User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Gingerlocks
Dreadhead

Best way to learn bass?

Evening!

So... We're a bunch of guys, who's talking about starting up a band..
I was asked if i could play bass.
Thing is. I'd love to play bass in the band, but I'm not a very good bass player. I do have one though, and I cam jam along to a few songs i like..

But what does it take to become a good bass player? Should I keep on jamming to songs I like or?
Gingerlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
rprdo

Train until your idols become your rivals.
rprdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Norgz94

I dont play bass, but my firend borrowed a bass from his cousin for a LONG time and he let me fiddle with it for a while.

After playing guitar for 7-8 years, bass came naturally, however the new feel of it still has to be developed plus there are alot of different techniques and styles to play bass. I'm not gonna say Bass is easy, but it's easy to play right off the bat, but hard to master like all instruments and to develop smoothness.

So my only advice would be practice just how you would practice guitar, except really analyse your timing, try to be smooth when transitioning to different notes, use all your fingers (even on your picking hand) and play songs that would be fun and challenging to your level.
Norgz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Boreesimo
Master Of Music

Play to just drum tracks/ with real drummers for a while to learn how to 'lock in' with them, which is possibly the most important role of a bassist, keeping the tempo and the groove. You're timing, more so than everyone else, has to be impeccable. Playing jazz and funk is recommended as it truly shows what a bass does and its function in an ensemble. Always try to learn finger-style too, as it makes you just that bit more versatile.
Boreesimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
'DC fan

1980s movie montage, they usually work
'DC fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

I was going to suggest jamming to songs you like, yes. Eventually you'll learn so many songs that you'll have the techniques down.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Slap-happy

A lesson or two?
Old 10-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Well; it sounds as though you are not brand-new to playing, so what is your skill level? Do you already play guitar, or some other instrument? That makes a big difference in telling you where to start.

As others have suggested, your best bet is to begin by...playing! You've got a bass. Pick it up, tune it to standard tuning and dig in! Start with chromatic exercises to get your fingers used to doing what they need to do. Play with a metronome to help build up timing. The bass is far less forgiving about timing mistakes than are the other instruments, with the exception of the drums. You are the anchor of the rhythm section; always locked in with the drummer. You and the drummer need to practice holding rhythms, switching tempos, and some odd time signatures to help you handle the changes smoothly.

You need to learn your scales. Start with basic pentatonic scales, then hit the modes. Learn your major, minor, 6th, 7th and perhaps even a diminished chord forms. That should keep you busy for quite a while, and if you practice it well, it will take you very far.

Welcome to the Low End, my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
realsmoky

Do you know how to play guitar?

If no, search for somebody who can. Whoever knows how to play guitar knows how to play bass at a beginner level which is good for you.

Practice.

Learn simple riffs.

Search for bass tabs for Knocking on heavens doors. Most simple bassline you will ever find.
realsmoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsmoky
Do you know how to play guitar?

If no, search for somebody who can. Whoever knows how to play guitar knows how to play bass at a beginner level which is good for you.

Or find an actual bass teacher. Or watch a couple of reputable videos on the internet. Being taught to play bass by a guitarist who doesn't understand the bass will risk terrible technique.

Rate This Thread: