Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
chadbo

Worst Guitar Ever Played

Just curious, <1>What guitar that you have played has the worst tone you ever heard?. <2>What is the poorest constructed guitar that you have seen personally?

I personally have the same answer for both questions. It was a Luna guitar. The one with the laminated quilted maple top and the dragonfly near the sound hole.
chadbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

first act... probably the worst build and tone. also my rogue GC's build quality wasn't good. i've played some old harmony guitars that sounded pretty bad to me. it always amazes me when people praise them - to me, their tone is a tinny plink, plink sound.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
badfish_lewis

I can't even remember what it was called but it was an 80's, cheap, plastic, white electric guitar that was made in China and when I played it not only did I look as bad as C.C Deville, I probably sounded just as bad.
badfish_lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
...[ ].... i've played some old harmony guitars that sounded pretty bad to me. it always amazes me when people praise them - to me, their tone is a tinny plink, plink sound.
I had a Harmony arch top acoustic, and it sucked, big time. Just dead sounding. Same thing with a Harmony semi-hollow electric, worthless.

People get sucked into a hype vortex, and "vintage" garbage turns into, "priceless heirlooms".

Same thing with analog choruses and delays. Most of that, "warm vintage sound", is just noise in the delay chips.

I have a "real analog chorus" in my Peavey eCoustic 208. You have to turn it all the way down, and switch it to the channel you're not using. You can still hear the noise it makes. Wouldn't it fun to plug an old Harmony electric into it, record the whole mess on a tape deck without Dolby, and peddle the noisy, hissy, out of tune result, as an homage to the 50's.......(or NOT)......

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-21-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
stepchildusmc

oh where to start, where to start. i've tried so many bad ones....
i try hard to find and play a lot of the guitars that i see recommended here on this site. i've found a few gems but more often than not i find firewood. it seems that everytime someone asks about wihch guitar they should purchase, everyone chimes in with the most recent guitar that they have just purchased proclaiming it to be the holy grail of guitars. i try to search them out before making any personal comments/opinions on them.
i have yet to find a Luna, Rogue, Dean guitar to have any value as a player but they make nice wall art. i find that most low end "pretty" guitars sound like garbage. if you want to impress someone while holding a guitar, get a Luna. if you want to impress them by actually playing a guitar, start with a yamaha or something similar.
most people only see "guy with guitar" they couldn't tell if it was a $25 First Act or a $5k Martin Custom. only other players really see the guitars for what they are.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
stepchildusmc

or "girl with guitar" my apologies patti...... please don't lock me in the closet again...no patti...NO!....sigh..at least i can play Uno with the mice.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #7
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

*smack* BAD stepchildusmc!

btw, i didn't know mice played uno. you learn something on the internet every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
or "girl with guitar" my apologies patti...... please don't lock me in the closet again...no patti...NO!....sigh..at least i can play Uno with the mice.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:42 AM   #8
tom183

Considering its price tag, the Ibanez AW40 probably gets my vote.
tom183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
stepchildusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
*smack* BAD stepchildusmc!

btw, i didn't know mice played uno. you learn something on the internet every day

well with this as my theme song, how can i be a good steppy?
Old 10-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
bigginge

When I was 13, in '63, I had an uncle about 6 years older who was very good to me, took me to the worst pubs and taught me how to drink, gave me Ska records and American blues albums,etc. Well he went away for 6 months - my folks said he'd gone on holiday, I knew better - and when he came home he'd spent his 'holiday' making me a guitar. As I recall the strings were about 10mm above the frets, and the body was huge, even allowing for my small stature at the time, and the neck was as wide as my hand. I showed it to a family friend who played guitar and took one look and said it was unplayable, so I amused myself by wiring the strings to a small battery and through a string of torch bulbs painted different colours. I don't remember what happened to it, but I wish I still had it.
bigginge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigginge
When I was 13, in '63, I had an uncle about 6 years older who was very good to me, took me to the worst pubs and taught me how to drink...[ ]... ..Well he went away for 6 months - my folks said he'd gone on holiday, I knew better - and when he came home he'd spent his 'holiday' making me a guitar......[ ]... ..I don't remember what happened to it, but I wish I still had it.
Maybe you got drunk like you were taught, and left it somewhere....
Old 10-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #12
bigginge

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Maybe you got drunk like you were taught, and left it somewhere....

More than possible.
bigginge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
easily_suede

This piece of shit square thing. The finish was horrible; looked like wallpaper in a children's doctor's office, and the sound hole was square with flaps of cellophane like a long plastic vagina. The neck was cylindrical and shittily wedged into the body. There was no headstock, the strings were scotch taped to the end of the neck and i swear they were made of dental floss or something...I think it was a kleenex brand guitar? Anyway, I'm never buying that thing again.
easily_suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
dgonz
Rectified

Squier Strat. I want to vomit just thinking about it.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #15
nirvana_n_roses

carlos guitar (korean guitar)

nirvana_n_roses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #16
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana_n_roses
carlos guitar (korean guitar)
But, but, but, but, how could it be bad, it looks so much like an Ovation?

Oh wait, they're bad too......

(Y'all know that I said that, just to listen to the complaints I'm going to get about it, don't cha)?
Old 11-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
Bikewer

The open-mic club we used to play at years ago had a "house" guitar, an Ovation acoustic. Back when Ovation started out, they sent promotion men out and literally gave away numbers of guitars to various musicians and clubs and such.
This was one of those. It was in bad shape. Two large cracks across the face had been kind of spottily repaired and the whole set of strings had, to my knowledge, never been replaced at one time.
Rather, the owner of the joint, Frank, had a big box of miscellaneous strings in the back and whenever one would break he'd just dig out another that was close and stick it on.
So not only was the instrument abused but it always wore an ungodly assortment of strings.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #18
azrael4h

I used to work retail, and during one Christmas, we got a couple really cheap "guitars" in. The bridges would pull off the body if you tried to tune them to standard, so you had to detune them significantly. The action was extremely high, to the point of insanity, and if you did manage to play them, they sounded like crap.

We sent them back, they were so bad.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #19
Captaincranky

If you're somewhere in your sixties, I think you sold me one of those to learn on, and I'm still pissed about it.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
azrael4h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
If you're somewhere in your sixties, I think you sold me one of those to learn on, and I'm still pissed about it.

Well, unless you used a time machine, and I start selling them in about 30 years or so, that's probably not me. The ones I had got sent back to the warehouse.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: