Thread: