Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
sundar334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
'Don't understand' would have been better still.

The thing is you said "they sound like shit", as if somehow there was any way of quantifying that or qualifying it beyond "mah feels!". That is what we took exception to; frankly I couldn't give less of a shit about your opinion either way.

Also: there's no discussion to be had in this. There never was if you'd phrased your opinion correctly.

Okay, so from now on i ask people to say things like they don't understand Twilight, John Grisham, One direction and Tom Hanks instead of using the term "Shit"
sundar334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
roushsn95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundar334
i mean where did things go wrong why is it so hard to find people these days who make music that is sorta life changing.

What does that mean? What other music have you seriously listened to make that statement? Don't you get a little bored and look for something different to expand your musical mind?

I grew up on classic rock and top 40. I progressed to grunge and then all those shredder guys as mentioned. Then mostly progressive rock, fusion and classic rock again. Now, I listen to mostly jazz and indie.

Your tastes and views will change with time. What doesn't appeal to you now, might in a few years. What appeals to you now might not in a few years. Right now, you sound like that "old guy" ("Back in my day…..") but less mature.

Just keep an open mind bro.

(I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse).
roushsn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #23
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundar334
Okay, so from now on i ask people to say things like they don't understand Twilight, John Grisham, One direction and Tom Hanks instead of using the term "Shit"

Frankly, yes. Or possibly a better term for some of those things would be "don't enjoy". There are plenty of reasons not to like those things but when it comes down to it they're all subjective anyway.

Taking the example of Twilight... I hate it, it's easily one of the worst books I've ever read in my mind and I can definitely justify that... but that doesn't mean other people are wrong to like it. There are also reasons to like it, they're just reasons I don't agree with. Same goes for all the others.

Twilight's a particularly weird example though since most people I've spoken to about it hate it on general principle rather than reading it first.

Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 11-05-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #24
_jevo98

US

My Favorites:
Mick Mars
Joe Perry
Brad Whitford
Eddie Van Halen
Slash Hudson
C.C. DeVille
Warren DiMartini
Robbin Crosby
Izzy Stradilin

There is a lot more.
_jevo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #25
Nickpocalypse
Thread Killer

I essentially just want to "+1" all of Zaphod's posts in this thread. I always enjoy reading posts by people who are more able to put my thoughts into writing than I am
I have a lot of respect for you Zaphod; and we seem to have pretty similar tastes. You might not remember but you creamed me in a "Calling all the Pit's Guitar Players" probably over a year ago, lol
I know a lot of people that share your opinion frequently, TS, including bandmates. I find this opinion is usually made to pander to a lot of people (it's a popular opinion), or possibly derived from intimidation by some of these modern, technical players and their ability. Not to discount the fact that I'm sure it's often the person's true opinion, like I'm sure it is for you, TS.
One example I take particular issue with is John Petrucci; I feel like people listen to a taste of Dream Theater and class JP as an emotionless shred robot. I used to think this exact same thing; and then I listened to Dream Theater's discography and was thoroughly surprised at how expressive a player JP is; a great example is his guitar solo on the recent Live at Luna Park DVD. For the first half he plays barely any notes at all!
Nickpocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #26
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumoku
thanks for all the information guys

china products

Oh you silly spam bot. You are not a peoples.

Rate This Thread: