Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
nick.athanasiou

Question What Acoustic Guitar to choose??

I want to buy an acoustic guitar under 500euro so i now between these two..What do you think

Yamaha APX500II

Dreadnaut body
top Spruce
back and side nato/Meranti
Neck Nato
Fingerboard RoseWood
Bridge Rosewood
tuning system chrome die cast

Ibanez AEL40SE

Jambo body
top Solid Spruce
back and side Flamed Maple
Neck Mahogany
Bridge And fretboard rosewood
tuning machine gold die cast

Last edited by nick.athanasiou : 10-19-2013 at 10:04 AM.
nick.athanasiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Captaincranky

Well Nick, you're not going to get any traction asking for a recommendation on any Ibanez guitar in this forum, period.

With that said, the AEL40 is well up their line. I have an AEL10, which is all laminate. It's pleasant sounding, but needs brass strings to liven it up a bit. That's really not a big deal though.

In this case, the important part might be the difference in sound character, between a jumbo and a dreadnought. Dreads tend to boom a bit, whereas a jumbo still has gross amounts of bass, but it's usually better controlled.

Myself, and a couple of others around the forum, prefer the feel of the jumbo body over that of a dread, (in spite of the size), as the pinch in the waist tends to stabilize those guitars, especially when playing seated.

Yamahas tend to have good value for the money, and a few of their starter guitars could easily be considered "best buys", and they're recommended here, time and again.

The price range in which you're shopping, starts to encompass Chinese Guilds, (GAD series), and Takamine, both of which are worth considering as well.

If it's possible, I'd test guitars on a size/body style basis first, then tonal and playing characteristics. After which the brand/model issue should solve itself.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
shovelheadmike

Hard to get a better bang for your buck than an older deep bowl Ovation Legend. $300-$400 is typical. I have two, one straight acoustic, the other has electronics. I like their necks better than any other acoustic guitar. They sound pretty good and are very loud. Also have Taylor 710 and 315ce, not in your price range. Sold my Martin HD-28, sounded great, didn't like the neck. Had to have it reset after 10 years or so.
shovelheadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
shovelheadmike

If you have to have new, go with the solid top Yamaha D size.
shovelheadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
BIECOUL

I've got a Yamaha APX 700. It was a good guitar if you want to play with an amp.
But i've found a GUILD GAD 50 ...
It's a wonderful guitar for a price under 500$.
BIECOUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIECOUL
I've got a Yamaha APX 700. It was a good guitar if you want to play with an amp.
But i've found a GUILD GAD 50 ...
It's a wonderful guitar for a price under 500$.
OK, you get plus one point for the good recommendation on the Guild GAD series. (Or as I call them, "The Chinese Guilds").

However, you're dealing with a lefty here, and the correct model # for that is, "D-150L".

But, you lose the point, 'cus that jewel is a lot more than a nickel, ($833.00).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...acoustic-guitar

Last edited by Captaincranky : 11-01-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: