Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
ericsabag12

Ibanez RGT 3020 vs Ibanez S1625

Hey,

I have a chance to buy one of these two guitars, same price.

I'm looking for a verstile sound, especially modern sound as Vai, Guthrie, even a bit of tremonti.
And as every guitarist, a bit of of classic bands such as guns N roses, led zepellin... I know I won't get such a sound from Ibanez, but I prefer guitar that can get something close to that.
That "main" sound I want to get is something like this one:
[forbidden link]

I've tried the RGT 3020, it's fantastic, but the seller doesn't have high gain amp and no pedals, so couldn't reach some of the tones I wantted, but I DO know that it will do what I need. In addition, the action was to high(I know it can be fixed easly, but still I couldn't check it as I want to), and no tremolo(He lost it, but he told me he will get me one if I buy the guitar).

I played the S1625 unplugged, its felt good, cant say what was better for my hands.
I will play it plugged soon.

In addition, the S1625 has floyd rose, which REALLY important to me, and the RGT has kind of tremolo that I dont know... how close is it to floyd rose?

Help plz?

Oh, what do you think about the price of 1150$ dollar(second hand)? and in Israel the prices REALLY high.
ericsabag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

S1625 is probably my favourite of the two, but the 24 frets of the RG might be a deal dealer for you.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
ericsabag12

The 24 frets does important to me, but I may choose 22 frets if it's a better one for me.

Why do you prefer the S1625? Just personal choice?
Which stays more in tune? better tremolo system? sustain?
Which is better for the tone I said I'm looking for?

Oh, does the RGT3020 really much more expensive from the S1625?

Last edited by ericsabag12 : 10-21-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
supersac

if theyre both from ibanez they come with a type of edge bridge if theyre both presitge the tremelo on them is just as good if not better than a floyd(from my experience at least)

i belive the S is made out of mahogany and the other out of bass wood not sure if that matter but ti might to you

the rg has 24 frets unlike the s wich 22
for me id get the S the thin body is really nice if you gig
but you cant really go wrong with either

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
stonyman65
Unregistered User

You can't go wrong with either, but here's the breakdown:

The RGT is neck through (neck and body are one piece) with a mahogany body, maple neck, and 24 fret rosewood fretboard. It has an Edge Pro tremolo which is Ibanez's take on a Floyd Rose. They are outstanding trems, and depending on who you talk to will say that it is even better than an Original Floyd Rose. It has two humbuckers with a 5 way switch.

All in all a fantastic guitar.

The S is a bolt on, with a thin and tapered mahogany body with a bolt on maple neck with a 22 fret rosewood fretboard. The tremolo is a ZR bridge, that uses ball bearings instead of knife edges like the Floyd Rose type would have. The spring system is completely different than on a Floyd, and has a more "springy" feel to it. It's a completely proprietary system. The guitar has the typical humbucker-single-humbucker setup with a 5 way switch.

Also a fantastic guitar.

My advice would be to play both and see which one feels and sounds best to you. They are both Japanese made Ibanez's, so the quality between should be the same.

My biggest concern (besides from the setup issues you mentioned) would be that the truss rod works correctly and the frets are in good shape.

Other than that.... Take your pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
ericsabag12

Thank on the comments!

I guess that the neck-thru is better than bolt on, but does the bolt on has andvantages I should think about?

About the tremolo, the S has kind of floating bridge, how close the RGT bridge is to that? I'm really looking after tricks such as dive bombs...

Which one has better tone for what Im looing for("I'm looking for a verstile sound, especially modern sound as Vai, Guthrie, even a bit of tremonti. And as every guitarist, a bit of of classic bands such as guns N roses, led zepellin... I know I won't get such a sound from Ibanez, but I prefer guitar that can get something close to that.")?
I'm trying to add a youtube video for the sound I'm looking for as the "main" sound, seach "Suhr Riot distortion Prymaxe" it'll be the first one.

Oh and the S has humbucker-humbucker setup.

How do I check the truss road? Usually I'm not touching it.
And the frets... It does feel old, does it called they are not "in good shape"(didn't annoy me while playing).

Oh, and what do you think about the price?

Edit:
Oh man, now I see that the edge pro is floating too, I guess it suitable for Steve Vai's kind of stuff right?
Does the Edge pro has to have 5 tremolo spirngs? Cuz If I remember right the RGT I checked had 3-4...

Last edited by ericsabag12 : 10-22-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsabag12
Thank on the comments!

I guess that the neck-thru is better than bolt on, but does the bolt on has andvantages I should think about?

About the tremolo, the S has kind of floating bridge, how close the RGT bridge is to that? I'm really looking after tricks such as dive bombs...

Which one has better tone for what Im looing for("I'm looking for a verstile sound, especially modern sound as Vai, Guthrie, even a bit of tremonti. And as every guitarist, a bit of of classic bands such as guns N roses, led zepellin... I know I won't get such a sound from Ibanez, but I prefer guitar that can get something close to that.")?
I'm trying to add a youtube video for the sound I'm looking for as the "main" sound, seach "Suhr Riot distortion Prymaxe" it'll be the first one.

Oh and the S has humbucker-humbucker setup.

How do I check the truss road? Usually I'm not touching it.
And the frets... It does feel old, does it called they are not "in good shape"(didn't annoy me while playing).

Oh, and what do you think about the price?

Edit:
Oh man, now I see that the edge pro is floating too, I guess it suitable for Steve Vai's kind of stuff right?
Does the Edge pro has to have 5 tremolo spirngs? Cuz If I remember right the RGT I checked had 3-4...

The truss rod adjusts the curve of the neck. It's not something that you really need to mess with besides when you setup the guitar. If you're not sure, take it to a tech and have them look at it. The truss rod isn't something you want to be messing with unless you know what you are doing.

Check for any tarnishing or rust on the frets (can be removed easily with neverdull or gorgomyte) What you want to look for are frets that are uneven of have lots of wear on them like the fret being completely flat rather than rounded on the top. You'll notice lots of buzz and things will sound out of tune if they frets are worn. Once again, take the guitar to a tech and have them look at it if you can.

As far as neck through vs bolt on, that's really personal preference. One's not better than the other. Sometimes people don't like the paint on neck though necks and are afraid it might chip or get dented. On the other hand if something happens to a bolt on, you can just take the neck off and replace it with another one - you can't really do that with a neck through.

There probably isn't going to be that much difference sound-wise between them. They both use the same woods, and similar pickups so it will be very similar. I'd worry more about the pickups than anything else wood-wise, and pickups can be swapped out easily if you want something to sound different so that's not a big deal. As far as that type of sound and music, I'm sure those guitars will work just fine.

As far as the Edge Pro springs go, you can use anywhere from 2-5 depending on how much tension you need. If you are running 9 or 10 gauge strings, I doubt you'll need any more than 3, maybe 4 at the most. If you go with heavier gauges than you'll need to add more springs as needed.

With the ZR bridge, you can't add any more springs than what is already there because of how the system works. Once you run out of room for adjustment you're stuck. Once again, that shouldn't be an issue unless you are using really heavy gauge strings that need that extra tension.

If they are in good shape, the price seems about right, maybe a little high. Those are some pretty high-end Ibanez's, so even new you were looking at $1,500 or so. I can't see either of those going for much less than $900-$1,000 even if they aren't in the best shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.

Last edited by stonyman65 : 10-22-2013 at 01:48 AM.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:12 AM   #8
ericsabag12

Thank on the very helping reply man!

About the truss rod, I know all of it, just don't touch it cuz I afraid t odestroy something, I will take it to a tech.

I asked about the tremolo springs just cuz I want to be sure that the tremolo is really the edge pro.
Ahh... I wish I could play both of them at the same time...

Which is more expensive as new guitar?
Just curious...

Last edited by ericsabag12 : 10-22-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

I believe the rgt is about 400 more expensive .
However I could be completely wrong please feel free to correct me
Btw, the rgt tremolo will be awesome for vai kind of stuff

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Last edited by randomguy2000 : 10-23-2013 at 01:12 PM.
randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
ericsabag12

The right.. do you mean that the S1625 is about 400$ more expensive?
That's a big difference.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Thank on the very helping reply man!

About the truss rod, I know all of it, just don't touch it cuz I afraid t odestroy something, I will take it to a tech.

I asked about the tremolo springs just cuz I want to be sure that the tremolo is really the edge pro.
Ahh... I wish I could play both of them at the same time...

Which is more expensive as new guitar?
Just curious...

You only need to touch the truss rod if you are getting fret buzz on you lower frets. If there's no buzz, you shouldn't touch it. But it's good to know what to do with it. You won't destroy your guitar if you touch it. Only if you do some extreme adjustments with it, it could do something bad. But I have adjusted my truss rod many times (and even first turned it to the wrong direction - but I noticed that the fret buzz got worse so I turned it to the other direction and got rid of the buzz) and nothing bad has happened. If it needs adjustment, just be careful with it and don't do anything extreme (like with any adjustments). Truss rod is not something you should be scared of.

Oh, and I guess you could just buy more springs if you needed them. I think my Charvel has only two or three springs.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 10-22-2013 at 09:00 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
The right.. do you mean that the S1625 is about 400$ more expensive?
That's a big difference.

i think he meant the rgt and made an unfortunate typo. the neck-thrus were normally a fair bit more expensive. IIRC.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
ericsabag12

I guess that I would choose the RGT amoung these two.

BUT, the seller from the musical store at my city told me that he can find for me some 90s' Ibanez, he knows about RG550 and RG570, I know nothing about these Ibanez, what do you think about it?

I think he is talking about one like this:

About the same price, around 1200$.
Now I just checked some in ebay and they are very... cheap

Last edited by ericsabag12 : 10-23-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i think he meant the rgt and made an unfortunate typo. the neck-thrus were normally a fair bit more expensive. IIRC.

this man is right-bloody autocorrect
i will edit original post.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^

^^ the 570 and 550 are essentially just the 1570 and 1550. Before ~2003, I think, they weren't called prestige, but they're more or less the same guitar.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #16
ericsabag12

So I guess that the RGT3020 is much better than these 90s' guitars, no?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

it's a higher end model which is probably worth more, but in terms of the quality of the guitar... probably not much in it. I don't have that much experience myself, but I know a lot of people say the older Ibanezes are better.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #18
ericsabag12

Hey again,

It's like god wants me to be confussed, after deciding on the RGT 3020 over some other models, I suddenly notice a sale in the local store on Ibanez Prestige RG3250MZ-DY, and there is a good chance that I will get enough money for that.

Which one do you think is better? What are the pros and cons for each one?
I guess that the RGT3020 has better tremolo, and most would say better pickups, and I guess that the neck thru is better for me.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah pretty much. in terms of the general quality they should be quite similar (well, ignoring the possible "the older ones are better" rumours I keep hearing, anyway ) but the neck-thru one is a higher-end model which was worth more.

it's really up to you. if you can try them both, that'd be the thing. Some of the neck-thrus (not sure if that one is one of them) had different neck profiles, too, so that'd be worth bearing in mind.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
ericsabag12

I'm going tommarow to try the RG3250MZ, I wish I could try them both at same time...

About the neck, the RGT has ultra neck and the RG3250MZ has the Super Wizard HP Prestige,
I didnt really understand what's better for techniqe and shreding, and what for any other purpose(I have a big hand).

And the basswood of the RG3250, what is the sound color he has? Never tried it before.

Rate This Thread: